Re: D'Angelo Russell: Minnesota Is Where I'm Supposed To Be

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

D'Angelo Russell: Minnesota Is Where I'm Supposed To Be 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Thu May 14, 2020 4:50 pm

D'Angelo Russell has not lived in the same city for more than two years since he was a freshman in high school. Russell left Louisville before his sophomore season of high school and has since lived in Montverde, Fla., Columbus, Los Angeles, Brooklyn, San Francisco and now Minneapolis. 

The Timberwolves had dozens of employees waiting for Russell when he arrived to welcome him at the airport.

“From what I’ve been through previous years to where I come from in childhood, people don’t show their love and support for you like this, at this magnitude (when you first arrive),” Russell told The Athletic. “People don’t do that. For the organization to put something like that together, for me to feel that love and support right away, I was just like, ‘This has to be documented.’ That was the first thing I thought of.”

The Wolves paid a big price to acquire Russell from the Warriors and they believe he can be their co-star to Karl-Anthony Towns.

“I’m like, OK,” he said, “this is where I’m supposed to be.”

“His whole career, you look at it and it feels like he wasn’t wanted, whether he put himself in that position or whatever the situation was,” Towns said in March. “It just never felt like he was wanted, and he could feel it.”

Via Jon Krawczynski/The Athletic

MitchB3
Starter
And1: 144

Post#2 » by MitchB3 » Fri May 15, 2020 1:30 am

Do these players have the same PR person or are they that dumb (at times)? They say "I love it here" "This is where I belong" "I'm not going anywhere" etc. Then when it comes time to re-sign, they decide to up and leave. Don't do that. Don't give a team fan base when they've all witnessed players leave their "home" team.
Vegeta10176
Sixth Man
And1: 243

Post#3 » by Vegeta10176 » Fri May 15, 2020 12:20 pm

MitchB3 wrote:Do these players have the same PR person or are they that dumb (at times)? They say "I love it here" "This is where I belong" "I'm not going anywhere" etc. Then when it comes time to re-sign, they decide to up and leave. Don't do that. Don't give a team fan base when they've all witnessed players leave their "home" team.

He is on a fresh contract it's all good he is not going anywhere for a while.
shrink
RealGM
And1: 14,642

Post#4 » by shrink » Fri May 15, 2020 2:29 pm

In other words:

“Once my three previous teams saw my defense, I wore out my welcome.”
cupcakesnake wrote:I know a lot of people haven't seen him play, but no one is forcing you to make up an opinion and post it.
Rollie
Junior
And1: 34

Post#5 » by Rollie » Fri May 15, 2020 2:34 pm

MitchB3 wrote:Do these players have the same PR person or are they that dumb (at times)? They say "I love it here" "This is where I belong" "I'm not going anywhere" etc. Then when it comes time to re-sign, they decide to up and leave. Don't do that. Don't give a team fan base when they've all witnessed players leave their "home" team.

Because if he says, "This place sucks. I'm outta here when my contract is up." it wouldn't endear him to too many T-Wolves fans.
MitchB3
Starter
And1: 144

Post#6 » by MitchB3 » Sat May 16, 2020 6:56 pm

Vegeta10176 wrote:

He is on a fresh contract it's all good he is not going anywhere for a while.

Fresh off a contract doesn't mean deliver the kiss of death. If anything he shouldn't have said anything.

Return to Wiretap Discussion