NBA Players Will Receive Full Paycheck On April 15th

Moderators: Domejandro, bwgood77

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 291

NBA Players Will Receive Full Paycheck On April 15th 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Thu Apr 9, 2020 4:53 pm

The NBA and its 30 teams will send full paychecks to players on the next payment date of April 15th.

The NBA and NBPA have been negotiating withholding a percentage of salaries for players for upcoming paycheck dates. The league would keep a percentage of salaries based on canceled games.

The next payment due to players is on May 1st.

Via Shams Charania/The Athletic

Red8911
RealGM
And1: 4,193

Re: NBA Players Will Receive Full Paycheck On April 15th 

Post#2 » by Red8911 » Thu Apr 9, 2020 8:01 pm

Basically the whole world is losing money over this but the NBA players lol. There’s no reason for them to get paid until they start playing again, owners should not be scared of them.
Dr. Funk
Freshman
And1: 1

Post#3 » by Dr. Funk » Thu Apr 9, 2020 8:29 pm

My understanding is that most players have a schedule of payments and some players have only received 50% of salary but have played 85% of the season.

Players don't get paid for playoffs (other than team advancement bonuses).

I think the players should be paid up to the # of games their teams have played.
If your team has played 70 of 82 games, you should get 85% of your annual contract.
JustWin
Bench Warmer
And1: 1,927

Post#4 » by JustWin » Thu Apr 9, 2020 8:46 pm

Thank goodness, I can sleep again.
mjw9191
Sophomore
And1: 24

Post#5 » by mjw9191 » Thu Apr 9, 2020 8:51 pm

Dr. Funk wrote:My understanding is that most players have a schedule of payments and some players have only received 50% of salary but have played 85% of the season.

Players don't get paid for playoffs (other than team advancement bonuses).

I think the players should be paid up to the # of games their teams have played.
If your team has played 70 of 82 games, you should get 85% of your annual contract.

Whoa, it's almost like, you like, read that, like, very vague headlining article that was on this site a week or two ago about this very exact thing! These contracts are negotiated and written very deliberately for each and every player. If there are clauses concerning stipulating incidents (such as Covid), then those are abided by. Of course businesses can make exceptions for extenuating circumstances, but they are by no means obliged to. Whether or not I think it's morally right or wrong is besides the point. The language of each contract leveraged against the CBA is means for determining how to go about this. And on the whole, the ball is in each owner's court right now (pun totally intended).
Nikola
Pro Prospect
And1: 333

Post#6 » by Nikola » Thu Apr 9, 2020 10:48 pm

If the players were not fully paid I think that would be perfectly fair. It is part of the labor agreement. Not my money so it's hard to care much one way or another. But if they can afford to pay the players for not playing they can afford to refund my NBA league pass or give it to me free next season. Join me in my request...

https://help.nba.com/app/ContactUs/session/L3RpbWUvMTU4NjQ3MjQ1Mi9zaWQvZlUwTyU3RWRienFfRWh6VTNuJTdFakJwVUhrSlZRelhmRjVybU9CZWNXVkRaOVBvUzd4VGwyJTdFVDdMT2NFYUdHdjVsZ1dBRUNHdUo5QTZ6aHpPTDhPV18wV3BmOXh1VWlyWFVMXzVLV0U4VXB2Q1phS3Zjalpra00lN0U3akElMjElMjE%3D
Metallikid
RealGM
And1: 9,961

Post#7 » by Metallikid » Thu Apr 9, 2020 11:30 pm

That's the end of the season, boys.

No players are going to come back to play after they get their full salary and while everything gets worse and worse, which it will all the way through to July at the least.

There ain't no Dana White and 'Fight Island' coming to save the season.
kombayn
Assistant Coach
And1: 746

Post#8 » by kombayn » Fri Apr 10, 2020 12:09 am

I'm sorry but this is short sighted by all the posters here. I know we don't make millions but these players do have business expenses, employees to take care, family extended and all to take care of, property taxes to pay. The NBA is doing the right thing by paying their players, if not for the players they wouldn't have the huge TV contract they got from ESPN & Turner Sports. I hope a lot of the players continue to help and support the Arena workers and others who have been laid off or furloughed. Meanwhile you have the Los Angeles Rams being total incompetent douche bags and withholding two players of their money. Those two sacrificed their bodies and are being held their pay from participating last season, that's some shady stuff going on by the Rams. But look who their owner is, I'm an Arsenal fan so I'm not surprised at all.
SlimShady83
General Manager
And1: 1,093

Post#9 » by SlimShady83 » Fri Apr 10, 2020 1:47 am

why should we care about that? these guys make millions as it is ... share some of that too the unfortunate would be more ideal :)
I'M OFFICALLY ON HOLIDAYS! I JUST LOVE IT HOW PEOPLE GET BUTT HURT OVER SOMEONES OWN SIGNATURE LMAO!.

HAPPY HOLIDAYS ALL I'LL BE BACK! AND BACK WITH MORE BUTT HURT SIGNATURS LMAO
MitchB3
Starter
And1: 144

Post#10 » by MitchB3 » Fri Apr 10, 2020 5:21 am

SlimShady83 wrote:why should we care about that? these guys make millions as it is ... share some of that too the unfortunate would be more ideal :)

Some of the players already did that. These players have families as well. You do realize once you break down a player contract you realize they aren't truly making the value of the contract? After the Uncle Sam takes his cut, followed by the players' local and state tax AND taxes from other states, lastly their agent fees which is about 4%-10% depending on the agent, these players aren't making that much money.
MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 35,862

Post#11 » by MrDollarBills » Fri Apr 10, 2020 1:01 pm

MitchB3 wrote:e of the contract? After the Uncle Sam takes his cut, followed by the players' local and state tax AND taxes from other states, lastly their agent fees which is about 4%-10% depending on the agent, these players aren't making that much money.

:lol: !! Even after fees and taxes they are still making a boatload of money compared to 99% of working Americans, and this doesn't include endorsement money. Stop it
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
Dan33185
Senior
And1: 907

Post#12 » by Dan33185 » Fri Apr 10, 2020 1:41 pm

MitchB3 wrote:
SlimShady83 wrote:why should we care about that? these guys make millions as it is ... share some of that too the unfortunate would be more ideal :)

Some of the players already did that. These players have families as well. You do realize once you break down a player contract you realize they aren't truly making the value of the contract? After the Uncle Sam takes his cut, followed by the players' local and state tax AND taxes from other states, lastly their agent fees which is about 4%-10% depending on the agent, these players aren't making that much money.

:lol:
RealGM
And1: 66,425

Post#13 » by 720 » Fri Apr 10, 2020 5:51 pm

MitchB3 wrote:

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Beethoven
Head Coach
And1: 3,805

Post#14 » by Beethoven » Fri Apr 10, 2020 7:18 pm

Whew good news you wouldn't have wanted these guys line up at the unemployment office.
Kobe Bryant forever
GO LAKERS
8-)
goodboy
RealGM
And1: 185,289

Post#15 » by goodboy » Fri Apr 10, 2020 7:54 pm

Im very confused on these wiretaps.

Why do we have to keep track on their payments? :lol:

Good for em.

But practically useless information for us normal folk.
Bright
BKlutch
RealGM
And1: 13,190
Location: A new land of openness, freedom, and defense for all.

Post#16 » by BKlutch » Fri Apr 10, 2020 10:07 pm

People are starving.
People are dying - 100,000 worldwide.
People can't pay the rent.
People have lost jobs - 15 Million+ of them
People brave infected subways and buses.
People work as first responders with the sick.
People in essential jobs risk their lives.

So.... thank God the NBA millionaires won't lose a penny out of their freaking paychecks.

Oh, Gee, I see we're playing D. Powered by the after-Burner

Return to Wiretap Discussion