Glenn Robinson III Doesn't Understand Why 76ers Traded For Him

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 292

Glenn Robinson III Doesn't Understand Why 76ers Traded For Him 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Fri Feb 28, 2020 4:03 pm

The Philadelphia 76ers acquired Glenn Robinson III and Alec Burks from the Golden State Warriors at the trade deadline to give the team more depth on the wing.

Robinson has had his playing time cut in half, which has been disappointing considering he'll be a free agent this offseason. 

“Even when (Golden State) played Philly, I showed them what I could do,” Robinson told Basketball Insiders. “So to play those consistent minutes a night and perform well… that’s the most disappointing part about coming here is that — both of us (are) coming off career years where we’re looking at hopefully big numbers after the season. I know I’ve got a family to feed. So you think about all those things.

“All those things play a role, and then when you come here and your role’s not really explained or you don’t know what’s going on with the trade — it’s not like it was a trade where you come in and immediately have an impact. It’s a little different, so… this team is full of wings, full of guys who can play. So really, I don’t really understand it. But it’s a business, you’ve got to make it happen and go out and try to do your best every night.”

Robinson hopes he'll play a bigger role as the season continues.

“As a competitor, as an NBA player — this is my sixth year — I think that’s always gonna be there to want more and more,” Robinson told Basketball Insiders. “So I’m definitely interested to see what happens down the stretch here.”

Robinson also talked about the impact changing teams in the middle of the season has on a player.

“You’ve got family. You’ve got to try to get out of a lease, move your stuff, all of that. I think that people don’t realize how much it is,” Robinson told Basketball Insiders. “You’re expected to be at the next place in like the next day or two after the trade, so I think it’s just a lot going on. And then, you’ve got to go out on a court and focus and play like nothing happened.

“I mean at the end of the day, we’re still human beings. And that’s what I tell people all the time. To try to get people on a flight the next day is crazy to me. But it is a business. It is what it is at the end of the day and we just try to make it work.”

Via Spencer Davies/Basketball Insiders

Hipster Doofus
Head Coach
And1: 6,490

Re: Glenn Robinson III Doesn't Understand Why 76ers Traded For Him 

Post#2 » by Hipster Doofus » Fri Feb 28, 2020 5:37 pm

Oh, another NBA player with a family to feed...

Latrell says wassup.
Truth is on the side of the oppressed.
elgrandeques0
Ballboy
And1: 11

Post#3 » by elgrandeques0 » Fri Feb 28, 2020 6:16 pm

FOH with that "I've got a family to feed" bull, Glenn. Over the past 6 years, you've made 27 times more than I have and I feed my family just fine.
Wo1verine
2015 Beat the Commish Champion
And1: 11,761

Post#4 » by Wo1verine » Fri Feb 28, 2020 6:40 pm

elgrandeques0 wrote:FOH with that "I've got a family to feed" bull, Glenn. Over the past 6 years, you've made 27 times more than I have and I feed my family just fine.

You unlike many NBA players are responsible with money - Perhaps Glenn is already broke? :lol:
BrunoSkull
The Laker Kid
General Manager
And1: 6,491

Post#5 » by The Laker Kid » Fri Feb 28, 2020 6:44 pm

Latrell Sprewell was his idol growing up
MaxwellSmart wrote:I hate to say this, but Go Lakers....
TimRobbins
General Manager
And1: 2,242

Post#6 » by TimRobbins » Fri Feb 28, 2020 6:48 pm

elgrandeques0 wrote:FOH with that "I've got a family to feed" bull, Glenn. Over the past 6 years, you've made 27 times more than I have and I feed my family just fine.

I can understand a person wanting to maximize his earnings. Nothing wrong with that. But “I hava a family to feed” is just dumb.
youngcrev
RealGM
And1: 8,446

Post#7 » by youngcrev » Fri Feb 28, 2020 7:06 pm

I understand why he'd be upset. Pending free agent that was having a career year because of the ample opportunity that was provided to him playing for a bottom dweller. That same level of opportunity just isn't there with the Sixers.

That said, he was given an opportunity to start with the Sixers immediately and it should be fairly obvious what role he was brought into play - defend and make shots. He just hasn't performed. He's 0-9 from 3 since joining the Sixers and hasn't been good defensively.
LiSTWithLani
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,151

Post#8 » by LiSTWithLani » Fri Feb 28, 2020 7:27 pm

youngcrev wrote:I understand why he'd be upset. Pending free agent that was having a career year because of the ample opportunity that was provided to him playing for a bottom dweller. That same level of opportunity just isn't there with the Sixers.

That said, he was given an opportunity to start with the Sixers immediately and it should be fairly obvious what role he was brought into play - defend and make shots. He just hasn't performed. He's 0-9 from 3 since joining the Sixers and hasn't been good defensively.

ding, ding, ding... show up and play well for a competitive team and you'll get your money.
TheCage4
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 516

Post#9 » by TheCage4 » Fri Feb 28, 2020 9:16 pm

I hope he’s in the G-League next season....bong!
“And where once you had the freedom to object, to think and speak as you saw fit, you now have censors and systems of surveillance coercing your conformity and soliciting your submission.” -Alan Moore
BernteB
Senior
And1: 905

Post#10 » by BernteB » Fri Feb 28, 2020 9:28 pm

his father made 80 millions during his nba career. he can probably help him out in case he cannot feed his family.
HotelVitale
RealGM
And1: 9,767

Post#11 » by HotelVitale » Fri Feb 28, 2020 9:37 pm

C'mon, man, you have to at least maintain the pretense of integrity. He's basically saying 'it sucks that the playing on the Sixers is exposing that I'm a garbage-stats player who can't contribute to a decent team.' You can't say that to the press, makes you look like an idiot and it's not going to improve things with the team you're stuck with for the rest of the year. One of the dumber PR moves I've seen in a long time, say this to your buds and not to the national media.
spree2kawhi
General Manager
And1: 3,811

Post#12 » by spree2kawhi » Fri Feb 28, 2020 9:40 pm

Sprewell was also concerned with his family and how he would feed them. Next thing you know, he was out of the league...
Dan33185
Senior
And1: 940

Post#13 » by Dan33185 » Fri Feb 28, 2020 10:15 pm

:roll:

Priest24
Pro Prospect
And1: 830

Post#14 » by Priest24 » Fri Feb 28, 2020 10:23 pm

Some people need to understand context.
My opinion may not be your opinion or their opinion but I have it.
Morris_Shatford
Senior Mod - Raptors
Senior Mod - Raptors
And1: 5,449

Post#15 » by Morris_Shatford » Fri Feb 28, 2020 10:47 pm

He needed his role explained to him?
Thanks to Turbozone for the Sig!
Metallikid
RealGM
And1: 9,962

Post#16 » by Metallikid » Fri Feb 28, 2020 11:06 pm

Shut up and play, Glen. Nobody wants a whiner in free agency.
SmashMouthRod
Rookie
And1: 210

Post#17 » by SmashMouthRod » Fri Feb 28, 2020 11:11 pm

I can see why he would not want to be in Philly but he should have just made the most of the situation and simply turned down any offers from them in the off-season. He could have then looked for a better fit and maintained his reputation as "team first".
The_Hater
GHOAT (Greatest Hater Of All Time)
And1: 40,048

Post#18 » by The_Hater » Sat Feb 29, 2020 12:59 am

Metallikid wrote:Shut up and play, Glen. Nobody wants a whiner in free agency.

Ding ding ding.

Seriously, if GRob thinks that voicing this opinion is a good idea, he’s not very smart. He’s got a losers mindset.
AthensBucks wrote:Lowry is done.
Nurse is below average at best.
Masai is overrated.
I dont get how so many people believe in the raptors,they have zero to chance to win it all.

April 14th, 2019.
TMac Culloch
Sophomore
And1: 53

Post#19 » by TMac Culloch » Sat Feb 29, 2020 1:38 am

God damn this team is a mess :(
Boneman2
General Manager
And1: 1,532

Post#20 » by Boneman2 » Sat Feb 29, 2020 2:16 am

BernteB wrote:his father made 80 millions during his nba career. he can probably help him out in case he cannot feed his family.

Perfectly good point. GRIII grew up a multi millionaire.
"A man who fears suffering is already suffering from what he fears." -Michel de Montaigne

Return to Wiretap Discussion