Pacers Possibly Moving On From Nate McMillan Has 'Been The Hottest Rumor All Season'

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 292

Pacers Possibly Moving On From Nate McMillan Has 'Been The Hottest Rumor All Season' 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Fri Aug 7, 2020 9:37 pm

Jeff Van Gundy and Zach Lowe speculated on the future of Nate McMillan as head coach of the Indiana Pacers during a podcast on Thursday.

McMillan was promoted by the Pacers from assistant coach to head coach to replace Frank Vogel in 2016.

"All the Indiana Pacers do under Nate McMillan is win," said Zach Lowe.

Lowe also credited how the Pacers have created a culture of commitment on defense, but suggested the franchise could make a coaching change to take a leap offensively.

"I've had two people come up to me since I've been here and say 'You know, Nate McMillan is in trouble," said Van Gundy.

"It's been the hottest rumor all season," interjected Lowe. "It's been a rumor all season long."

Via Jeff Van Gundy, Zach Lowe/ESPN

bwgood77
Global Mod
Global Mod
And1: 57,412

Re: Pacers Possibly Moving On From Nate McMillan Has 'Been The Hottest Rumor All Season' 

Post#2 » by bwgood77 » Fri Aug 7, 2020 10:32 pm

I hate this mentality. "This guy has made us so good, now we need to take the next leap, so lets get someone else." This happens a lot...a coach overachieves with a team, and then they somewhat hit a wall when facing much higher talent (Indy took LeBron to 7), and then coach takes heat (usually from a lot of fans too). It happens in the NFL with guys like Andy Reid and Marty Schottenheimer in the past...coach moves on, teams regress. Happened with the Suns with D'Antoni to some extent....Suns got so good with SSOL but they allow a lot of points (no ****, when you run your offense in "Seven Seconds or Less" you will likely give up more points due to more possessions).....so Kerr tells him he needs to focus on defense...and hires Terry Porter and they regress. Then Kerr bolts for GS and runs a SSOL style offense of course.
anatomicbomb
Sixth Man
And1: 1,208

Re: Pacers Possibly Moving On From Nate McMillan Has 'Been The Hottest Rumor All Season' 

Post#3 » by anatomicbomb » Sat Aug 8, 2020 12:12 am

bwgood77 wrote:I hate this mentality. "This guy has made us so good, now we need to take the next leap, so lets get someone else." This happens a lot...a coach overachieves with a team, and then they somewhat hit a wall when facing much higher talent (Indy took LeBron to 7), and then coach takes heat (usually from a lot of fans too). It happens in the NFL with guys like Andy Reid and Marty Schottenheimer in the past...coach moves on, teams regress. Happened with the Suns with D'Antoni to some extent....Suns got so good with SSOL but they allow a lot of points (no ****, when you run your offense in "Seven Seconds or Less" you will likely give up more points due to more possessions).....so Kerr tells him he needs to focus on defense...and hires Terry Porter and they regress. Then Kerr bolts for GS and runs a SSOL style offense of course.

And there seems to be an expectation to continue taking great steps with the same players. McMillan has spent a lot of time missing key players and still has his team playing well, "but why aren't they contending yet?". Management needs to get him another all-star before they think about getting the team another coach.

Spoiler:
Everything is practice.
BigHustle
Pro Prospect
And1: 156

Post#4 » by BigHustle » Sat Aug 8, 2020 12:23 am

It’s not his fault Dipo busted himself up, he’s done a great job. Let him coach.
kamaze
General Manager
And1: 1,315

Post#5 » by kamaze » Sat Aug 8, 2020 12:53 am

Why would Jeff Van Gundy say this? I thought coaches had some sort of brotherhood.

Nate has done a great job with Indiana.
I got the burner-Kevin Durant

Cream rises to the top-Nic Claxton
basketballwacko2
RealGM
And1: 3,933

Post#6 » by basketballwacko2 » Sat Aug 8, 2020 12:59 am

IDK why the Pacers would look to dump Nate, he has done a great job. But I was shocked with they dumped Vogel so who knows.'

I doubt anything happens.
popfan
Junior
And1: 224

Post#7 » by popfan » Sat Aug 8, 2020 1:22 am

Ah the long-expected lynching of the first African NBA coach whilst in Thunderdome. Some Americana never changes. But hey -- go social change! Go USA!! Freedom! Equality!!!

The NBA coach who seems most ill-suited for his role is Billy Donovan. That Presti holds onto mediocre coaches for too long seems evident now. The Jim Boylan experiment has been a failure. Period. Meanwhile I've never understood why Scott Brooks is an NBA coach. IMO the championship culture burning within the outstanding team of the Toronto Raptors warrants a better head coach. None of these head coaches are African.

But hey -- let's torch Nate McMillan for obvious reasons. What a great competitor Nate was as a player. He always gave you his best. His great character was evident in his on-court play. Evidently his traits didn't translate to coaching as well as Donovan's or Brooks' or Boylan's.
Rashidi
Rookie
And1: 145

Post#8 » by Rashidi » Sat Aug 8, 2020 4:10 am

kamaze wrote:Why would Jeff Van Gundy say this? I thought coaches had some sort of brotherhood.

Nate has done a great job with Indiana.

JVG is saying it in defense of Nate. That he doesn't understand why his job would be in question.
Psubs
RealGM
And1: 10,633

Post#9 » by Psubs » Sat Aug 8, 2020 5:18 am

Pacers are doing pretty well with the best player out with plantar fasciitis.
Lockdown504090
RealGM
And1: 12,075

Post#10 » by Lockdown504090 » Sat Aug 8, 2020 12:54 pm

popfan wrote:Ah the long-expected lynching of the first African NBA coach whilst in Thunderdome. Some Americana never changes. But hey -- go social change! Go USA!! Freedom! Equality!!!

The NBA coach who seems most ill-suited for his role is Billy Donovan. That Presti holds onto mediocre coaches for too long seems evident now. The Jim Boylan experiment has been a failure. Period. Meanwhile I've never understood why Scott Brooks is an NBA coach. IMO the championship culture burning within the outstanding team of the Toronto Raptors warrants a better head coach. None of these head coaches are African.

But hey -- let's torch Nate McMillan for obvious reasons. What a great competitor Nate was as a player. He always gave you his best. His great character was evident in his on-court play. Evidently his traits didn't translate to coaching as well as Donovan's or Brooks' or Boylan's.

dont you have a protest to be at?

Return to Wiretap Discussion