Frank Vogel: LeBron James Deserves MVP, Anthony Davis Should Win Defensive Player Of The Year

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 292

Frank Vogel: LeBron James Deserves MVP, Anthony Davis Should Win Defensive Player Of The Year 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Sun Jul 19, 2020 3:53 am

Frank Vogel backed LeBron James to win the MVP this year, with Anthony Davis getting awarded the Defensive Player of the Year.

Vogel specifically brought up games against the Clippers and Bucks as to why James deserved to win MVP.

"In that weekend, LeBron took the toughest assignment in both games. He guarded Kawhi in the Clippers game and did a great job with him there. And then he guarded Giannis in the Bucks game when AD was in foul trouble and did a great job in those two situations. I think that weekend was probably a great indicator or a great measuring stick," said Vogel.

Vogel also pointed to the Lakers defense as to why both players should be recognized.

"We're the third best defense in the NBA, best in the West and a lot of that comes from [James'] commitment this season, which has been greater than the last few years from what I'm told, has really set us apart. Like I said, I'm hopeful that those two awards go to those two players."

Voting for all individual awards will take place before the Orlando restart. 

Via Dave McMenamin/ESPN

buckboy
RealGM
And1: 7,902

Re: Frank Vogel: LeBron James Deserves MVP, Anthony Davis Should Win Defensive Player Of The Year 

Post#2 » by buckboy » Sun Jul 19, 2020 5:28 am

:lol: :lol:
"This is my home, this is my city...I'm blessed to be a part of the Milwaukee Bucks for the next 5 years. Let's make these years count. The show goes on, let's get it."
Lockdown504090
RealGM
And1: 12,075

Re: Frank Vogel: LeBron James Deserves MVP, Anthony Davis Should Win Defensive Player Of The Year 

Post#3 » by Lockdown504090 » Sun Jul 19, 2020 7:13 am

I agree with frank... Giannis just deserves both awards a little more. Regardless of if he’s better than either guy, he’s just doing more and doing it more consistently
Jack Dempsey
Pro Prospect
And1: 514

Post#4 » by Jack Dempsey » Sun Jul 19, 2020 10:42 am

A head coach promoting his own players? No way
Elnegron
Rookie
And1: 366

Post#5 » by Elnegron » Sun Jul 19, 2020 11:30 am

Frank just provided evidence as to why giannis is mvp. LeBron plays with an elite superstar which happens to be a 2 way player
Mr Puddles
Assistant Coach
And1: 10,158

Post#6 » by Mr Puddles » Sun Jul 19, 2020 2:16 pm

For those who were wondering if hard liquor is served inside the Disney world bubble, Frank Vogel just provided you with an answer
Spoiler:
airjordanair
Senior
And1: 32

Post#7 » by airjordanair » Sun Jul 19, 2020 4:39 pm

Why stop there frank , you’d be coach of the year right? Or Lebron taking that too? Got 6th Man and most improved lined up too?
KGdaBom
RealGM
And1: 4,801

Post#8 » by KGdaBom » Sun Jul 19, 2020 6:51 pm

airjordanair wrote:Why stop there frank , you’d be coach of the year right? Or Lebron taking that too? Got 6th Man and most improved lined up too?

Don't forget Rookie of the Year. Do they have a Rookie?
Nuntius
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 17,306

Post#9 » by Nuntius » Sun Jul 19, 2020 7:35 pm

Frank has always backed his players up. He did that when he was with us so it doesn't surprise me that he does it with LA as well.
"No wolf shall keep his secrets, no bird shall dance the skyline
And I am left with nothing but an oath that gleams like a sword
To bathe in the blood of man
Mankind..."

She Painted Fire Across the Skyline, Part 3
- Agalloch
anatomicbomb
Sixth Man
And1: 1,208

Post#10 » by anatomicbomb » Sun Jul 19, 2020 7:55 pm

Can we just acknowledge that every NBA player or personnel member thinks members of their organization deserve the awards and stop asking?

Spoiler:
Everything is practice.
kenwood3333
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,195

Post#11 » by kenwood3333 » Sun Jul 19, 2020 8:30 pm

Vogel forgot to name himself as coach of the year
Galloisdaman
Analyst
And1: 2,167

Post#12 » by Galloisdaman » Sun Jul 19, 2020 9:40 pm

If you have AD added to your non playoff team and that team becomes a contender maybe he should be getting talk of your MVP? Giannis should be MVP. Lebron, AD, Kawhi, and Harden are all after him.
My eyes glaze over when reading alternative stat (not advanced stat) narratives that go many paragraphs long. If you can not make your point in 2 paragraphs it may not be a great point. :D
Pennebaker
Head Coach
And1: 5,577

Post#13 » by Pennebaker » Mon Jul 20, 2020 1:28 am

You may think Vogel is only saying that because he's coaching LeBron, but Vogel used to say that when he was coaching the Pacers.

He didn't praise Paul George. He praised his opponent and called the opponent LeBron the MVP AND, at the time, the Defensive Player of the Year.
ShowtimeFan
Bench Warmer
And1: 63

Post#14 » by ShowtimeFan » Mon Jul 20, 2020 5:39 am

THIS TIME...Frank is right!

But, while I think AD will win DPOtY and the powers that be will not want to go with someone on the same team for MVP, so it will go to the Greek Freak again...
JN61
RealGM
And1: 9,020

Post#15 » by JN61 » Mon Jul 20, 2020 8:24 am

LeBron at least got a case. But he is still clearly behind Giannis. Davis on The other hand has no case... He has been lazy at best most of this year.
Pennebaker wrote:And Bird did it while being a defensive liability. But he also made All-Defensive teams, which was another controversial issue regarding Bird and votes.
JN61
RealGM
And1: 9,020

Post#16 » by JN61 » Mon Jul 20, 2020 8:27 am

airjordanair wrote:Why stop there frank , you’d be coach of the year right? Or Lebron taking that too? Got 6th Man and most improved lined up too?

And if they lose you just know the narrative is coach is bad and LeBron has no teammates even though Davis is touted to be DPOY.
Pennebaker wrote:And Bird did it while being a defensive liability. But he also made All-Defensive teams, which was another controversial issue regarding Bird and votes.
dickfox
Senior
And1: 521

Post#17 » by dickfox » Mon Jul 20, 2020 2:39 pm

Vogel is the peewee football dad coach who starts his son at quarterback over the much more talented kid.

Return to Wiretap Discussion