Donovan Mitchell, Rudy Gobert Sharing Ball Has Been Primary Reason For Strain

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 292

Donovan Mitchell, Rudy Gobert Sharing Ball Has Been Primary Reason For Strain 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Tue Jul 7, 2020 3:01 pm

Donovan Mitchell and Rudy Gobert went weeks without any communication after both tested positive for COVID-19 in March.

Gobert called Mitchell on March 12th, then texted and later directed-messaged him on Instagram, but never received a response.

Gobert and Mitchell had friction before their positive tests. 

One high-ranking Jazz source categorized the pre-pandemic issues between Gobert and Mitchell as "a 2 out of 10 on the NBA drama scale."

"You know, I tried to put myself in his shoes," Gobert told ESPN's Tim MacMahon. "There was a lot of fear, and I think more than anything, he reacted out of fear. That's why I don't really blame him. We all have different character; we all react differently. When it's something like that, when he tested [positive] for a virus that we don't know a lot about, it's scary. It was scary for me, and I'm sure it was scary for him.

"The most important thing is what you do from there."

One month into the NBA's hiatus, Gobert and Mitchell talked.

"We told each other what we had to say to each other," Gobert said. "We are both on the same page. We both want to win. We both think that we have a great opportunity, and we know that we need each other. We talked about a lot of things, but the main thing was that we are on the same page and the fact that our team needs us. We can win together. That's the most important thing."

"Right now, we're good," Mitchell said in a virtual news conference with reporters. (He declined requests to comment for this story through his agent.) "We're going out there ready to hoop."

According to several Jazz sources, the fact that Mitchell as the ball in his hands the most has been the primary irritant in what is an overall successful partnership between he and Gobert.

"If you take a paper towel and just drip water on it, the paper towel is going to get moist and then it's going to get damp and eventually it's going to break," a Jazz source said. "Rudy has to pick his spots, and Donovan can't react to everything. Sometimes you have to play chess and appease your teammates.

"It's not about being right all the time. Sometimes it's like, 'It happened and let's move on.' Is it about you trying to prove your point to one another or us trying to win?"

"I understand that I'm annoying. I can be very annoying," said Gobert, adding that he knows Mitchell's job is difficult as the focal point of defenses. "I think maybe because he was really good really early, I've been very demanding and maybe in not always a positive way. Sometimes you don't realize it.

"Like with me, people can be hard on me and I can handle it, but for some guys, it can become very frustrating. I can understand that 100 percent. Donovan has gotten better every year since he's gotten here. I think he's going to keep getting a lot better. It's pretty much, I'm the a--hole."

Via Tim MacMahon/ESPN

RipCityKJ
Senior
And1: 205

Re: Donovan Mitchell, Rudy Gobert Sharing Ball Has Been Primary Reason For Strain 

Post#2 » by RipCityKJ » Tue Jul 7, 2020 4:47 pm

This reminds me of Dame and LaMarcus, had LA just let his ego go they could have built something special but even after Dame said he’d gladly take a back seat to LA and that the team would always be LAs, he couldn’t handle sharing the spotlight. Good for Rudy to accept responsibility for his part in the tension.
rajajackal
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,336

Re: Donovan Mitchell, Rudy Gobert Sharing Ball Has Been Primary Reason For Strain 

Post#3 » by rajajackal » Tue Jul 7, 2020 5:32 pm

RipCityKJ wrote:This reminds me of Dame and LaMarcus, had LA just let his ego go they could have built something special but even after Dame said he’d gladly take a back seat to LA and that the team would always be LAs, he couldn’t handle sharing the spotlight. Good for Rudy to accept responsibility for his part in the tension.

idk all of his phrasing is talking **** out the side of his mouth. basically saying 'i realize now that Donovan is a pu$sy, and cannot be handled the way i have always been handled'
rockmanslim
General Manager
And1: 5,271

Post#4 » by rockmanslim » Tue Jul 7, 2020 5:39 pm

rajajackal wrote:
RipCityKJ wrote:This reminds me of Dame and LaMarcus, had LA just let his ego go they could have built something special but even after Dame said he’d gladly take a back seat to LA and that the team would always be LAs, he couldn’t handle sharing the spotlight. Good for Rudy to accept responsibility for his part in the tension.

idk all of his phrasing is talking **** out the side of his mouth. basically saying 'i realize now that Donovan is a pu$sy, and cannot be handled the way i have always been handled'

Agreed. Rudy is taking thinly veiled shots at Donovan in this sentence:

"Like with me, people can be hard on me and I can handle it, but for some guys, it can become very frustrating. I can understand that 100 percent."
click

"Harden's a guy that averages 26 in the NBA, but if he was on the playground with you he'd only average about 5 because they wouldn't let him get those free throws." --Scott Hastings, April 6, 2013

Chris3323
Pro Prospect
And1: 49

Post#5 » by Chris3323 » Tue Jul 7, 2020 6:22 pm

not sure why I am reading about comparisons from LA to Gobert. totally different players.

Aldridge was a great scoring PF, Gobert is a great defensive Center who can score around the basket.

Donovan needs to lead the Jazz offensivly, not Gobert.
Cassius
RealGM
And1: 3,963

Post#6 » by Cassius » Tue Jul 7, 2020 6:35 pm

Chris3323 wrote:not sure why I am reading about comparisons from LA to Gobert. totally different players.

Aldridge was a great scoring PF, Gobert is a great defensive Center who can score around the basket.

I think the issue here is that Gobert has a specific role in the offense as the roll man and if he's not being used, he's a detriment to the team on that side of the floor. If teams aren't afraid of that dump off or lob, all the shooters are going to get clamped. In Mitchell's defense, the Jazz went from Rubio to a seemingly washed Conley as the primary distributor... so Donovan's passing responsibilities have skyrocketed.
I_Like_Dirt wrote:The whole comparison to Kevin McHale is ridiculously close, imo... And that's without more hilarious aspects of the comparison, e.g. if Wally Sczerbiak were 7 feet tall with the slower reflexes that came with the additional height, he'd be Bargnani.
TheCage4
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 518

Post#7 » by TheCage4 » Tue Jul 7, 2020 7:58 pm

These are two very good players, not great players, which makes this drama near irrelevant. Even with the COVID factor, it’s a weak story. Move on.
“And where once you had the freedom to object, to think and speak as you saw fit, you now have censors and systems of surveillance coercing your conformity and soliciting your submission.” -Alan Moore
Vegeta10176
Sixth Man
And1: 243

Post#8 » by Vegeta10176 » Wed Jul 8, 2020 12:01 am

rockmanslim wrote:
rajajackal wrote:

"Like with me, people can be hard on me and I can handle it, but for some guys, it can become very frustrating. I can understand that 100 percent."

That's true people handle these things differentely
dautjazz
RealGM
And1: 9,560

Post#9 » by dautjazz » Wed Jul 8, 2020 12:57 am

Cassius wrote:
Chris3323 wrote:not sure why I am reading about comparisons from LA to Gobert. totally different players.

I think the issue here is that Gobert has a specific role in the offense as the roll man and if he's not being used, he's a detriment to the team on that side of the floor. If teams aren't afraid of that dump off or lob, all the shooters are going to get clamped. In Mitchell's defense, the Jazz went from Rubio to a seemingly washed Conley as the primary distributor... so Donovan's passing responsibilities have skyrocketed.

If we had a Chris Paul or another elite PG, I think Gobert would be over 20ppg, Conley has just been hot garbage, and Mitchell/Ingles for as good as they are, aren't at the level as playmakers. Gobert is certainly underutilized in terms of scoring.
NickAnderson wrote:
How old are you, just curious.

by gomeziee on 21 Jul 2013 00:53

im 20, and i did grow up watching MJ play in the 90's.
Cassius
RealGM

Post#10 » by Cassius » Wed Jul 8, 2020 2:14 am

dautjazz wrote:
Cassius wrote:

If we had a Chris Paul or another elite PG, I think Gobert would be over 20ppg, Conley has just been hot garbage, and Mitchell/Ingles for as good as they are, aren't at the level as playmakers. Gobert is certainly underutilized in terms of scoring.

Man, that trade for Conley was shockingly awful. They probably could have pulled CP for what they gave up, had the timing been right. Even a guy like Goran Dragic would have fit in well.
I_Like_Dirt wrote:The whole comparison to Kevin McHale is ridiculously close, imo... And that's without more hilarious aspects of the comparison, e.g. if Wally Sczerbiak were 7 feet tall with the slower reflexes that came with the additional height, he'd be Bargnani.
Roddy B for 3
Analyst
And1: 1,039

Post#11 » by Roddy B for 3 » Wed Jul 8, 2020 8:29 am

Gobert with the Mamba mentality AND the Mamba straight forwardness.
7/1/2019
(I broke a mirror on 7-1-2012)
BigHustle
Pro Prospect
And1: 156

Post#12 » by BigHustle » Wed Jul 8, 2020 1:00 pm

Donovan, Gobert has put in the work, have U?
nedleeds
General Manager
And1: 7,676

Post#13 » by nedleeds » Wed Jul 8, 2020 2:20 pm

Roddy B for 3 wrote:Gobert with the Mamba mentality AND the Mamba straight forwardness.

If Gobert had anything close to a Mamba mentality he could actually punish a switch with something resembling a low post game. He would have learned to pivot and shoot in the last 5 years. He's just an epic level, huge athlete with middling skills. Mitchell has worked on his game tirelessly since he was a teenage and probably wonders why Gobert can't shoot a jump hook over a 6' 5" guy.
Chanel Bomber wrote:I'm not coming back. This is my last song, and it sheets over your whole career. Go Knicks though.
jason bourne
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,602

Post#14 » by jason bourne » Wed Jul 8, 2020 3:45 pm

Roddy B for 3 wrote:Gobert with the Mamba mentality AND the Mamba straight forwardness.

I doubt it. Mamba could score from everywhere and people gave him the ball during crunch time and to take the final shot. With Gobert, it's more anti-Mamba and not giving him the ball during crunch time. He has to EARN the respect first instead of just crying and whining about it (which he's done I think for the first time this year).
“The most contrarian thing of all is not to oppose the crowd but to think for yourself.” Peter Thiel

ImageImage
dautjazz
RealGM
And1: 9,560

Post#15 » by dautjazz » Wed Jul 8, 2020 4:49 pm

Cassius wrote:
dautjazz wrote:
Cassius wrote:

Man, that trade for Conley was shockingly awful. They probably could have pulled CP for what they gave up, had the timing been right. Even a guy like Goran Dragic would have fit in well.

While I've never really been all that high on Conley, I'm not going to lie, after the trade was done, I was optimistic as many Jazz fans were base on his character and his 2019 stats (and 2017 playoff stats), but he was bad for us. He seemed to finally be getting his act together the last 10 or so games before the season what stopped cause of COVID-19.

I know Houston wouldn't have traded CP3 to us, since WB was available, but IDK what we could of really offered OKC outside of Mitchell and Gobert.
NickAnderson wrote:
How old are you, just curious.

by gomeziee on 21 Jul 2013 00:53

im 20, and i did grow up watching MJ play in the 90's.
Vegeta10176
Sixth Man
And1: 243

Post#16 » by Vegeta10176 » Wed Jul 8, 2020 4:57 pm

jason bourne wrote:

I doubt it. Mamba could score from everywhere and people gave him the ball during crunch time and to take the final shot. With Gobert, it's more anti-Mamba and not giving him the ball during crunch time. He has to EARN the respect first instead of just crying and whining about it (which he's done I think for the first time this year).

They may have given him the ball I crunch time but he was awful at making it count..
pootbrah
Bench Warmer
And1: 897

Post#17 » by pootbrah » Wed Jul 8, 2020 6:13 pm

Donovan does seem like a little bish
Cassius
RealGM

Post#18 » by Cassius » Wed Jul 8, 2020 6:14 pm

dautjazz wrote:
I know Houston wouldn't have traded CP3 to us, since WB was available, but IDK what we could of really offered OKC outside of Mitchell and Gobert.

I was more thinking that, if your trade hadn't happened on draft night, that OKC might have dealt CP3 to you right after dealing with Houston, in exchange for the prospects and expirings you sent to Memphis.
pootbrah
Bench Warmer
And1: 897

Post#19 » by pootbrah » Thu Jul 9, 2020 4:42 am

rockmanslim wrote:
rajajackal wrote:

being over 7 foot you have to have a thick skin to be successful with a world full of manlets.

Donovon is a bish. Rudy is resilient. That's all there is to this story.
Chris3323
Pro Prospect
And1: 49

Post#20 » by Chris3323 » Thu Jul 16, 2020 3:10 am

Cassius wrote:
dautjazz wrote:
Cassius wrote:

Conley just got older.. He lost a step when he became a dad.. hey that dad life is something.

Return to Wiretap Discussion