Unnamed GM: Kawhi Leonard Scared The Living Hell Out Of Everyone To Take Player-Centric Approach

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

Unnamed GM: Kawhi Leonard Scared The Living Hell Out Of Everyone To Take Player-Centric Approach 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Tue Mar 3, 2020 4:54 pm

Teams across the NBA have shifted their power structure over the past few years to appear more player-centric and have erred on the side of caution to protect them from injuries, especially over the long-term.

Several executives point to the way Kawhi Leonard forcing a trade from the San Antonio Spurs in 2018 over a disagreement on how to handle his quad issue.

“Kawhi scared the living hell out of everyone,” one general manager told Tom Haberstroh of NBC Sports. “If it can happen to the Spurs, it can happen to anybody.”

The Toronto Raptors and Leonard worked together on a rest strategy that resulted in a championship. The Los Angeles Clippers have taken a similar approach with Leonard this season.

The Minnesota Timberwolves were recently fined $25,000 for resting D'Angelo Russell in the first night of a back-to-back. The Wolves subsequently released the following statement:

“We are a player-centric organization that's focused on learning and optimizing our players' bodies. As a new player in our program, we chose to rest D'Angelo in order to learn his body better and to optimize his health during a difficult stretch of games and travel.”

Via Tom Haberstroh/NBC Sports

Beam Me Up Foxy
Lead Assistant
And1: 655

Re: Unnamed GM: Kawhi Leonard Scared The Living Hell Out Of Everyone To Take Player-Centric Approach 

Post#2 » by Beam Me Up Foxy » Tue Mar 3, 2020 10:09 pm

Translation... These bozos all get paid too much if they worry about an injuries, both players and front offices for enabling entitled athletes.

Im not spending ticket money on russian roulette if kawhi has recovered from his hurt groin game in and game out.

Sent from my SM-N976V using Tapatalk
puja21
Bench Warmer
And1: 187

Re: Unnamed GM: Kawhi Leonard Scared The Living Hell Out Of Everyone To Take Player-Centric Approach 

Post#3 » by puja21 » Tue Mar 3, 2020 10:16 pm

Hield of Dreams wrote:Translation... These bozos all get paid too much if they worry about an injuries, both players and front offices for enabling entitled athletes.

Im not spending ticket money on russian roulette if kawhi has recovered from his hurt groin game in and game out.

Leonard was clearly playing on an injured quad last playoff. Woudln't be surprising if it's chronic and involving scar tissue by now. Clearly it's rational for the organization and player to worry about injuries and try to extend careers.

Your hypothetical ticket revenue won't be missed.

Ticketing is a distant 3rd in revenue, lagging well behind both TV/streaming deals and merchandising.
Barcs
Veteran
And1: 712

Post#4 » by Barcs » Tue Mar 3, 2020 11:00 pm

They are scared, because players have power now and billionaires have to sit back and take it.
SELL THE TEAM, JIM!!! :curse:
Cookin Baskets
Sixth Man
And1: 265

Post#5 » by Cookin Baskets » Tue Mar 3, 2020 11:38 pm

Hield of Dreams wrote:Translation... These bozos all get paid too much if they worry about an injuries, both players and front offices for enabling entitled athletes.

Umm..yea of course players want to enable themselves.
I don't think I Trust The Process anymore! :banghead:
We are the originals! We are the Philadelphia 76ers!
hyberx
Starter
And1: 384

Post#6 » by hyberx » Wed Mar 4, 2020 12:40 am

That's BS. What was so not "Player-Centric Approach" before Kawhi jumped ship? Every team knows their top players are their biggest asset and the superstars always have power over their franchise. It has never been in the franchise's interest to get their top players injured and have them ride the bench in a suit. I don't know what the disagreement was between Spurs and Kawhi's camp, and I love Kawhi as a person and player, but saying what he did made the league more "player-centric" is just BS.
kb24k
Junior
And1: 355

Post#7 » by kb24k » Wed Mar 4, 2020 1:58 am

puja21 wrote:

Leonard was clearly playing on an injured quad last playoff. Woudln't be surprising if it's chronic and involving scar tissue by now. Clearly it's rational for the organization and player to worry about injuries and try to extend careers.

Ticketing is a distant 3rd in revenue, lagging well behind both TV/streaming deals and merchandising.

While those are the primary source revenue, tickets are still a huge part of the revenue. Plus those who go to games tend to be able to spend more money on merchandise. Nba doesn't want to piss them. That is why they give fines now when players are sitting out.

Your statement makes no sense.
tigerae
Rookie
And1: 233

Post#8 » by tigerae » Wed Mar 4, 2020 2:27 am

kb24k wrote:
puja21 wrote:

While those are the primary source revenue, tickets are still a huge part of the revenue. Plus those who go to games tend to be able to spend more money on merchandise. Nba doesn't want to piss them. That is why they give fines now when players are sitting out.

His post makes some sense. Clippers have been selling out night and night out, so were the Raptors so a few fans that won't buy tickets for a game or two a season won't hurt them.

Players are what makes this sport interesting and as a Clippers fan, Lakers fan and a fan of the sport, I'm all for them sitting players if they feel they need the rest or whatever the case. The big picture is to play for a championship, so me not seeing Kawhi, PG, LBJ or AD when I go to a game doesn't bother me. I go there for the atmosphere and to cheer for my team. I went to games when they had no chance as well and still enjoyed myself.

This is a player's career. They have the right to make sure they have long successful careers for them and their families.

You guys are putting the blame on the wrong people. This all stems down from the billionaires wanting more money, pressuring their staff to make sure players play. They did it with Kawhi in San Antonio, Iggy and KD in Golden State amomg many other similar situations. It is up tk the training staff to diagnose the injury correctly and to only allow the player to play once he is actually ready and will have very minimal chance of reinjuring the same injury, if at all.
TheCage4
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 518

Post#9 » by TheCage4 » Wed Mar 4, 2020 3:15 am

I’d like to see players contracts in the future contain clauses that involve playing time. Significant raises in overall pay for hitting a certain number of games played.

I think we’d see a lot less “load management” if a guy knew he’d be leaving money on the table. It would solve everyone’s issue. Fans get the experience of the best players playing, the players get paid, and no one is fined or looks like the bad guy.
“And where once you had the freedom to object, to think and speak as you saw fit, you now have censors and systems of surveillance coercing your conformity and soliciting your submission.” -Alan Moore
tigerae
Rookie
And1: 233

Post#10 » by tigerae » Wed Mar 4, 2020 3:49 am

TheCage4 wrote:I’d like to see players contracts in the future contain clauses that involve playing time. Significant raises in overall pay for hitting a certain number of games played.

I think we’d see a lot less “load management” if a guy knew he’d be leaving money on the table. It would solve everyone’s issue. Fans get the experience of the best players playing, the players get paid, and no one is fined or looks like the bad guy.

Stop watching the game if it bothers you so much. I will be over here enjoying the game of basketball. I want my teams healthy for their playoff runs thank you very much.

The teams and league are just fine with sitting players, especially if it makes sense to prevent injuries or help heal existing ones. No fines for the Clippers as they provided proper medical information for Kawhi and in turned fined the Wolves, as they did not do the same.

Lastly, the Players Association will never allow that to happen unless the owners are willing to fork over more of their profits to salaries and have injury clauses where players still get paid if they are injured.
kb24k
Junior
And1: 355

Post#11 » by kb24k » Wed Mar 4, 2020 4:07 am

tigerae wrote:
kb24k wrote:
puja21 wrote:

His post makes some sense. Clippers have been selling out night and night out, so were the Raptors so a few fans that won't buy tickets for a game or two a season won't hurt them.

Players are what makes this sport interesting and as a Clippers fan, Lakers fan and a fan of the sport, I'm all for them sitting players if they feel they need the rest or whatever the case. The big picture is to play for a championship, so me not seeing Kawhi, PG, LBJ or AD when I go to a game doesn't bother me. I go there for the atmosphere and to cheer for my team. I went to games when they had no chance as well and still enjoyed myself.

This is a player's career. They have the right to make sure they have long successful careers for them and their families.

You guys are putting the blame on the wrong people. This all stems down from the billionaires wanting more money, pressuring their staff to make sure players play. They did it with Kawhi in San Antonio, Iggy and KD in Golden State amomg many other similar situations. It is up tk the training staff to diagnose the injury correctly and to only allow the player to play once he is actually ready and will have very minimal chance of reinjuring the same injury, if at all.

The problem is the away games.
I was strictly referring to the comment regarding tickets.
There is a reason why the NBA gives those fines and why they are asking teams to rest players on home games. They know their business much better than us. Especially since everything is private and they don't disclose details.
the13thjoker
Sophomore
And1: 30

Post#12 » by the13thjoker » Wed Mar 4, 2020 5:28 am

tigerae wrote:
TheCage4 wrote:I’d like to see players contracts in the future contain clauses that involve playing time. Significant raises in overall pay for hitting a certain number of games played.

Stop watching the game if it bothers you so much. I will be over here enjoying the game of basketball. I want my teams healthy for their playoff runs thank you very much.

The teams and league are just fine with sitting players, especially if it makes sense to prevent injuries or help heal existing ones. No fines for the Clippers as they provided proper medical information for Kawhi and in turned fined the Wolves, as they did not do the same.

Lastly, the Players Association will never allow that to happen unless the owners are willing to fork over more of their profits to salaries and have injury clauses where players still get paid if they are injured.

Exactly - fans of teams can get behind young guys getting extra play time and showing what they can do in limited games where stars sit to rest and that only helps in playoffs too.
jlokine
Analyst
And1: 3,934

Post#13 » by jlokine » Wed Mar 4, 2020 5:30 am

as a player, would you accept that contract if you had choices like kawhi leonard? it might work for the fringe nba guys.. but this wouldnt work for any legit nba starter in this league. they'll just go to a team that offers them a contract without that clause..
Batsy
Sophomore
And1: 30

Post#14 » by Batsy » Wed Mar 4, 2020 7:27 am

Barcs wrote:They are scared, because players have power now and billionaires have to sit back and take it.

If you think for one second that one single player (or even fifty) could make those old rich white men bend over and take it, you might want to look at the careers over Carmelo, Allen Iverson, and many others that have suffered because that wouldn't "play ball".

Return to Wiretap Discussion