Orlando Emerges As Clear Frontrunner For NBA's Return-To-Play Site

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 292

Orlando Emerges As Clear Frontrunner For NBA's Return-To-Play Site 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Wed May 20, 2020 4:51 pm

The NBA has identified Disney World in Orlando as a clear frontrunner for its return-to-play site for resuming the 19-20 season, sources tell The Athletic.

Orlando and Las Vegas have been frequently cited as the two most likely locations.

"All the momentum is heading their way," wrote Sam Amick.

Via Shams Charania, Sam Amick/The Athletic

J-Mezzy
RealGM
And1: 3,214

Re: Orlando Emerges As Clear Frontrunner For NBA's Return-To-Play Site 

Post#2 » by J-Mezzy » Wed May 20, 2020 5:34 pm

Been saying it all along. Vegas made little sense when Disney is private property, has a sports complex, a transportation system, plenty of hotels and resorts, food, and ESPN. It's a no brainer
Thank you triplemke23 for the sig.
Chi Dynasty12
Analyst
And1: 140

Post#3 » by Chi Dynasty12 » Wed May 20, 2020 5:36 pm

Putting people into a "bubble" during a pandemic is a good way to ensure an outbreak.
Chicago Bears 2025 Super Bowl Champions
12footrim
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,316

Post#4 » by 12footrim » Wed May 20, 2020 6:16 pm

J-Mezzy wrote:Been saying it all along. Vegas made little sense when Disney is private property, has a sports complex, a transportation system, plenty of hotels and resorts, food, and ESPN. It's a no brainer

You left out the most obvious aspect. It's boring and family oriented especially compared to Vegas. You stay in Vegas and you will have 20 and 30 something year old guys trying to sneak out to gamble or find chicks which is the last thing the NBA needs if they want to make this work.
Where I write

The Hoops Resource
12footrim
Lead Assistant

Post#5 » by 12footrim » Wed May 20, 2020 6:19 pm

Chi Dynasty12 wrote:Putting people into a "bubble" during a pandemic is a good way to ensure an outbreak.

Opposed to no restrictions and just letting people including those friends and family around them come and go as they please. Give me a break that's how you ensure there is absolutely an outbreak. A "bubble" still might not work but at least it has some chance to. There is no chance without some regulation and actual follow through from these guys.
Where I write

The Hoops Resource
gidget24
Sophomore
And1: 70

Post#6 » by gidget24 » Wed May 20, 2020 7:06 pm

In this case a bubble works as people will be tested before entering. If no one inside has the virus and you are controlling everything that comes in then there is nothing to worry about.

It doesn't work on cruise ships or social distancing when people are already infected and not following proper recommendations.
12footrim
Lead Assistant

Post#7 » by 12footrim » Wed May 20, 2020 7:35 pm

gidget24 wrote:In this case a bubble works as people will be tested before entering. If no one inside has the virus and you are controlling everything that comes in then there is nothing to worry about.

It doesn't work on cruise ships or social distancing when people are already infected and not following proper recommendations.

A cruise ship......That's actually a good idea and no one else are using them now that I bet a cruise company would love to have them and the players and their family and friends might actually enjoy it more than a hotel in Orlando.

Rigorously test everyone before they leave and then shove off an you don't have to worry about it again. That is how it actually would work unless there was some inaccuracy in the test. If someone gets hurt helicopter them off if it's that bad. You could probably fit it with a Mobil MRI machine or other things you might need.
Where I write

The Hoops Resource
alphatron10
Senior
And1: 366

Post#8 » by alphatron10 » Wed May 20, 2020 7:57 pm

12footrim wrote:
gidget24 wrote:In this case a bubble works as people will be tested before entering. If no one inside has the virus and you are controlling everything that comes in then there is nothing to worry about.

A cruise ship......That's actually a good idea and no one else are using them now that I bet a cruise company would love to have them and the players and their family and friends might actually enjoy it more than a hotel in Orlando.

Rigorously test everyone before they leave and then shove off an you don't have to worry about it again. That is how it actually would work unless there was some inaccuracy in the test. If someone gets hurt helicopter them off if it's that bad. You could probably fit it with a Mobil MRI machine or other things you might need.

I've been on Disney cruises, and they are massive. I'm just not sure how they would be able to fit the courts on them though
Audi
Analyst
And1: 2,768

Post#9 » by Audi » Thu May 21, 2020 11:04 am

alphatron10 wrote:
12footrim wrote:

I've been on Disney cruises, and they are massive. I'm just not sure how they would be able to fit the courts on them though

Despite how it may sometimes feel otherwise on board, cruise ships are still moving vessels. With the risk of injury already present on courts built on solid ground, it’s hard to believe the league would take the risk. So while a cruise line performer can do the can-can and little Johnny can shoot hoops with Goofy with relative safety, elite athletes worth upwards to hundreds of millions...I just don’t see it happening.
Abra Cadabra, Razzmatazz, Slam-Dunk Sesame, Hocus Pocus, Alacazam, Gonna set the spirit free
Keeping The Original Orlando Magic Theme Song Alive
Orange Ave.
Sixth Man
And1: 280

Post#10 » by Orange Ave. » Thu May 21, 2020 3:25 pm

12footrim wrote:
You left out the most obvious aspect. It's boring and family oriented especially compared to Vegas. You stay in Vegas and you will have 20 and 30 something year old guys trying to sneak out to gamble or find chicks which is the last thing the NBA needs if they want to make this work.

If by boring you mean Orlando does not have legalized prostitution and gambling, then guilty as charged.

Otherwise, "boring" and "Orlando" aren't in the same universe.

Nevertheless, your point stands, Las Vegas offers temptations that young, wealthy athletes might fall victim too.
cigamodnalro: "Orange Ave...One of my favorite guys here."

zuppafly: "Orange Ave was not a bandwagoner. He is a long time magic fan."
12footrim
Lead Assistant

Post#11 » by 12footrim » Thu May 21, 2020 3:42 pm

Orange Ave. wrote:
12footrim wrote:

If by boring you mean Orlando does not have legalized prostitution and gambling, then guilty as charged.

Nevertheless, your point stands, Las Vegas offers temptations that young, wealthy athletes might fall victim too.

That was the point. Lopez brothers aside I don't think most 20 something year old NBA players are hanging out at disney. Could they still find chicks and trouble in Orlando, sure you can find that anywhere but Vegas is a different animal all together.
Where I write

The Hoops Resource
saltybs
Sophomore
And1: 55

Post#12 » by saltybs » Thu May 21, 2020 7:08 pm

12footrim wrote:
Orange Ave. wrote:
12footrim wrote:

That was the point. Lopez brothers aside I don't think most 20 something year old NBA players are hanging out at disney. Could they still find chicks and trouble in Orlando, sure you can find that anywhere but Vegas is a different animal all together.

Come on guys, let's be clear: Orlando is by all accounts a boring place.
J-Mezzy
RealGM
And1: 3,214

Post#13 » by J-Mezzy » Thu May 21, 2020 8:08 pm

saltybs wrote:
12footrim wrote:
Orange Ave. wrote:

Come on guys, let's be clear: Orlando is by all accounts a boring place.

As opposed to what?

Orlando is a city like many others. It has restaurants, shopping, clubs, bars, nightlife entertainment , alcohol, drugs, strip clubs, hookers, etc.

Now if the standard is Vegas, South Beach, and New Orleans; then sure, Orlando is a "boring" city.

But Orlando has plenty to do. Both pg13 and for adults.
Thank you triplemke23 for the sig.
alphatron10
Senior
And1: 366

Post#14 » by alphatron10 » Tue May 26, 2020 11:48 pm

Audi wrote:
alphatron10 wrote:
12footrim wrote:

Despite how it may sometimes feel otherwise on board, cruise ships are still moving vessels. With the risk of injury already present on courts built on solid ground, it’s hard to believe the league would take the risk. So while a cruise line performer can do the can-can and little Johnny can shoot hoops with Goofy with relative safety, elite athletes worth upwards to hundreds of millions...I just don’t see it happening.

I feel bad bc I forgot to mention that the cruise ships only have ONE court already built, but the thing is small af and probably couldnt play a game of pickup on it

Return to Wiretap Discussion