Carmelo Anthony Calls On Warriors, Five Other Pro Franchises To Eliminate Native American Mascots

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

Commodor
Analyst
And1: 957

Re: Carmelo Anthony Calls On Warriors, Five Other Pro Franchises To Eliminate Native American Mascots 

Post#22 » by Commodor » Fri Jul 10, 2020 4:56 am

Honestly, as a warrior fan I have no problem doing away with the name if it insults people. Sports are supposed to bring people together not push them apart.

On the flip side, “Warriors” is a fairly generic name. I don’t know if the Native American community even considers that “theirs”.

It would seem a lot more general than say, the Vikings. Not trying to say anything dumb like all lives matter, I get the difference and respect it. But as other posters said “warriors” doesn’t exactly bring to mind Native Americans the way the other team names do.

Will be interesting to see if this escalates.
PrimzyBulls81
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,226

Re: Carmelo Anthony Calls On Warriors, Five Other Pro Franchises To Eliminate Native American Mascots 

Post#23 » by PrimzyBulls81 » Fri Jul 10, 2020 5:07 am

Warriors???? What??? Its not offensive at all.. Its empowering.. Stop smoking weed Melo
DoItALL9
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,272

Post#24 » by DoItALL9 » Fri Jul 10, 2020 5:08 am

Golden State

Redwoods
Brigadiers
Oaks
Golden Trout
Newts
Sequoia

(still dub nation)
Woodchuck
Wombats
Wagoneers
Whippets
Waterfalls
Wildebeests

Sent from my LM-G710 using RealGM mobile app
Cassius
RealGM
And1: 3,963

Post#25 » by Cassius » Fri Jul 10, 2020 7:09 am

Johnny Bball wrote:I'll just stick to one.... How in the world are the Blackhawks part of this discussion in any way?

They're not Blackhawks as in a bird, they're Blackhawks as in the tribe.

EDIT: I think the Warriors being included is kind of ironic, given that GSW is sits in the most left-leaning city, perhaps on the planet, and did everything to distance itself from anything remotely racist (except their security teams, lol)

They should come back with Dream Warriors and see if anyone bites,lol. Really, just go by Dubs... change the logo to a single W and move on
I_Like_Dirt wrote:The whole comparison to Kevin McHale is ridiculously close, imo... And that's without more hilarious aspects of the comparison, e.g. if Wally Sczerbiak were 7 feet tall with the slower reflexes that came with the additional height, he'd be Bargnani.
HighRyzer83
RealGM
And1: 4,487

Post#26 » by HighRyzer83 » Fri Jul 10, 2020 7:29 am

Being offended about stuff is the in thing now. Or, maybe melo is just looking for another way to gain sympathy votes in order to stay relevant.
Dr Huge Pecs
Senior
And1: 79

Post#27 » by Dr Huge Pecs » Fri Jul 10, 2020 10:03 am

HighRyzer83 wrote:Being offended about stuff is the in thing now. Or, maybe melo is just looking for another way to gain sympathy votes in order to stay relevant.

Celtics...and what about the most racist of them all, not a damn Celtic on the team.

Warriors is an English term you dumbasses...especially dub fans. Their latest logo with a warrior (in the 2000s was not native American) therefore it has been used as a universal term which can be applied to EVERY single culture on the planet. W fans deserve to have their history scrubbed though and they're so deuchy they'll do it themselves.

But what about the Celtics...as a person with Celtic heritage ... I feel offended that we are constantly referenced as being superior at basketball when clearly that does not seem to be the case.

I also think Carmelo should change his name because it sounds a little like caramel..
And that's racist.... He's a racist brown man who hates his natural skin color.... He should change his name to... Whitey johnson.

Just spitballing here
BigTex
Senior
And1: 79

Post#28 » by BigTex » Fri Jul 10, 2020 10:11 am

jayrehme wrote:This is gradual infringement on the 1st amendment constitutional right...inching to take it away... gradually controlling your speech through media and people's "feelings".. dont let this garbage be a thing

No, it’s not. The First Amendment is only enforceable against the government. “Congress shall make no law . . . .” Pressure from private individuals for groups t0o shame people to do the right thing isn’t an infringement of speech at all, much less by a government agency.
jk31
Rookie
And1: 668

Post#29 » by jk31 » Fri Jul 10, 2020 10:32 am

You know, I am all for equality, no matter the gender, ethnicity, religion or whatever. But nowadays many people who say they fight for equality just come up with stupid nonsense like this. What on earth will it help equality if the Warriors don't call themselves Warriors anymore? What on earth has the name "Warriors" even to do with indians?!

According to dictionary, warrior stands for "a brave or experienced soldier or fighter."
So a) it's a very, very positive phrase and b) IT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH INDIANS!
Johnny Bball
RealGM
And1: 48,702

Post#30 » by Johnny Bball » Fri Jul 10, 2020 11:59 am

Cassius wrote:
Johnny Bball wrote:I'll just stick to one.... How in the world are the Blackhawks part of this discussion in any way?

They're not Blackhawks as in a bird, they're Blackhawks as in the tribe.

EDIT: I think the Warriors being included is kind of ironic, given that GSW is sits in the most left-leaning city, perhaps on the planet, and did everything to distance itself from anything remotely racist (except their security teams, lol)

They should come back with Dream Warriors and see if anyone bites,lol. Really, just go by Dubs... change the logo to a single W and move on

No, they are blackhawks, named after the man.

And I don’t mean to be a what about guy, but if they were named after a tribe, how is that bad If it’s not a slur? A ton of our cities, roads, towns are named that way. For example Mohawk College... is that wrong too?
jayrehme
Sixth Man
And1: 508

Post#31 » by jayrehme » Fri Jul 10, 2020 12:26 pm

BigTex wrote:
jayrehme wrote:This is gradual infringement on the 1st amendment constitutional right...inching to take it away... gradually controlling your speech through media and people's "feelings".. dont let this garbage be a thing

No, it’s not. The First Amendment is only enforceable against the government. “Congress shall make no law . . . .” Pressure from private individuals for groups t0o shame people to do the right thing isn’t an infringement of speech at all, much less by a government agency.

Why do you say "the right thing"? Its not and who do you think is pushing this agenda through the MSM upon these useful idiots?
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 15,729

Post#32 » by dougthonus » Fri Jul 10, 2020 12:28 pm

Johnny Bball wrote:And I don’t mean to be a what about guy, but if they were named after a tribe, how is that bad If it’s not a slur? A ton of our cities, roads, towns are named that way. For example Mohawk College... is that wrong too?

I would guess this pretty much depends on the opinion of the people you are named after, whether they had a choice in it, whether they think it is honorary or insulting.

If someone named a street after me, I'd probably be pretty psyched. If that someone first stole my family's land, then fought us into near extinction, well, I might be less psyched even if they felt bad about all that now.
http://linktr.ee/bullsbeat - links to the bullsbeat podcast
@doug_thonus on twitter
Ccwatercraft
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,591

Post#33 » by Ccwatercraft » Fri Jul 10, 2020 12:30 pm

I'm fine with the warriors being included. Actually I insist on them being the #1 target.

They should be the first to step up to the plate and set an example for others.

Get on it golden state, now is a perfect time, what are you waiting for?

Erase your terrible past and embrace the future!
Johnny Bball
RealGM
And1: 48,702

Post#34 » by Johnny Bball » Fri Jul 10, 2020 12:41 pm

dougthonus wrote:
Johnny Bball wrote:And I don’t mean to be a what about guy, but if they were named after a tribe, how is that bad If it’s not a slur? A ton of our cities, roads, towns are named that way. For example Mohawk College... is that wrong too?

I would guess this pretty much depends on the opinion of the people you are named after, whether they had a choice in it, whether they think it is honorary or insulting.

If someone named a street after me, I'd probably be pretty psyched. If that someone first stole my family's land, then fought us into near extinction, well, I might be less psyched even if they felt bad about all that now.

The Wirtz’s stole your land...? I didn’t know.

Or by word someone, do you mean if “anyone” did it, no other person can then honour you. See what I’m saying?
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 15,729

Post#35 » by dougthonus » Fri Jul 10, 2020 12:50 pm

Johnny Bball wrote:=The Wirtz stole your land...? I didn’t know.

I'm sorry, was the parallel really too difficult for you to understand that you took it literally?

The Native American people literally had all of their land stolen and were fought to near extinction.

Or by word someone, do you mean if “anyone” did it, no other person can then honour you.

The Native American's generally don't feel that the descendants of the people whom conquered them and stole their land are honoring them by misappropriating their culture and misusing their heritage. The reasons for that are pretty common sense and straight forward.

I'm not going to sit here and tell you it's a hot button issue for me or anything, it really isn't. I'm from Chicago, I go to Blackhawks games. I'm not leading the charge to change the name (though I wouldn't care if they did either). I'm just saying it's pretty obvious why all of this stuff would be offensive if you were Native American. You don't have to think about it too deeply.

You have fans doing things like the tomahawk chop, or caricatures of Native American's doing Indian dances and other stuff which is just offensive to people of that belief system. It's like if I made the Chicago Christians and made our chant to crucify the opponent and put up Penguins players on a cross and burned them as part of my fight chant. I could also sell blood of Christ shots and have a ceremony where we all get **** drinking them. Good chance these types of things would deeply offend devout Christian people even if I said I was doing it to honor Christians.
http://linktr.ee/bullsbeat - links to the bullsbeat podcast
@doug_thonus on twitter
jayrehme
Sixth Man
And1: 508

Post#36 » by jayrehme » Fri Jul 10, 2020 12:51 pm

I find the New England Patriots name to be offensive.. it makes American patriots look aggressive and may hurt someone's feels.. ... oh wait never mind, it affects NOONES life whatsoever and if it does, they need to seek help
slicedbread2
Analyst
And1: 2,714

Post#37 » by slicedbread2 » Fri Jul 10, 2020 1:56 pm

I realize that there are some teams that could use a name change, but the chiefs aren't one of them.

Sure they had this logo until 1971 which wasn't exactly ideal:

https://www.sportslogos.net/logos/view/2aqyixgohws3xwl7zir9/Kansas_City_Chiefs/1963/Primary_Logo

Since then, they have gone with the arrowhead and there isn't anything offensive about it. In fact the team name originated from Lamar Hunt relocating the team known as the Dallas Texans to Kansas City and the name change to chiefs was inspired by Harold Roe Bartle, the mayor who's nickname was chief and was instrumental in convincing Lamar Hunt to move there due to Dallas being too small for the AFL and NFL in the early 60's.
Beethoven
Head Coach
And1: 3,831

Post#38 » by Beethoven » Fri Jul 10, 2020 2:34 pm

Slippery slope here..
If this succeeds who knows what possibilities abound ..

"Hey I don't like the car your driving the name represents something bad in the past. We aren't equal until we ALL are equal. Get rid of your car or else."

" Hey your business reminds me of something reminiscent of the past. Close it down or else. We are not equal until we ALL are equal"

" Hi there. We brought your child home from school we suspended him for 6 weeks. He is wearing a Nike shirt. Nike supports the CCP. We aren't equal until we ALL are equal. No learning for your child until the suspension is over "

"We will burn down your home because you don't support mix marriage. You are married to the same ethnicity as yourself. Can you see everyone is married to different ethnicities ? We ain't equal till we ALLLLLL are"

I wouldn't be surprised if we head this way.
Kobe Bryant forever
GO LAKERS
8-)
nedleeds
General Manager
And1: 7,676

Post#39 » by nedleeds » Fri Jul 10, 2020 2:44 pm

This is the insane Maoist bull that distracts from anything actually helpful being done for underserved populations and community. They change a name and all the rich white liberals hug each other and eat Dove bars. But it does nothing. Just wastes money that could go to building schools and helping addicts recover.
Chanel Bomber wrote:I'm not coming back. This is my last song, and it sheets over your whole career. Go Knicks though.
J-Roc
RealGM
And1: 7,550

Post#40 » by J-Roc » Fri Jul 10, 2020 2:51 pm

dougthonus wrote:

I would guess this pretty much depends on the opinion of the people
you are named after, whether they had a choice in it, whether they think it is honorary or insulting.

Problem with this line of thinking is that you could have 90% of the Mohawk's be happy with the name, but 5% offended. It's generally understood that even if a small number of people are offended by something, it's best to stop offending.

Return to Wiretap Discussion