Carmelo Anthony Calls On Warriors, Five Other Pro Franchises To Eliminate Native American Mascots

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 292

Carmelo Anthony Calls On Warriors, Five Other Pro Franchises To Eliminate Native American Mascots 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Thu Jul 9, 2020 8:59 pm

Carmelo Anthony called on six professional sports franchises to change their Native American nicknames, including the Golden State Warriors.

The Washington NFL team and the Cleveland Indians are currently reevaluating their nicknames.

Washington is widely expected to removes its existing nickname before the start of the 2020 season.

The Indians have removed the offensive Chief Wahoo logo from the vast majority of its merchandise and is no longer worn by players on-field.

The Warriors had a logo featuring a caricature of a Native American similar to the Indians while in Philadelphia from 1946 until 1962 before switching to a headdress in San Francisco. The Warriors eliminated the logo in 1970.

Via RealGM Staff Report

KevinMcreynolds
RealGM
And1: 3,337

Re: Carmelo Anthony Calls On Warriors, Five Other Pro Franchises To Eliminate Native American Mascots 

Post#2 » by KevinMcreynolds » Thu Jul 9, 2020 11:19 pm

how bout no?
floppymoose wrote:Too much Vlad. Sixers can't handle it. Solid gold.

"I'm a big proponent of footwork. Believe me." ~Jim Barnett
oaktownwarriors87
RealGM
And1: 4,354

Re: Carmelo Anthony Calls On Warriors, Five Other Pro Franchises To Eliminate Native American Mascots 

Post#3 » by oaktownwarriors87 » Thu Jul 9, 2020 11:21 pm

As someone that was born in the Bay area, I find the 49ers mascot the most offensive. What? Just because I'm white I like to eat sourdough and look for gold?

My culture is not a costume.
cdubbz wrote:Donte DiVincenzo will outplay Poole this season.
robillionaire
RealGM
And1: 48,380

Post#4 » by robillionaire » Thu Jul 9, 2020 11:33 pm

this is sure to be one of those controversial "they're going too far" things, and it's true the golden state warriors changed the branding and don't use the native mascots any more (went from the native imagery to a bridge to the state of California on a basketball to the guy with the lightning bolt to a bridge again) and "warrior" can just be a generic term for any fighter or soldier, but it is also true there are many schools across the country that use the "warriors" mascot and still include the native imagery to this day and I think that's more the issue
TheCage4
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 518

Post#5 » by TheCage4 » Thu Jul 9, 2020 11:45 pm

Just like the current wave of woke culture, Carmelo will fade away soon enough.
“And where once you had the freedom to object, to think and speak as you saw fit, you now have censors and systems of surveillance coercing your conformity and soliciting your submission.” -Alan Moore
whatisacenter
RealGM
And1: 12,892

Post#6 » by whatisacenter » Fri Jul 10, 2020 12:11 am

Hey Carmelo, the Warriors don't have a mascot. I've been a fan since the mid 80's and the only mascot I can remember was Thunder, who was not in a native american costume.
Madvillain been as high as Kathmandu
And tilted to the side like that fat man's shoe
dautjazz
RealGM
And1: 9,560

Post#7 » by dautjazz » Fri Jul 10, 2020 12:51 am

Give me a break, the word Warrior is an empowering term if anything, and there is no natives in their logos, mascot, merchandise, etc. I can understand the Redskins and maybe some of the others, but this case is ridiculous.
NickAnderson wrote:
How old are you, just curious.

by gomeziee on 21 Jul 2013 00:53

im 20, and i did grow up watching MJ play in the 90's.
MadDogSHWA
General Manager
And1: 5,360

Post#8 » by MadDogSHWA » Fri Jul 10, 2020 12:51 am

whatisacenter wrote:Hey Carmelo, the Warriors don't have a mascot. I've been a fan since the mid 80's and the only mascot I can remember was Thunder, who was not in a native american costume.

Nice worKKK!

You just totally invalidated Carmelo's entire post.

WARNING: Don't make unfounded insinuations (and make no mistake-- this is unfounded based on this post) about other RealGMers.
-Sammy
"Packin' a Yak in the back by the rack" ~ Big Pun (probably)
MadDogSHWA
General Manager
And1: 5,360

Post#9 » by MadDogSHWA » Fri Jul 10, 2020 12:52 am

TheCage4 wrote:Just like the current wave of woke culture, Carmelo will fade away soon enough.

The boomers will fade first.
"Packin' a Yak in the back by the rack" ~ Big Pun (probably)
dautjazz
RealGM
And1: 9,560

Post#10 » by dautjazz » Fri Jul 10, 2020 12:54 am

oaktownwarriors87 wrote:As someone that was born in the Bay area, I find the 49ers mascot the most offensive. What? Just because I'm white I like to eat sourdough and look for gold?

My culture is not a costume.

Between 1960-68 their logo had a native headdress, but even that wasn't offensive.
NickAnderson wrote:
How old are you, just curious.

by gomeziee on 21 Jul 2013 00:53

im 20, and i did grow up watching MJ play in the 90's.
Psubs
RealGM
And1: 10,633

Post#11 » by Psubs » Fri Jul 10, 2020 1:10 am

Atlanta Brave (the virtue)
Chicago BlackIce (it's danergous)
Cleveland Rocks (HoF)
Washington Redtape (politics)
Golden State Wasbeens (yup)
Kansas City Mahomes (might as well)
whatisacenter
RealGM
And1: 12,892

Post#12 » by whatisacenter » Fri Jul 10, 2020 1:32 am

MadDogSHWA wrote:
whatisacenter wrote:Hey Carmelo, the Warriors don't have a mascot. I've been a fan since the mid 80's and the only mascot I can remember was Thunder, who was not in a native american costume.

Nice worKKK!

Really? Seems like quite a leap to throw out the kkk line. I’d be offended if you knew me.
Madvillain been as high as Kathmandu
And tilted to the side like that fat man's shoe
TMac Culloch
Sophomore
And1: 54

Post#13 » by TMac Culloch » Fri Jul 10, 2020 2:09 am

I understand Washington, Indians and Braves are ehh. Warriors and Chiefs are now a completely positive portrayal. I don't see why it's an issue if the portrayal is positive.
Raptor_Guy
General Manager
And1: 3,053

Post#14 » by Raptor_Guy » Fri Jul 10, 2020 2:38 am

MadDogSHWA wrote:

Nice worKKK!

Feels a bit extreme to call the poster racist, they're just pointing out that the Warriors don't have a native american mascot and shouldn't really be on that list..

Heck, I didn't even know that name had native american roots. Learn something new every day.
dc
Head Coach
And1: 8,583

Post#15 » by dc » Fri Jul 10, 2020 2:42 am

The Warriors used to have a native American mascot and they eliminated it decades ago.

The current Warriors logos and themes don't have any inference to native American imagery, i.e. feathers, headdress, arrows, mohawks, tomahawks, etc.....

The "Warriors" name as used by the team makes absolutely no connotations of any specific ethnic group. It's a completely generic name, both in and out of context.
Brian Geltzeiler: You see Mark Jackson getting a head coaching job as early as next year?

Adrian Wojnarowski: Not if people make calls on him. Not if an organization is doing their homework and knows all the things he brings with him.
His Airness 23
Sophomore
And1: 228

Post#16 » by His Airness 23 » Fri Jul 10, 2020 2:45 am

2020, where everybody is a crybaby b*tch.
Top 10 Greatest NBA Players of All-Time, in order...

1.) Michael Jordan 2.) Kareem Abdul-Jabbar 3.) Wilt Chamberlain 4.) Larry Bird
5.) Tim Duncan 6.) Shaquille O’Neal 7.) Magic Johnson 8.) Kawhi Leonard
9.) Hakeem Olajuwon 10. James Harden

Trump2020
dc
Head Coach
And1: 8,583

Post#17 » by dc » Fri Jul 10, 2020 2:54 am

TMac Culloch wrote:I understand Washington, Indians and Braves are ehh. Warriors and Chiefs are now a completely positive portrayal. I don't see why it's an issue if the portrayal is positive.

The Warriors "theme" now makes absolutely no references to native American culture (or any other culture for that matter) in anyway. They completely did away with their native American mascot about 50 years ago when they move from Philly to San Francisco.

The Chiefs do use native American imagery in their team "theme". They have the KC arrow logo and the fans have a Tomahawk Chop chant during games that Braves fans have always done.
Brian Geltzeiler: You see Mark Jackson getting a head coaching job as early as next year?

Adrian Wojnarowski: Not if people make calls on him. Not if an organization is doing their homework and knows all the things he brings with him.
jayrehme
Sixth Man
And1: 508

Post#18 » by jayrehme » Fri Jul 10, 2020 3:03 am

This is gradual infringement on the 1st amendment constitutional right...inching to take it away... gradually controlling your speech through media and people's "feelings".. dont let this garbage be a thing
Risk Addict
Analyst
And1: 239

Post#19 » by Risk Addict » Fri Jul 10, 2020 3:38 am

The warriors reference seems like a reach to make the post NBA-Carmelo relevant.
Johnny Bball
RealGM
And1: 48,741

Post#20 » by Johnny Bball » Fri Jul 10, 2020 4:02 am

I'll just stick to one.... How in the world are the Blackhawks part of this discussion in any way?

Return to Wiretap Discussion