George Hill Says There's 'Bigger Things To Tackle In Life Right Now Than' Basketball

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro, BombsquadSammy

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 192

George Hill Says There's 'Bigger Things To Tackle In Life Right Now Than' Basketball 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Sat Jun 13, 2020 4:12 pm

George Hill said that basketball was the furthest thing from his mind amid the civil unrest and protest throughout the nation.

"I've been working every day since this all started with my body, my game and things like that, but as a whole, I can care less about basketball right now. ... that's my last thought on my mind is basketball. I can care less what's going on. I think there's bigger issues and bigger things to tackle in life right now than a basketball game," said Hill.

Hill was speaking on a local panel in Indiana entitled "The State of Black America: A Discussion with Representatives from Sports & Entertainment."

Hill added that while he's in good physical shape, he didn't know how he would be affected mentally by the current events.

"I don't know how it's going to affect me on the basketball court. I know that I, physically, have been working my ass off this entire time I've been off. I haven't taken one day off since this whole hiatus has came into effect. ... I'm in great physical shape, but mentally, I've still got a little more work to do.

"I'm paid millions of dollars to go out there and perform at a high level so part of it's like, 'Man, you've got to suck it up and go out there and do what you're paid to do,' but the other part of it is like, 'Listen man this basketball s---, I love it, it's part of what makes me me, but it's not all of what makes me me, either,' and I have a responsibility as a young black professional athlete to advocate for this change."

Via Eric Woodyard/ESPN

d-train
RealGM
And1: 857

Re: George Hill Says There's 'Bigger Things To Tackle In Life Right Now Than' Basketball 

Post#3 » by d-train » Sun Jun 14, 2020 5:32 pm

People can say or listen to what they want in our free country. At least, this is the way it's supposed to work.

The NBA is a basketball league. NBA organizers and players organize and play basketball. The result is the product the NBA sells and and fans buy. The rest is background noise. Players that focus on the noise instead of playing basketball are not contributing to their value as a player. Players are free to not prioritize basketball, but the consequence is they will cease to be NBA basketball players.
Kevin Willis
General Manager
And1: 5,834

Re: George Hill Says There's 'Bigger Things To Tackle In Life Right Now Than' Basketball 

Post#4 » by Kevin Willis » Sun Jun 14, 2020 8:09 pm

d-train wrote:People can say or listen to what they want in our free country. At least, this is the way it's supposed to work.

The NBA is a basketball league. NBA organizers and players organize and play basketball. The result is the product the NBA sells and and fans buy. The rest is background noise. Players that focus on the noise instead of playing basketball are not contributing to their value as a player. Players are free to not prioritize basketball, but the consequence is they will cease to be NBA basketball players.

Yes pretty much. Nobody is disagreeing with is said but you can apply that thinking to anyone. If you have a job as a garbage collector you can say, 'This is bigger than that'. If you're a teacher you can say, 'This is bigger than that.' If you're a singer, artist, dentist, personal trainer, accountant you can say, 'This is bigger than that.'

But for society to function we need people to be at these jobs. And considering NBA is a multi-billion dollar industry, the best players not playing can have a disastrous impact on the people they trying to support. There are better ways to get a result than rich basketball players boycotting.
Perhaps he is hated because he is a narcissist, pathological liar, incapable of decent human emotions, incapable of running an organization such as a government. He incites racial hatred, doesn't know how to handle a crisis - I'll stop there.
d-train
RealGM
And1: 857

Post#5 » by d-train » Sun Jun 14, 2020 9:25 pm

Kevin Willis wrote:There are better ways to get a result than rich basketball players boycotting.

Yes, and it would be a really lame boycott. Usually, when you boycott the objective is to deny someone else profit as a cudgel to whip them into submission. Kind of stupid to have a boycott that denies yourself profit. And, who is the target that is being whipped into submission?

Return to Wiretap Discussion