Re: Giannis Antetokounmpo Wins 2nd Straight NBA MVP

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

Giannis Antetokounmpo Wins 2nd Straight NBA MVP 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Fri Sep 18, 2020 2:48 pm

Giannis Antetokounmpo has won his second consecutive NBA Most Valuable Player award. 

Antetokounmpo and the Milwaukee Bucks had the best record in the regular season but were eliminated in the second round of the playoffs.

Via Adrian Wojnarowski/ESPN

imDatknicksTape
Pro Prospect
And1: 361

Post#2 » by imDatknicksTape » Fri Sep 18, 2020 4:05 pm

Ppl talking about lebron more deserving of the MVP, did ppl not realize LBJ running- mate was 1st all team nba ?
Slacktard
RealGM
And1: 17,604

Post#3 » by Slacktard » Fri Sep 18, 2020 7:55 pm

Joins Steve Nash as the only two players in NBA history to win back to back MVP titles before getting to an NBA finals.

Wilt Chamberlain (3 straight MVPs) and Moses Malones(back to back) advanced to and won an NBA title in the season in which they received the 2nd MVP.

All other players with back to back MVP's had either advanced to a Conference Finals or won an NBA title before they received the 2nd MVP.
DarkoNeedsAfro
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,239

Post#4 » by DarkoNeedsAfro » Fri Sep 18, 2020 9:41 pm

imDatknicksTape wrote:Ppl talking about lebron more deserving of the MVP, did ppl not realize LBJ running- mate was 1st all team nba ?

I guess that’s why the Pelicans always had such amazing success and were the 1 seed?
njknicks
Pro Prospect
And1: 113

Post#5 » by njknicks » Sat Sep 19, 2020 12:49 am

Incredibly Giannis is just 25 and can still improve in terms of his ability to develop a respectable outside game ( especially when defenses close the lane in the playoffs ).
preldzic
Junior
And1: 345

Post#6 » by preldzic » Sat Sep 19, 2020 1:29 am

His 2nd round exit means that MVP awards don't matter. He disappeared in the 2019 WCF after game 2 after winning his 1st MVP. How did Westbrook do in the Playoffs after he won his MVP? What about Harden? It's been since Curry that MVP was given to a deserving player who could live by the award in the Playoffs. LeBron was the best player in the NBA for 10+ years, won the award 4 times only.
jigga_man
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,124

Post#7 » by jigga_man » Sat Sep 19, 2020 3:57 am

preldzic wrote:His 2nd round exit means that MVP awards don't matter. He disappeared in the 2019 WCF after game 2 after winning his 1st MVP. How did Westbrook do in the Playoffs after he won his MVP? What about Harden? It's been since Curry that MVP was given to a deserving player who could live by the award in the Playoffs. LeBron was the best player in the NBA for 10+ years, won the award 4 times only.

So it stopped mattering from the 2010 NBA season? Take a wild guess who was named MVP then.
tigerae
Rookie
And1: 233

Post#8 » by tigerae » Sat Sep 19, 2020 6:39 am

Robbed in my opinion. As with Shaq, LeBron will likely get the only real MVP trophy that matters. The Finals MVP.

The Nuggets really have no chance, they aren't taking on the Clippers or Jazz this time around and were already frustrated during game 1. Murray and Jokic got theirs but the others will struggle against the Lakers defense.

As hot as the Heat have been, I don't see them matching well with the Lakers, either.
Fellow72
Junior
And1: 141

Post#9 » by Fellow72 » Sat Sep 19, 2020 12:44 pm

The reason why i think the MVP award has become BS is because I'm all but certain Giannis will have a better season than his two MVP seasons and they will find a reason to give it to someone else. They don't want to give the award too much to the same player because it wont fit the narratives they like to create. Lebron has gotten snubbed because of this in the past. Giannis deserves the award, but Lebron was very close to catching up before the season ended prematurely. The award is well deserved barring his post season performances, but I anticipate the award becoming more of a circus award in the future.
preldzic
Junior
And1: 345

Post#10 » by preldzic » Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:47 am

jigga_man wrote:
preldzic wrote:His 2nd round exit means that MVP awards don't matter. He disappeared in the 2019 WCF after game 2 after winning his 1st MVP. How did Westbrook do in the Playoffs after he won his MVP? What about Harden? It's been since Curry that MVP was given to a deserving player who could live by the award in the Playoffs. LeBron was the best player in the NBA for 10+ years, won the award 4 times only.

So it stopped mattering from the 2010 NBA season? Take a wild guess who was named MVP then.

I am taking a shot at the award (and giving LeBron just as an example), you are not defending the award but taking a shot at LeBron. :) What I was saying is that out of 17 seasons, he was the best player for 10 or more seasons (not 2010-2020), proved it by making to the Finals 8 consecutive times, etc., but wasn't recognized in the regular season. My argument is basically just another "best player does not equal MVP" argument/complaint.

Honestly, it probably stopped mattering a long time ago. I'll never forget Malone over Jordan because the media was tired of giving it to MJ every year. It's too much about the stats, not the eye test, and trying to give the award to different (almost deserving) players.

And if we go back to Giannis, his team was eliminated twice in a row after he won MVP because he didn't play as well in the playoffs as in the regular season (I am generally hesitant to use the word choked... unless it's Playoff P :D ). And even Giannis said he didn't want to be called MVP until he won the title.

Return to Wiretap Discussion