Chris Paul Holds Private Conference Call With NBA Superstars To Establish United Front

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 294

Chris Paul Holds Private Conference Call With NBA Superstars To Establish United Front 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Tue May 12, 2020 9:24 pm

Several of the NBA's biggest superstars conducted a private conference call on Monday to form a united front as the league discusses its potential return-to-play scenarios.

Chris Paul, the president of the players association, arranged the call that included LeBron James, Anthony Davis, Kevin Durant, Giannis Antetokounmpo, Kawhi Leonard, Stephen Curry, Damian Lillard and Russell Westbrook.

The decisions reached by this group of players will hold significant weight in the decision-making process for the rest of the league's players.

All parties on the call were in agreement to take the court with proper safety measures once the NBA is given the green light to begin play.

Via Chris Haynes/Yahoo! Sports

QWERTYUIOP1248
Ballboy
And1: 2

Re: Chris Paul Holds Private Conference Call With NBA Superstars To Establish United Front 

Post#2 » by QWERTYUIOP1248 » Tue May 12, 2020 10:06 pm

I find it very interesting how James Harden was not invited, could it be that they still have a beef?
ebrian
Junior
And1: 32

Re: Chris Paul Holds Private Conference Call With NBA Superstars To Establish United Front 

Post#3 » by ebrian » Tue May 12, 2020 10:32 pm

I found it interesting that Kevin Durant was included. Yes, he's an NBA Superstar, but he shouldn't have a say on a matter that doesn't affect him at all. The Nets have already said he won't return this season.
jlokine
Analyst
And1: 3,935

Post#4 » by jlokine » Tue May 12, 2020 11:39 pm

the guys with the biggest checks ensures they are on a united front.. why do i doubt they are looking after the guy making minimum or 2-way contracts. it would be more reassuring if joe-blow-12th man on the bench was in on the conference call too..
kenwood3333
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,218

Post#5 » by kenwood3333 » Tue May 12, 2020 11:46 pm

This is just his list of friends with power.
hype_2004
RealGM
And1: 4,673

Post#6 » by hype_2004 » Tue May 12, 2020 11:52 pm

Are the checks coming in? Or is it suspended pending the
Outcome of the season, That's what I would like to know.
Elnegron
Rookie
And1: 374

Post#7 » by Elnegron » Wed May 13, 2020 12:12 am

Lmao James harden?
popfan
Junior
And1: 224

Post#8 » by popfan » Wed May 13, 2020 12:21 am

Why would they consult KD? He's recovering from an injury and he's already survived COVID-19. Why would Curry want to resume the season? And it's conspicuous & suspicous that Luka Doncic's name wasn't included among the elite players.

The conclusion of the article that all players were in agreement to play is highly improbable. It's an outcome that's favorable to the interests of the owners. I question the validity of the story reported in this article. In fact I am reminded that various leaders in the NBA have publicly stated that the NBA would do whatever it could to reboot the season. Like planting questionable stories?
TheBallsDeeper
Starter
And1: 2,115

Post#9 » by TheBallsDeeper » Wed May 13, 2020 12:42 am

jlokine wrote:the guys with the biggest checks ensures they are on a united front.. why do i doubt they are looking after the guy making minimum or 2-way contracts. it would be more reassuring if joe-blow-12th man on the bench was in on the conference call too..

100% agree.
VintageVince
Rookie
And1: 926

Post#10 » by VintageVince » Wed May 13, 2020 1:07 am

jlokine wrote:the guys with the biggest checks ensures they are on a united front.. why do i doubt they are looking after the guy making minimum or 2-way contracts. it would be more reassuring if joe-blow-12th man on the bench was in on the conference call too..

well, they want the season resumed, so i guess it doesn't hurt the joe-blows at least
the13thjoker
Sophomore
And1: 30

Post#11 » by the13thjoker » Wed May 13, 2020 1:08 am

my first thought too lol.
jlokine
Analyst
And1: 3,935

Post#12 » by jlokine » Wed May 13, 2020 1:11 am

VintageVince wrote:

well, they want the season resumed, so i guess it doesn't hurt the joe-blows at least

i think it's a united front on how to deal with the loss of revenue.. ie the BRI.. i am not sure how they divide it among the players, but unless they are as woke as they claim to be, i doubt they give the largest chunks to the players that earn the least...and from what i've learned, ppl stop being woke when it starts impacting their own wallets..
Vegeta10176
Sixth Man
And1: 243

Post#13 » by Vegeta10176 » Wed May 13, 2020 1:24 am

:oops:
TheBallsDeeper wrote:

100% agree.

They are talking about resuming the season.. Joe Blow 12th man can sit out the season and they can still start it he is irrelevant and still gets 1.6mill.. Come on no NBA player is starving get the f out of here. I would be more concerned about workers on the front line right now getting no hazard pay and insuffienct ppe while Amazon makes billions..
ProcessDoctor
RealGM
And1: 5,263

Post#14 » by ProcessDoctor » Wed May 13, 2020 1:46 am

That list includes mostly consists of guys with a shot at a title this year. Of course they’re going to say they want to resume.
2023-2024 Philadelphia 76ers:

Lowry/Payne/Downtin
Maxey/Melton/Hield
Oubre/Batum/Council
Harris/Covington/Martin
Embiid/Reed/Bamba
Raps in 4
RealGM
And1: 54,805

Post#15 » by Raps in 4 » Wed May 13, 2020 2:28 am

Elnegron wrote:Lmao James harden?

CP3 petty as ****.
Tofubeque
RealGM
And1: 14,199

Post#16 » by Tofubeque » Wed May 13, 2020 3:54 am

Chris Paul Holds Private Conference Call With NBA Superstars, Also Russell Westbrook
props Turbozone
tien90802
Ballboy
And1: 3

Post#17 » by tien90802 » Wed May 13, 2020 1:08 pm

ProcessDoctor wrote:That list includes mostly consists of guys with a shot at a title this year. Of course they’re going to say they want to resume.

What’s your definition of “mostly”?

LeBron James
Anthony Davis
Giannis Antetokounmpo
Kawhi Leonard

Kevin Durant
Stephen Curry
Damian Lillard
Russell Westbrook
CP3
Cassius
RealGM
And1: 3,975

Post#18 » by Cassius » Wed May 13, 2020 2:38 pm

Elnegron wrote:Lmao James harden?

I assume he was at the strip club and they eventually kicked him off the Zoom when he wouldn't turn off the video.
I_Like_Dirt wrote:The whole comparison to Kevin McHale is ridiculously close, imo... And that's without more hilarious aspects of the comparison, e.g. if Wally Sczerbiak were 7 feet tall with the slower reflexes that came with the additional height, he'd be Bargnani.
HotelVitale
RealGM
And1: 9,929

Post#19 » by HotelVitale » Wed May 13, 2020 8:44 pm

the13thjoker wrote:
my first thought too lol.

Don't think this meeting is about coming to consensus, it's just about planning how to speak/present publicly. There might be a few guys who are making only two-way money who would rather just chill at home rather than quarantining for a few months next to an arena, but I bet those guys are some of the most eager to get back out and prove themselves--and make sure there's enoguh money around next year for them to get paid. (Also, the guys who have 'only' made 500k or a couple million need that money coming in more than the superstars who are flush.)

As long as the quarantine plan is reasonable then the players can't really take a stance against playing. Nobody wins in that scenario, and the NBA (unlike most businesses) has both enough money and oversight that it can do a complete lockdown, with testing and monitoring, to keep a safe work environment. These guys have dedicated their lives to competition, and that combined with millions and millions at stake is going to keep them on the side of resuming the season. Seems like CP3 is just trying to get them saying the same messaging as they advocate for that.
bjamm
Ballboy
And1: 4

Post#20 » by bjamm » Thu May 14, 2020 2:50 am

Why was KD on the call? Hes already announced he will not play at all this season so his vote shouldn't matter.

Return to Wiretap Discussion