NBA Considering Bringing Eight Non-Restart Teams To Orlando

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

NBA Considering Bringing Eight Non-Restart Teams To Orlando 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Fri Aug 7, 2020 3:06 pm

The NBA is considering the possibility of bringing the eight teams who didn't participate in the restart to Orlando for a minicamp and scrimmages, sources tell Sam Amick of The Athletic

Six teams will leave Orlando at the end of the restart and the beginning of the playoffs.

The NBPA has been skeptical of any basketball setting that doesn't replicate the conditions the NBA created in Orlando.

The first round will begin on August 17th with the start of the second round and the addition of family members beginning on September 1st.

Via Sam Amick/The Athletic

SeanieWard
Senior
And1: 493

Re: NBA Considering Bringing Eight Non-Restart Teams To Orlando 

Post#2 » by SeanieWard » Fri Aug 7, 2020 3:13 pm

Are the playoffs still best of 7 games each round? I remember there were talks of 5 game series
mastermixer
Starter
And1: 2,949

Post#3 » by mastermixer » Fri Aug 7, 2020 3:29 pm

Doesn’t seem worth it to risk the playoffs by bringing in this huge influx of new people.

They should be just focusing on getting through the playoffs.
"Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that." -Martin Luther King Jr
birdlives_ma
Senior
And1: 779

Post#4 » by birdlives_ma » Fri Aug 7, 2020 4:43 pm

Probably not the best idea, but I get the logic. They took all the teams that mathematically had a chance at the playoffs, but that hasn’t played out so well... pretty sure the Nets and Wizards have both slipped behind the hornets in the standings? I’m sure the teams outside the bubble look at that and think “well damn, we could have played better than that”
Psubs
RealGM
And1: 10,633

Post#5 » by Psubs » Fri Aug 7, 2020 5:50 pm

Maybe have an open invitational NIT tournament.

Winning team gets an extra draft pick #61. :D
dubbmotta
Senior
And1: 103

Post#6 » by dubbmotta » Fri Aug 7, 2020 6:19 pm

Sounds like a waste...why risk the injury for a "scrimmage" especially if it's a contract year..Need to focus on finishing this season with the teams eligible
amcoolio
Hornets Forum John Hancock
And1: 9,236

Post#7 » by amcoolio » Fri Aug 7, 2020 6:40 pm

birdlives_ma wrote:Probably not the best idea, but I get the logic. They took all the teams that mathematically had a chance at the playoffs, but that hasn’t played out so well... pretty sure the Nets and Wizards have both slipped behind the hornets in the standings? I’m sure the teams outside the bubble look at that and think “well damn, we could have played better than that”

Lottery standings were locked thankfully, or the Hornets absolutely would have been screwed like they always are in the lottery

No doubt the Hornets would have competed better than these Nets or the Wizards, they all want to play and have been working out
I don't support domestic violence. Thanks Miles
Stillwater
RealGM
And1: 3,655

Post#8 » by Stillwater » Fri Aug 7, 2020 7:16 pm

adding more players and personel just increases risk, but they are delusional enough to buy into the bs test results.
I mean I am not going to the bubble safe or not when I have no playoff aspirations, its far safer at home for most of these players
SUNDOWN BRINGS A WELCOME CHANGE TO EVERYTHING THAT'S HIDING
babyshaq3
Sophomore
And1: 148

Post#9 » by babyshaq3 » Fri Aug 7, 2020 7:17 pm

I think they should look into playing for the draft pick. Have a tournament that the winner gets the first overall pick and finalist get the second pick. Instead of, best of 7, make it best of 3 so the tournament finish before the conference final.

It also solves the problem for tanking going forward and makes all games relevant. Fan base will watch and cheer for that tournament as well.
Stillwater
RealGM
And1: 3,655

Post#10 » by Stillwater » Fri Aug 7, 2020 7:37 pm

babyshaq3 wrote:I think they should look into playing for the draft pick. Have a tournament that the winner gets the first overall pick and finalist get the second pick. Instead of, best of 7, make it best of 3 so the tournament finish before the conference final.

It also solves the problem for tanking going forward and makes all games relevant. Fan base will watch and cheer for that tournament as well.

so the entire point of the lottery odds is so that tanking wont be worth it, now you want to double down on that to reward teams farther along in their rebuilds that tanked years previous and are more likely to win your little tourney? hard passs.
SUNDOWN BRINGS A WELCOME CHANGE TO EVERYTHING THAT'S HIDING
jk31
Rookie
And1: 668

Post#11 » by jk31 » Fri Aug 7, 2020 8:49 pm

Stillwater wrote:
babyshaq3 wrote:I think they should look into playing for the draft pick. Have a tournament that the winner gets the first overall pick and finalist get the second pick. Instead of, best of 7, make it best of 3 so the tournament finish before the conference final.

so the entire point of the lottery odds is so that tanking wont be worth it, now you want to double down on that to reward teams farther along in their rebuilds that tanked years previous and are more likely to win your little tourney? hard passs.

The purpose of the draft and the lottery is to get a Bad Team a promising youngster so they might get better in the future. why is it better to give that to Teams that instead of reaching the 8th Playoff Spot rather Tank for the 9th seed?
MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 36,846

Post#12 » by MrDollarBills » Fri Aug 7, 2020 9:25 pm

birdlives_ma wrote:Probably not the best idea, but I get the logic. They took all the teams that mathematically had a chance at the playoffs, but that hasn’t played out so well... pretty sure the Nets and Wizards have both slipped behind the hornets in the standings? I’m sure the teams outside the bubble look at that and think “well damn, we could have played better than that”

The Nets are currently in 7th and are 2-2 in the restart despite being decimated by Covid and injuries, but yeah keep talking.
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
kuclas
General Manager
And1: 3,905

Post#13 » by kuclas » Sat Aug 8, 2020 3:30 am

They should have made the 8th seed lottery eligible That would have spiced things up. Outside of making it to nba finals. Any 8th seed from either conference should have been eligible for lottery draft. Teams would actually try a little.
FreeBoosie
Senior
And1: 119

Post#14 » by FreeBoosie » Sat Aug 8, 2020 9:37 am

Little off topic but I haven’t really watched a full game or cared about the nba in this restart despite two of my favorite teams still strongly in the race and having the opportunity to watch them a lot more now than ever before due to all the games taking place on East coast times. Idk y because I really want to and always watched games before but all this time off due to Covid and the same season continuing after so many months just feels like a drag. Maybe it’s just me and everyone else is loving having the nba back but I have really lost interest at least in this season. Also with the way nba is conducting its business which seems to be money over everything and turning a blind eye to abuses taking place in markets overseas and then wanting to seem so perfect by constantly pushing profitable agendas like blm over and over makes it feel like less of a sports league and more of a political party. Again I could be completely wrong but would be interested to know if anyone else was in the same boat.
3ptLion
Freshman
And1: 15

Post#15 » by 3ptLion » Sat Aug 8, 2020 2:17 pm

It might be because I am a Knicks's fan but I also have zero-interest. I have watched NBA seasons from start to finish since the late 80s. When the Knicks get eliminated I still watch games nightly until the season is done. With the restart this season I do not care at all. I haven't watched a second of live basketball since the restart.

FreeBoosie wrote:Little off topic but I haven’t really watched a full game or cared about the nba in this restart despite two of my favorite teams still strongly in the race and having the opportunity to watch them a lot more now than ever before due to all the games taking place on East coast times. Idk y because I really want to and always watched games before but all this time off due to Covid and the same season continuing after so many months just feels like a drag. Maybe it’s just me and everyone else is loving having the nba back but I have really lost interest at least in this season. Also with the way nba is conducting its business which seems to be money over everything and turning a blind eye to abuses taking place in markets overseas and then wanting to seem so perfect by constantly pushing profitable agendas like blm over and over makes it feel like less of a sports league and more of a political party. Again I could be completely wrong but would be interested to know if anyone else was in the same boat.
3ptLion
Freshman
And1: 15

Post#16 » by 3ptLion » Sat Aug 8, 2020 2:18 pm

Interesting idea. That might get me to watch.

Return to Wiretap Discussion