National Basketball Players Association Suspends Search For Michele Roberts Successor

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

National Basketball Players Association Suspends Search For Michele Roberts Successor 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Sat May 16, 2020 6:32 pm

The National Basketball Players Association has temporarily suspended its search for a successor for Michele Roberts due to the uncertainty of the current situation, league sources told Chris Haynes of Yahoo! Sports.

Roberts currently has two years remaining as NBPA executive director.

She has the "unwavering support" of players, sources added.

The union had been interviewing new candidates over recent weeks, including Pistons assistant GM Pat Garrity.

The union will focus on the current state of the league after pausing their search.

There is no timetable for hiring Roberts' successor.

Via Chris Haynes/Yahoo! Sports

MitchB3
Starter
And1: 144

Re: National Basketball Players Association Suspends Search For Michele Roberts Successor 

Post#2 » by MitchB3 » Sat May 16, 2020 6:57 pm

Did I miss the memo? Did Michele Roberts say that she's only here for a short time?
CanesHeatFins
Senior
And1: 650

Re: National Basketball Players Association Suspends Search For Michele Roberts Successor 

Post#3 » by CanesHeatFins » Sun May 17, 2020 11:17 am

I'm assuming Michele Roberts is just ready to move on or retire, but I don't know either, none of these Michele Roberts articles ever mention why she is being replaced.

If the players are about to hire a former player to do Roberts's job, they're probably about to screw up this next hire.

It's almost never a good idea to let someone hire their successor, but in this case the players should let Roberts find them some candidates.
NatiboyB
Rookie
And1: 389

Post#4 » by NatiboyB » Sun May 17, 2020 4:51 pm

Personally I wouldn’t let her go anywhere until we reached an agreement if they trust her. Not sure why they are even looking honestly unless she wants out.

You definitely want her around for the next CBA.
Dan33185
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,000

Post#5 » by Dan33185 » Mon May 18, 2020 12:35 am

MitchB3 wrote:Did I miss the memo? Did Michele Roberts say that she's only here for a short time?

"“For the past six years, I have greatly enjoyed and continue to enjoy leading the NBPA and am proud of all we have been able to accomplish. When I agreed to a second contract as Executive Director, I made clear that I would not be seeking a third. The Executive Committee and I are committed to making certain my successor is thoroughly prepared to assume the position upon my departure from the NBPA and continue its sustained path for growth,” Ms. Roberts said. "

https://www.nba.com/article/2020/03/06/nbpa-successor-michele-roberts
MitchB3
Starter
And1: 144

Post#6 » by MitchB3 » Mon May 18, 2020 6:24 am

Dan33185 wrote:
MitchB3 wrote:Did I miss the memo? Did Michele Roberts say that she's only here for a short time?

"“For the past six years, I have greatly enjoyed and continue to enjoy leading the NBPA and am proud of all we have been able to accomplish. When I agreed to a second contract as Executive Director, I made clear that I would not be seeking a third. The Executive Committee and I are committed to making certain my successor is thoroughly prepared to assume the position upon my departure from the NBPA and continue its sustained path for growth,” Ms. Roberts said. "

https://www.nba.com/article/2020/03/06/nbpa-successor-michele-roberts

Oh alright, thank you for telling me and showing me.

Return to Wiretap Discussion