Jimmy Butler Not Allowed To Wear Jersey With Blank Nameplate

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 292

Jimmy Butler Not Allowed To Wear Jersey With Blank Nameplate 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Sun Aug 2, 2020 3:01 am

Jimmy Butler changed out of a jersey with no name on its back to one with his last name before the start of Saturday's game.

Butler previously explained that he would like to keep his nameplate empty.

"I have decided not to [wear a message]," Butler said during a video call with reporters at the time. "With that being said, I hope that my last name doesn't go on there as well. Just because I love and respect all the messages that the league did choose, but for me, I felt like with no message, with no name, it's going back to, like, who I was. And if I wasn't who I was today, I'm no different than anybody else of color and want that to be my message in the sense that just because I'm an NBA player, everybody has the same right, no matter what, and that's how I feel about my people of color."

Butler said he was never given an official explanation from the league as to why he could not keep the back of his jersey nameplate empty.

"I don't know," Butler said on a video conference call following a 125-105 win over the Denver Nuggets. "I don't care. I didn't have a name on the back at the start, but I decided to change because my teammates probably needed me a little bit today."

Via Nick Friedell/ESPN

BlackThought
Sixth Man
And1: 1,546

Re: Jimmy Butler Not Allowed To Wear Jersey With Blank Nameplate 

Post#2 » by BlackThought » Sun Aug 2, 2020 5:11 am

should let him wear "Douche" on his back
IWishIWasHarden
Sixth Man
And1: 159

Post#3 » by IWishIWasHarden » Sun Aug 2, 2020 10:17 am

Trust Jimmy Butler to want to wear a blank name plate.

God this guy's a clown.
Nites
Junior
And1: 376

Post#4 » by Nites » Sun Aug 2, 2020 11:36 am

His name plate should just say "Blank" then.
Cookin Baskets
Sixth Man
And1: 265

Post#5 » by Cookin Baskets » Sun Aug 2, 2020 2:29 pm

He should be allowed to. There shouldn't be a problem with that.
I don't think I Trust The Process anymore! :banghead:
We are the originals! We are the Philadelphia 76ers!
popfan
Junior
And1: 224

Post#6 » by popfan » Sun Aug 2, 2020 8:20 pm

I couldn't imagine a more relevant response to BLM. Personally I would opt-out of the NBA's "social message" game to protest the illusion that the NBA is supporting social messages such as BLM, freedom, liberty, etc. There is a diversity of social messages to deliver in our country yet we're led to believe that only several messages exist. This -- all by itself -- is a deception to players and fans.

What's worse is that the NBA is profiting from these "social message" names. If I were Butler, I wouldn't want my name or an alias on my jersey. Kids could ask "Super Star, why didn't you choose BLM as your message?" forcing a star player to respond to a meaningless question. In the meantime the NBA rakes in the profit from all this madness.

What's brilliant about Butler's no-name is that he is communicating to fans young and old that he's against the social message game. He doesn't have to answer useless questions about why he kept 'Bulter' on his jersey. He doesn't believe in the merit of the existing menu of messages. And he's subtly criticizing the NBA like no other player in the NBA. His response has been the most Kaepernick-esque response from the players. Butler gets it. Lebron doesn't. Kudos to Butler.
IWishIWasHarden
Sixth Man
And1: 159

Post#7 » by IWishIWasHarden » Sun Aug 2, 2020 8:42 pm

Cookin Baskets wrote:He should be allowed to. There shouldn't be a problem with that.

The problem is the NBA would like to see the player's name if they're not embracing a protest message. Silence isn't a message.
alienpick
Starter
And1: 619

Post#8 » by alienpick » Mon Aug 3, 2020 12:54 am

popfan wrote:I couldn't imagine a more relevant response to BLM. Personally I would opt-out of the NBA's "social message" game to protest the illusion that the NBA is supporting social messages such as BLM, freedom, liberty, etc. There is a diversity of social messages to deliver in our country yet we're led to believe that only several messages exist. This -- all by itself -- is a deception to players and fans.

What's worse is that the NBA is profiting from these "social message" names. If I were Butler, I wouldn't want my name or an alias on my jersey. Kids could ask "Super Star, why didn't you choose BLM as your message?" forcing a star player to respond to a meaningless question. In the meantime the NBA rakes in the profit from all this madness.

What's brilliant about Butler's no-name is that he is communicating to fans young and old that he's against the social message game. He doesn't have to answer useless questions about why he kept 'Bulter' on his jersey. He doesn't believe in the merit of the existing menu of messages. And he's subtly criticizing the NBA like no other player in the NBA. His response has been the most Kaepernick-esque response from the players. Butler gets it. Lebron doesn't. Kudos to Butler.

excellent post. Lebron gets it too though. That's why he's not playing their game either. No "special" Lebron jersey for the NBA to sell either.
GaaBaaBoo
Senior
And1: 50

Post#9 » by GaaBaaBoo » Mon Aug 3, 2020 1:39 am

W T F D H T H I
Dr Huge Pecs
Senior
And1: 79

Post#10 » by Dr Huge Pecs » Mon Aug 3, 2020 4:39 am

popfan wrote:I couldn't imagine a more relevant response to BLM. Personally I would opt-out of the NBA's "social message" game to protest the illusion that the NBA is supporting social messages such as BLM, freedom, liberty, etc. There is a diversity of social messages to deliver in our country yet we're led to believe that only several messages exist. This -- all by itself -- is a deception to players and fans.

I would like to give Jimmy this credit...but I can't. He already applied for a blank jersey saying "if I wasn't an NBA players I'd be just another person of color " .... You know like an Indian motel owner... Or a philipino nurse... It was very BLM.

It was rejected. Probably because the NBA is star based and selling blank jerseys would be hard... And they wouldn't want say LeBron having a blank jersey too.

Maybe.... Just maybe you are right, and I hope you are... But that would have to mean Jimmy's agent told him to frame his reasoning in a BLM friendly way...

But the fact that he "tried to wear it" is BS, it was rejected, but the NBA probably liked Jimmy's reasoning so allowed this little stunt just to push the idea further... Without having to sell blank jerseys.

It's all show... And no one is watching. Ratings amazingly are super low and people are sick of rich, spoiled revolutionaries... Politicizing everything.

I like your reasoning above... But it's pretty much the opposite of Jimmy's reasoning.

That said, I say take all the names off the jerseys... And messages.... The NBAs foundation would be ripped out from under it. They'd have to put out a watchable product like they used to.
Vegeta10176
Sixth Man
And1: 243

Post#11 » by Vegeta10176 » Mon Aug 3, 2020 9:47 am

Dr Huge Pecs wrote:

I would like to give Jimmy this credit...but I can't. He already applied for a blank jersey saying "if I wasn't an NBA players I'd be just another person of color " .... You know like an Indian motel owner... Or a philipino nurse... It was very BLM.

It was rejected. Probably because the NBA is star based and selling blank jerseys would be hard... And they wouldn't want say LeBron having a blank jersey too.

Maybe.... Just maybe you are right, and I hope you are... But that would have to mean Jimmy's agent told him to frame his reasoning in a BLM friendly way...

But the fact that he "tried to wear it" is BS, it was rejected, but the NBA probably liked Jimmy's reasoning so allowed this little stunt just to push the idea further... Without having to sell blank jerseys.

It's all show... And no one is watching. Ratings amazingly are super low and people are sick of rich, spoiled revolutionaries... Politicizing everything.

I like your reasoning above... But it's pretty much the opposite of Jimmy's reasoning.

That said, I say take all the names off the jerseys... And messages.... The NBAs foundation would be ripped out from under it. They'd have to put out a watchable product like they used to.

Well that was a load of garbage and then dropping the ratings are low.. That is factually inaccurate..
Dr Huge Pecs
Senior
And1: 79

Post#12 » by Dr Huge Pecs » Mon Aug 3, 2020 1:12 pm

Vegeta10176 wrote:
Dr Huge Pecs wrote:

Well that was a load of garbage and then dropping the ratings are low.. That is factually inaccurate..

Google it.

Or here...https://www.google.com/amp/s/thesportsrush.com/nba-news-nba-ratings-crash-why-are-nba-and-mlb-ratings-at-an-all-time-low-after-black-lives-matter-protests/%3ffbclid=IwAR2PCU_tpLlylyYlX0Fg80Zdpk-ELKYW-Mrsc4_kj74gHJdCP5Es2-ZPT9c&amp

Or anywhere really
castor777
Senior
And1: 110

Post#13 » by castor777 » Mon Aug 3, 2020 1:23 pm

Dr Huge Pecs wrote:
Vegeta10176 wrote:
Dr Huge Pecs wrote:I would like to give Jimmy this credit...but I can't. He already applied for a blank jersey saying "if I wasn't an NBA players I'd be just another person of color " .... You know like an Indian motel owner... Or a philipino nurse... It was very BLM.

Google it.

Or here...https://www.google.com/amp/s/thesportsrush.com/nba-news-nba-ratings-crash-why-are-nba-and-mlb-ratings-at-an-all-time-low-after-black-lives-matter-protests/%3ffbclid=IwAR2PCU_tpLlylyYlX0Fg80Zdpk-ELKYW-Mrsc4_kj74gHJdCP5Es2-ZPT9c&amp

Or anywhere really

Yes Google it and actually read the comparisons. The NBA's return games were double their average viewers and just under the highs of this season. The weekend games represented a typical league average, which is interesting given these are the first NBA games played in July and August. We're also just now entering day 4, and the playoffs will be here in under 2 weeks. They're doing just fine.
arneil
Sophomore
And1: 119

Post#14 » by arneil » Mon Aug 3, 2020 1:30 pm

Im not down with all this social justice racial stuff thats going on. But I really respect what Jimmy said here. The that he said EVERYBODY deserves respect and that he's no different from anyone else and anyone else of colour. Thats the truth. This whole BLM stuff is a load of **** to me. But what Jimmy said there was probably the most inclusive thing Ive herd from any of the NBA players mouth. Props to you Jimmy.
ALPHAandOMEGA
Rookie
And1: 320

Post#15 » by ALPHAandOMEGA » Mon Aug 3, 2020 2:18 pm

IMO a blank jersey has more impact and generates more interest than any of the wokisms selected by the NBA.

The whole thing is so fake and contrived... but I guess that is what Silver's NBA is all about.
Cookin Baskets
Sixth Man
And1: 265

Post#16 » by Cookin Baskets » Mon Aug 3, 2020 11:03 pm

IWishIWasHarden wrote:
Cookin Baskets wrote:He should be allowed to. There shouldn't be a problem with that.

The problem is the NBA would like to see the player's name if they're not embracing a protest message. Silence isn't a message.

I have to disagree, Saying nothing can be can easily be construed a message. Maybe he feels exasperated with this whole equality struggle or this is just simply how he wishes to express himself.
I don't think I Trust The Process anymore! :banghead:
We are the originals! We are the Philadelphia 76ers!

Return to Wiretap Discussion