Jerami Grant Expects To Decline $9.3M Player Option For 20-21 With Nuggets

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 292

Jerami Grant Expects To Decline $9.3M Player Option For 20-21 With Nuggets 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Mon Jun 1, 2020 4:20 pm

Jerami Grant has a $9.3 million player option for the 20-21 season with the Denver Nuggets that he revealed he expects to decline to become a free agent.

Grant was asked how the suspension of the NBA season due to COVID-19 might impact his free agency decision.

“A hundred percent, a hundred percent, I’m not going to sit up here and lie," said Grant. "Being a potential free agent, I gotta play offense. So being a potential free agent this upcoming summer… me playing to the level I’ve been playing has surprised a lot of people… I definitely think about trying to figure out what I’m going to do next season, whether it’s come back or not.

It’s tough though… It’s tough with all this going on. It’s hard to even gauge what’s going on. The salary cap might drop… It might drop a lot, it might drop a little bit. So I think everything just kind of hangs in the balance of what the owners want to do, what the NBA’s doing, with the rest of the season.”

Grant signed a three-year, $27.3 million contract with the Oklahoma City Thunder in 2018.

“I’m definitely not leaning towards picking up the player option," said Grant to Chris Haynes. "Like you said, I feel like I definitely outplayed the $9 million that I’m making each year right now. But at the same time… I’d love to come to a conclusion or something like that with Denver, it just depends what we discuss and negotiate when the time comes.”

Via Chris Haynes/Yahoo! Sports (via Quenton S. Albertie/NuggLove)

Lockdown504090
RealGM
And1: 12,077

Re: Jerami Grant Expects To Decline $9.3M Player Option For 20-21 With Nuggets 

Post#2 » by Lockdown504090 » Mon Jun 1, 2020 8:56 pm

Is the Salary cap going to take a hit next year or are they going to make an exception because giannis is a FA and make it this year the cap is destroyed?
spree2kawhi
RealGM
And1: 3,820

Post#3 » by spree2kawhi » Mon Jun 1, 2020 8:58 pm

He's the one for the Knicks. :nod:
PhilippineBulls
Junior
And1: 448

Post#4 » by PhilippineBulls » Tue Jun 2, 2020 10:31 am

Watch him get 7m a year
AirCanadaMouse
Starter
And1: 1,857

Post#5 » by AirCanadaMouse » Wed Jun 3, 2020 1:28 am

PhilippineBulls wrote:Watch him get 7m a year

It’s tough because while I respect his game and how much he’s improved, mainly with his jumper, it’s hard to see a team giving him a long term deal at 10M or more.. especially with financial repercussions coming off the pandemic and lower salary cap
Thank you Clutch0z24
TheCage4
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 518

Post#6 » by TheCage4 » Wed Jun 3, 2020 2:47 am

The cap situation is one guys like Grant are going to have to monitor. Leaving $9 million on the table to any of us is crazy, but there most likely is a team out there that will throw some money around in the end.
“And where once you had the freedom to object, to think and speak as you saw fit, you now have censors and systems of surveillance coercing your conformity and soliciting your submission.” -Alan Moore

Return to Wiretap Discussion