Windhorst: 'Significant Amount Of Pessimism' That NBA Will Restart Season

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

Windhorst: 'Significant Amount Of Pessimism' That NBA Will Restart Season 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Sat Apr 4, 2020 5:18 am

The NBA is "angling" for a deal to shut down the rest of the season, sources told Brian Windhorst of ESPN.

"The talks between the players union and the league this week, I've talked to both sides of this issue, and it is clear that the NBA is angling to set up a deal that enables them to shut the season down," said Windhorst during an appearance on Sportscenter.

"Now they don't have to do that yet, and the way they're negotiating they're leaving themselves an option either way, but they're not having talks about how to restart the league, they're having financial talks about what would happen if the season shuts down, and I think there is a significant amount of pessimism right now," added Windhorst.

Windhorst pointed to the Chinese Basketball Association delaying their season as a blow to the NBA's hopes, citing a potential second wave of positive COVID-19 tests in the country caused by asymptomatic carriers.

The CBA delayed the start of their season earlier this week. 

Via Brian Windhorst/ESPN

IWishIWasHarden
Sixth Man
And1: 159

Re: Windhorst: 'Significant Amount Of Pessimism' That NBA Will Restart Season 

Post#2 » by IWishIWasHarden » Sat Apr 4, 2020 7:42 am

Oh great.

Now my Rockets can get a center during the offseason and hopefully a new owner also.

Tilman had been trying to stay under the salary cap while the team had been trying to win a championship if you can imagine this.

And this is a man who is from Houston . . . willingly tried to hurt the Rockets to fill his own pockets and he is from Houston. Terribly conceited individual. He should never have purchased the team.
BigHustle
Pro Prospect
And1: 156

Post#3 » by BigHustle » Sat Apr 4, 2020 11:46 am

Is there a refund for league pass?
kenwood3333
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,196

Post#4 » by kenwood3333 » Sat Apr 4, 2020 1:56 pm

Looking at the current situation,the US is barely capable of dealing with the first wave of virus.
TheCage4
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 518

Post#5 » by TheCage4 » Sat Apr 4, 2020 2:16 pm

I have to imagine that this was the mindset from the start despite the constant talks of “restarting” the season.

We have to favor realism over optimism, health and safety over money. I know it’s hard to swallow, but it’s the right move.

Shut down the NBA & NHL for the remainder of their seasons. Postpone MLB until the summer, leave the NFL to start normal if they can.

Let’s start getting something right.
“And where once you had the freedom to object, to think and speak as you saw fit, you now have censors and systems of surveillance coercing your conformity and soliciting your submission.” -Alan Moore
Vegeta10176
Sixth Man
And1: 243

Post#6 » by Vegeta10176 » Sat Apr 4, 2020 3:09 pm

TheCage4 wrote:I have to imagine that this was the mindset from the start despite the constant talks of “restarting” the season.

We have to favor realism over optimism, health and safety over money. I know it’s hard to swallow, but it’s the right move.

Shut down the NBA & NHL for the remainder of their seasons. Postpone MLB until the summer, leave the NFL to start normal if they can.

NFL will not be starting normal and NBA won't be able to get up and running either.. I doubt the NBA will even really start it's new season in October it really is disappointing but its a pandemic that won't really end until there is a vaccine..
Sam195
Analyst
And1: 310

Post#7 » by Sam195 » Sat Apr 4, 2020 3:32 pm

Vegeta10176 wrote:
TheCage4 wrote:I have to imagine that this was the mindset from the start despite the constant talks of “restarting” the season.

NFL will not be starting normal and NBA won't be able to get up and running either.. I doubt the NBA will even really start it's new season in October it really is disappointing but its a pandemic that won't really end until there is a vaccine..

Canada is flattening that curve much better than the US. The NBA could host all its intended few regular season games to finish a shortened season and a potential playoffs infront of fan absent arenas exclusively in major Canadian markets like Toronto,Ottawa,Vancouver, Montreal, Edmonton, Calgary and Halifax to name a few cities. The virus spread, testing capacity and lack of ventilators seems like it is going to be a recurring issue for the US during the pandemic even when current states with outbreaks peak and decline but a state like Nevada that hasn't been hit very hard yet will likely soon see a spike in cases which could screw the nba's plans to exclusively finish the regular season and conduct the playoffs in Las Vegas again.
Knick4Real
General Manager
And1: 7,574

Post#8 » by Knick4Real » Sat Apr 4, 2020 5:24 pm

The thing to remember here is that this is a GAME... which ends with someone receiving a metal trophy. So, the point is, playing a GAME just to finish a season is irrelevant in the midst of a global pandemic. Basically, a nuclear bomb exploded and impacted the earth. In that scenario, would we still be talking about a game or about survival?? Yeah, I know all about the ramifications of who gets the #1 draft pick and all that, but we have to consider priorities. And in the scope of life, a GAME ain't one of them.
WC NBA Fan
Junior
And1: 187

Post#9 » by WC NBA Fan » Sat Apr 4, 2020 5:26 pm

Everything that I've heard is that they were trying to do anything and everything possible to salvage a season so that all the games they played this season don't go wasted.

If that's so, they can do that and still salvage what everyone played for.

Let's say that they conclude that it's gonna take a year to safely return to normal, whatever normal turns out to be. Rejoin the season in 2021 right where it ended in 2020. March 11th or the 2nd Wednesday in March. Re-start the season with the exact same schedule that we were gonna play in 2020 only it's in 2021.

Opening night is the Pelicans and Sacramento as well as the Thunder and Jazz. Add whatever other games got cancelled, if there were any. For ceremonial purposes, you could even have the Thunder doctor run FROM the court to the locker room as a symbol of what the night stands for. Consider it the one and only time a team doctor gets a standing ovation.

No free agency between now and then. Exact same rosters. Everyone's contract moves back a year. For example, if your contract was up in 2022, it will now be up in 2023.

No draft either. If you have already applied for the draft, it gets voided. Those guys have the option of going back to college to study, do the TFerg/Lamelo thing and play in a foreign league if it's safe or just do the Mitchell Robinson thing and work out on their own for a year.

Until then, no money comes in and no money comes out. If players need assistance, billionaire owners can front as much as they need then deduct it for when games start up again.

Instead of the 2019-20 season, we call it the 2019/20/21 season. No games go to waste and we wait until it's safe to play in front of crowds of 18,000 again, assuming it's safe a year from now.

I'm not suggesting the entire business sector do this. We're gonna have to start up a lot earlier than that. Most businesses don't require 18,000 people to be in one place at once. Let small and big businesses alike get their feet back on the ground then take care of the non-essentials and big crowd businesses down the road.
Dr Huge Pecs
Senior
And1: 79

Post#10 » by Dr Huge Pecs » Sat Apr 4, 2020 5:44 pm

Oh gee.... well i still hope the players get priority in testing over everyone else.... and all the super fancy face masks...maybe a sponsorship for facemasks...to make ends meet

I would like to see a game played in face masks actually...actually hazmat suits, why not? Get on it NBA because everyone gives a TOTAL s*&#
StarH2O
General Manager
And1: 40

Post#11 » by StarH2O » Sat Apr 4, 2020 6:09 pm

How about just end the season there and do a March Madness type tournament with the current seeds with best out of 3 series or something.
Dick Tate
Starter
And1: 1,868

Post#12 » by Dick Tate » Sat Apr 4, 2020 6:36 pm

Sam195 wrote:
Vegeta10176 wrote:

Canada is flattening that curve much better than the US. The NBA could host all its intended few regular season games to finish a shortened season and a potential playoffs infront of fan absent arenas exclusively in major Canadian markets like Toronto,Ottawa,Vancouver, Montreal, Edmonton, Calgary and Halifax to name a few cities. The virus spread, testing capacity and lack of ventilators seems like it is going to be a recurring issue for the US during the pandemic even when current states with outbreaks peak and decline but a state like Nevada that hasn't been hit very hard yet will likely soon see a spike in cases which could screw the nba's plans to exclusively finish the regular season and conduct the playoffs in Las Vegas again.

Flattening the curve means you’re making it wider. One of the first places on the continent that can host a future event will likely be New York.
SkywalkerAC
RealGM
And1: 4,665

Post#13 » by SkywalkerAC » Sat Apr 4, 2020 8:20 pm

WC NBA Fan wrote:Everything that I've heard is that they were trying to do anything and everything possible to salvage a season so that all the games they played this season don't go wasted.

Let's say that they conclude that it's gonna take a year to safely return to normal, whatever normal turns out to be. Rejoin the season in 2021 right where it ended in 2020. March 11th or the 2nd Wednesday in March. Re-start the season with the exact same schedule that we were gonna play in 2020 only it's in 2021.

Opening night is the Pelicans and Sacramento as well as the Thunder and Jazz. Add whatever other games got cancelled, if there were any. For ceremonial purposes, you could even have the Thunder doctor run FROM the court to the locker room as a symbol of what the night stands for. Consider it the one and only time a team doctor gets a standing ovation.

No free agency between now and then. Exact same rosters. Everyone's contract moves back a year. For example, if your contract was up in 2022, it will now be up in 2023.

No draft either. If you have already applied for the draft, it gets voided. Those guys have the option of going back to college to study, do the TFerg/Lamelo thing and play in a foreign league if it's safe or just do the Mitchell Robinson thing and work out on their own for a year.

Until then, no money comes in and no money comes out. If players need assistance, billionaire owners can front as much as they need then deduct it for when games start up again.

Instead of the 2019-20 season, we call it the 2019/20/21 season. No games go to waste and we wait until it's safe to play in front of crowds of 18,000 again, assuming it's safe a year from now.

I'm not suggesting the entire business sector do this. We're gonna have to start up a lot earlier than that. Most businesses don't require 18,000 people to be in one place at once. Let small and big businesses alike get their feet back on the ground then take care of the non-essentials and big crowd businesses down the road.

Definitely not the worst idea.
Badbobby
Sophomore
And1: 187

Post#14 » by Badbobby » Sat Apr 4, 2020 9:36 pm

SkywalkerAC wrote:
WC NBA Fan wrote:Everything that I've heard is that they were trying to do anything and everything possible to salvage a season so that all the games they played this season don't go wasted.

I love this idea. Not so sure the draft concept is the best idea but I can’t think of a better one
hippesthippo
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,305

Post#15 » by hippesthippo » Sat Apr 4, 2020 10:53 pm

IWishIWasHarden wrote:Oh great.

Now my Rockets can get a center during the offseason and hopefully a new owner also.

Tilman had been trying to stay under the salary cap while the team had been trying to win a championship if you can imagine this.

And this is a man who is from Houston . . . willingly tried to hurt the Rockets to fill his own pockets and he is from Houston. Terribly conceited individual. He should never have purchased the team.

Aren't a majority of his assets in the hotel industry? Do you think it's possible he sells the team when this is all over?
objectivefan
Junior
And1: 66

Post#16 » by objectivefan » Sat Apr 4, 2020 10:53 pm

Dick Tate wrote:
Sam195 wrote:
Vegeta10176 wrote:

Flattening the curve means you’re making it wider. One of the first places on the continent that can host a future event will likely be New York.

you present an interesting way of looking at this

without a cure/vaccine on the horizon, one could argue that you are better off getting the virus, getting well and moving on instead of prolonging the inevitable. But hey everyone has an opinion and that is mine.
TheCage4
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 518

Post#17 » by TheCage4 » Sat Apr 4, 2020 11:21 pm

objectivefan wrote:
Dick Tate wrote:
Sam195 wrote:

you present an interesting way of looking at this

without a cure/vaccine on the horizon, one could argue that you are better off getting the virus, getting well and moving on instead of prolonging the inevitable. But hey everyone has an opinion and that is mine.

That’s a fair assessment. Try it. Hopefully your body is strong enough to beat it and, you know, not die. Oh, and lest not forget, once you have it you’re still not immune to catching it again.
“And where once you had the freedom to object, to think and speak as you saw fit, you now have censors and systems of surveillance coercing your conformity and soliciting your submission.” -Alan Moore
Batsy
Sophomore
And1: 30

Post#18 » by Batsy » Sun Apr 5, 2020 4:31 pm

Badbobby wrote:
SkywalkerAC wrote:

I love this idea. Not so sure the draft concept is the best idea but I can’t think of a better one

That's a ridiculous idea. No draft and extended contracts against the player's consent? They are better off starting a brand new season if this goes on past June or August.
SkywalkerAC
RealGM
And1: 4,665

Post#19 » by SkywalkerAC » Sun Apr 5, 2020 4:51 pm

Batsy wrote:
Badbobby wrote:
SkywalkerAC wrote:

That's a ridiculous idea. No draft and extended contracts against the player's consent? They are better off starting a brand new season if this goes on past June or August.

October/November could still be far too dangerous for crowds. Contracts are already being adjusted downwards based on the lost games/revenue, more complicated legally to extend them a year but...not the worst idea.
Pickled Prunes
General Manager
And1: 1,213

Post#20 » by Pickled Prunes » Sun Apr 5, 2020 6:41 pm

SkywalkerAC wrote:
Batsy wrote:
Badbobby wrote:

October/November could still be far too dangerous for crowds. Contracts are already being adjusted downwards based on the lost games/revenue, more complicated legally to extend them a year but...not the worst idea.

Good Idea, but you're asking the NBA (league, owners, players, etc.) to give up $8,000,000,000 in revenue. (That's 8 billion!) Even if it is the most practical solution, I don't expect the league to take the most expensive solution.

If they did want to play out the season after the all-clear, they could play a 58 game season next year and fulfill most of their national TV obligations.

Either way, I would still have a draft based on current records and let the rookies join the D-league team until after the playoffs. Some of those guys need income! I would also only extend the players that were on expiring contracts until the end of the season.

Return to Wiretap Discussion