Erik Spoelstra: NBA Will 'Use Our Platform' To Continue Conversations Over Social Change

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

Erik Spoelstra: NBA Will 'Use Our Platform' To Continue Conversations Over Social Change 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Sun Jun 7, 2020 3:08 am

Erik Spoelstra and Steve Clifford said that the NBA's return will help to continue conversations surrounding social injustices and protests following the death of George Floyd.

"I don't think anybody is really ready to move on. And we shouldn't. If anything, many times before, so tragically, there would be a similar incident of social injustice like this, and then two weeks later people forget about it. This will be an opportunity for the entire association to land in one spot ... to keep this conversation going and use our platform to make sure that this doesn't go away," said Spoelstra.

Clifford added that players and coaches will continue to use their platform to speak out once the season resumes. 

"I think everybody's priority right now and hope is that we can all be part of the change that's so necessary in our country. We'll have a collective platform where everyone can collectively send a message condemning racism, racial injustice, calling for police accountability. There will be a platform, and I think we're all thinking that way," said Clifford.

The National Basketball Coaches Association said it intends to work with "local leaders, officials and law enforcement agencies" to help influence change. 

Via ESPN

Elnegron
Rookie
And1: 366

Re: Erik Spoelstra: NBA Will 'Use Our Platform' To Continue Conversations Over Social Change 

Post#2 » by Elnegron » Sun Jun 7, 2020 12:38 pm

Coach spo is spot on without having to make it politic. Take note popovich
TheCage4
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 518

Re: Erik Spoelstra: NBA Will 'Use Our Platform' To Continue Conversations Over Social Change 

Post#3 » by TheCage4 » Sun Jun 7, 2020 3:03 pm

Spo has it right when he says people forget. The longer I live, the more I see, the same story plays out and ends. This is not an issue to be ignored or forgotten, but over time, as history has shown, it will be unfortunately.

The more things change, the more they stay the same.
“And where once you had the freedom to object, to think and speak as you saw fit, you now have censors and systems of surveillance coercing your conformity and soliciting your submission.” -Alan Moore

Return to Wiretap Discussion