Donovan Mitchell, Jazz Plan To Finalize Max Extension At Start Of Free Agency

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 292

Donovan Mitchell, Jazz Plan To Finalize Max Extension At Start Of Free Agency 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Wed Sep 2, 2020 3:28 pm

Donovan Mitchell will become eligible for a rookie scale max extension this offseason, which put his participation in the NBA's restart in a more perilous position than most of his peers. Mitchell has yet to make generational money in his career, but a severe injury could have jeopardized what will almost certainly be a five-year, $170 million max deal.

“Once my teammates told me they wanted to play, then I was all in. I couldn’t make it all about myself,” Mitchell told Chris Haynes of Yahoo! Sports after Game 7.

“There are younger guys who aren’t established in this league and needed this time to show their value. It would have been selfish of me to stand in the way of that. I couldn’t let my contract get in the way of the bigger picture. I had to rely on God. If I got hurt, it was God’s will. But I put my trust in Him and didn’t worry about potentially getting injured. That allowed me to go out there and play. My faith was in God.”

Mitchell and the Jazz will finalize a max extension when free agency opens in mid-October, sources tell Yahoo! Sports.

Via Chris Haynes/Yahoo! Sports

Finn Man
Sophomore
And1: 15

Re: Donovan Mitchell, Jazz Plan To Finalize Max Extension At Start Of Free Agency 

Post#2 » by Finn Man » Wed Sep 2, 2020 8:46 pm

It is quite refreshing to see how deeply into the game the young man is.
BigHustle
Pro Prospect
And1: 156

Re: Donovan Mitchell, Jazz Plan To Finalize Max Extension At Start Of Free Agency 

Post#3 » by BigHustle » Wed Sep 2, 2020 9:52 pm

I see they jazz have learned their lesson of being cheap with Gordon.
oaktownwarriors87
RealGM
And1: 4,354

Post#4 » by oaktownwarriors87 » Wed Sep 2, 2020 11:06 pm

I hope he signs it without player options.

Show your teammates (current and future) as well as potential FA's that you're 100% committed to this team.

It will also allow for the front office to build around him with confidence.
cdubbz wrote:Donte DiVincenzo will outplay Poole this season.
mjvile
Senior
And1: 52

Post#5 » by mjvile » Thu Sep 3, 2020 2:34 am

BigHustle wrote:I see they jazz have learned their lesson of being cheap with Gordon.

GH wasn’t as established as DM is. GH was averaging far less and was very inconsistent in his play. Two different players and two different situations. DM is clearly worth the max extension.
objectivefan
Junior
And1: 66

Post#6 » by objectivefan » Thu Sep 3, 2020 12:39 pm

oaktownwarriors87 wrote:I hope he signs it without player options.

Show your teammates (current and future) as well as potential FA's that you're 100% committed to this team.

For the sake of argument, let us say that the team changes coach, GM, or ownership, and the team direction changes from it currently it is. Or he is traded to a team, not to his liking. Then this young could be in a bad situation due to no fault of his own without any recourse.

Why get a pre-nup if this person is the love of your life? life happens and things change, that is why god invented contractual clauses.

you seem to confuse confidence in a situation with "good business"
oaktownwarriors87
RealGM

Post#7 » by oaktownwarriors87 » Thu Sep 3, 2020 3:42 pm

objectivefan wrote:

For the sake of argument, let us say that the team changes coach, GM, or ownership, and the team direction changes from it currently it is. Or he is traded to a team, not to his liking. Then this young could be in a bad situation due to no fault of his own without any recourse.

Why get a pre-nup if this person is the love of your life? life happens and things change, that is why god invented contractual clauses.

you seem to confuse confidence in a situation with "good business"

I'm talking about playing to win

You're talking about playing not to lose.

Always play to win.
mplsfonz23
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,310

Post#8 » by mplsfonz23 » Thu Sep 3, 2020 5:24 pm

Player options mean nothing. All he has to do is demand out or not play.
oaktownwarriors87
RealGM

Post#9 » by oaktownwarriors87 » Thu Sep 3, 2020 7:13 pm

mplsfonz23 wrote:

Player options mean nothing. All he has to do is demand out or not play.

Teams still have to give something up, and it's a bad look.

You're more likely to recruit than be recruited if you're locked in for 5 years.

It also takes away the stress and drama of "will he opt out" and "where will he go". You and your team just get to focus on basketball and none of the BS.

Return to Wiretap Discussion