One-Dribble Three-Pointers Have Become NBA's Next Evolution

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

One-Dribble Three-Pointers Have Become NBA's Next Evolution 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Fri Aug 7, 2020 11:57 am

As the NBA has continued to shoot more three-pointers and defenses have adapted to trying to run shooters off the line and into the range, Michael Pina writes at The Ringer that there has been a significant rise in one-dribble three-point attempts.

The Golden State Warriors led the NBA in 14-15 in this category at 2.7 percent of their shot distribution, but it would now rank No. 29.

Zach LaVine and Jayson Tatum lead the NBA in one-dribble shots this season.

“Now it’s just 3s, but my first couple years I shot a whole bunch of one-dribble pull-ups along the baseline and stuff like that,” LaVine told Pina. “It’s just something that I had to add. Instead of me getting catch-and-shoots—they’ve been taking those away—the one-dribble pull-up has helped me create space.”

“Once you put the ball down, you’ve gotta reset the ball in a position that you like,” Washington Wizards guard Shabazz Napier said. “That’s where the field goal percentages drop. It’s not like players want to dribble.”

Duncan Robinson described his version of the one-dribble 3 as more of a “throw-out dribble”—one dribble in stride to evade a defender hot on his tail. “So I’ll come off a pin-down, throw it out, one dribble,” he said. “It’s just a little bit different than what you’re typically going to see.”

Trainer Drew Hanlen has worked with LaVine and Tatum on improving the one-dribble three-pointer. 

“You’ll see a lot of guys’ shots break down off the dribble,” Hanlen said. To get them comfortable from one season to the next, “most of them are making 250 to 500 3s a day, every single day throughout the summer. That’s how they actually see those increases in range, increases in percentage, and increase in frequency of them taking those shots.”

“I’m not one of these guys who’s gonna get the ball and try to facilitate and put it on the deck,” Joe Harris said. “But I’m always trying to find windows, find space. A lot of those catch-and-shoot opportunities are few and far between right now.”

Harris sees the one-dribble three-pointer as his best alternative. 

“If I don’t have space initially, off of some sort of screening action,” he said, “then I utilize one dribble.”

Via Michael Pina/The Ringer

popfan
Junior
And1: 224

Re: One-Dribble Three-Pointers Have Become NBA's Next Evolution 

Post#2 » by popfan » Fri Aug 7, 2020 3:11 pm

Dribbling before shooting is not new. It makes no difference where you do it on the court. If a team is determined to shoot outside of the three-point line, then so be it. The fundamentals of the move don't change. For those obsessed with pace, the dribble should be limited to one.

Essentially a player must be mobile to perform the maneuver. Guys like Davis Bertrans, Matt Bonner, and Steve Kerr are/were strictly catch & shoot guys. These players are/were immobile. Putting the ball on the floor before shooting would take them out of their rhythm. Guys like LaVine are mobile. They have better handles allowing them to safely step away from the catch & shoot.

The same could be said of centers from the 1970-80s. Some could dribble once and shoot (Kareem), while others were better off not putting the ball on the floor for fear of turnover. Meanwhile some mid-range shooters like Allan Houston were best at catch & shoot, while others like MJ, Manu and DeRozan can/could put the ball on the floor once (perhaps for a fade-away) to create space before shooting.

It's challenging to understand how this is an evolution. It's basketball: dribble once and shoot. It requires mobility regardless of your location on the court. Kareem, MJ and LaVine are/were mobile. I would argue that the skill required to dribble once and shoot increases the closer one is to the basket. In other words for a three, this maneuver is compact, purely vertical, less strenuous and less athletic. I doubt that same could be said of Kareem's sky hook or MJ's fade-away, whose shots always had an 'oo-ah' factor that a three-pointer rarely does. Watching Kareem or MJ shoot was like watching a plane take off. Watching three-point shooters perform the maneuver is like watching a groundhog emerge from its hole. Is this really evolution?
Lockdown504090
RealGM
And1: 12,092

Post#3 » by Lockdown504090 » Fri Aug 7, 2020 4:47 pm

popfan wrote:Dribbling before shooting is not new. It makes no difference where you do it on the court. If a team is determined to shoot outside of the three-point line, then so be it. The fundamentals of the move don't change. For those obsessed with pace, the dribble should be limited to one.

Essentially a player must be mobile to perform the maneuver. Guys like Davis Bertrans, Matt Bonner, and Steve Kerr are/were strictly catch & shoot guys. These players are/were immobile. Putting the ball on the floor before shooting would take them out of their rhythm. Guys like LaVine are mobile. They have better handles allowing them to safely step away from the catch & shoot.

The same could be said of centers from the 1970-80s. Some could dribble once and shoot (Kareem), while others were better off not putting the ball on the floor for fear of turnover. Meanwhile some mid-range shooters like Allan Houston were best at catch & shoot, while others like MJ, Manu and DeRozan can/could put the ball on the floor once (perhaps for a fade-away) to create space before shooting.

It's challenging to understand how this is an evolution. It's basketball: dribble once and shoot. It requires mobility regardless of your location on the court. Kareem, MJ and LaVine are/were mobile. I would argue that the skill required to dribble once and shoot increases the closer one is to the basket. In other words for a three, this maneuver is compact, purely vertical, less strenuous and less athletic. I doubt that same could be said of Kareem's sky hook or MJ's fade-away, whose shots always had an 'oo-ah' factor that a three-pointer rarely does. Watching Kareem or MJ shoot was like watching a plane take off. Watching three-point shooters perform the maneuver is like watching a groundhog emerge from its hole. Is this really evolution?

yup, a real matt bonner.
SoulJah
Rookie
And1: 509

Post#4 » by SoulJah » Fri Aug 7, 2020 5:49 pm

Klay Thompson is probably the best at the one dribble or catch and shoot opportunities. Man is just silky smooth.
Jedzz
RealGM
And1: 2,506

Post#5 » by Jedzz » Sat Aug 8, 2020 5:00 am

What about the Harden 9 dribble shake and bake three pointers?

Return to Wiretap Discussion