Montrezl Harrell To Receive Interest From Clippers, Multiple Other Teams

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

Montrezl Harrell To Receive Interest From Clippers, Multiple Other Teams 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Mon Sep 21, 2020 8:33 pm

The Los Angeles Clippers and Montrezl Harrell have mutual interest in negotiating a deal this offseason as he becomes an unrestricted free agent. But Harrell is expected to receive interest from multiple other teams.

Harrell struggled in the playoffs and also had a run-in with Paul George during Game 2. 

Harrell re-signed with the Clippers in 2018 on a two-year, $12 million deal. 

Via Shams Charania/The Athletic

puja21
Bench Warmer
And1: 187

Re: Montrezl Harrell To Receive Interest From Clippers, Multiple Other Teams 

Post#2 » by puja21 » Tue Sep 22, 2020 4:44 am

I don't see how the Clippers can re-sign Trez without making significant moves first.

This will be his 3rd contract and he hasn't been paid yet, so no discount coming.

Clippers are already several million dollars over next year's cap without considering their free agent holds (Harrell among them)

Morris, Reggie Jackson, and Patrick Patterson are all non-bird while they have bird rights on Harrell and Harkless.

And that doesn't consider their holds for new draft picks (not that they have any of note) nor Motley's qualifying offer hold from his rookie deal.

Frank/Winger/West are going to have to get creative to keep this team together and/or put any talent around the expensive core.
Lockdown504090
RealGM
And1: 12,088

Post#3 » by Lockdown504090 » Tue Sep 22, 2020 4:54 am

puja21 wrote:I don't see how the Clippers can re-sign Trez without making significant moves first.

This will be his 3rd contract and he hasn't been paid yet, so no discount coming.

Clippers are already several million dollars over next year's cap without considering their free agent holds (Harrell among them)

Morris, Reggie Jackson, and Patrick Patterson are all non-bird while they have bird rights on Harrell and Harkless.

And that doesn't consider their holds for new draft picks (not that they have any of note) nor Motley's qualifying offer hold from his rookie deal.

Frank/Winger/West are going to have to get creative to keep this team together and/or put any talent around the expensive core.
? They cost less than philly roster and balmer really doesn’t care about salary if he thinks they can win . They can give trezz 18 million / year, and use their mle if I’m not mistaken? The question is just whether he is willing to pay repeater tax for this team
puja21
Bench Warmer

Post#4 » by puja21 » Tue Sep 22, 2020 5:05 am

Lockdown504090 wrote:
puja21 wrote:I don't see how the Clippers can re-sign Trez without making significant moves first.

? They cost less than philly roster and balmer really doesn’t care about salary if he thinks they can win . They can give trezz 18 million / year, and use their mle if I’m not mistaken? The question is just whether he is willing to pay repeater tax for this team

Forgot Harkless went to NY anyway.

I guess being over the cap and with no picks they have to try and retain Trez and just go into the luxury tax.

There aren't any other options besides minimum salaries, which could include some ring chasers
donemilio21
Analyst
And1: 774

Post#5 » by donemilio21 » Tue Sep 22, 2020 6:59 am

Lockdown504090 wrote: They cost less than philly roster and balmer really doesn’t care about salary if he thinks they can win . They can give trezz 18 million / year, and use their mle if I’m not mistaken? The question is just whether he is willing to pay repeater tax for this team

no way in hell Trezz will get $18m/ year from any team (ok, maybe Knicks). He is not a starter, he will not get paid like one. There is a reason Lou Williams signed for around $7-8M a year a couple of years ago. I think he gets somewhere between 3y/$24m and 4y/$48m. Oh and he better gives Clippers a discount after the egg he laid in the playoffs.
puja21
Bench Warmer

Post#6 » by puja21 » Tue Sep 22, 2020 4:12 pm

donemilio21 wrote:
Lockdown504090 wrote: They cost less than philly roster and balmer really doesn’t care about salary if he thinks they can win . They can give trezz 18 million / year, and use their mle if I’m not mistaken? The question is just whether he is willing to pay repeater tax for this team

no way in hell Trezz will get $18m/ year from any team (ok, maybe Knicks). He is not a starter, he will not get paid like one. There is a reason Lou Williams signed for around $7-8M a year a couple of years ago. I think he gets somewhere between 3y/$24m and 4y/$48m. Oh and he better gives Clippers a discount after the egg he laid in the playoffs.

Most reports actually say Harrell will likely get more than 18M. This is like Chris Paul in Houston. Both sides need each other.

The Athletic said offers for Harrell will likely start at $20 million annually with a 4-year, $100 million contract not out of the question. This was written after the Covid shutdown, with consideration for cap shrink already in mind. I've also seen "Clippers need to be prepared to pay upwards of 90M." Sabonis just got 4y 77M on only his first rookie extension.

And yes, there is a reason Lou signed for 8M. It was been well chronicled that he took significantly less than market value stay in LA:
Shams "This is much less expensive than expected for a player currently near an All-Star level, even if he’s 32 years old."
Lou's own words on the No Chill Podcast: “Me being happy and comfortable where I was in L.A., we took a deal that a lot of people were scratching their heads at, but **** made me happy. At the end of the day, that’s what it was about.”
Clippers beat writer Azarly reported the same thing.
And ESPN had another similar Lou quote: "Williams openly acknowledged that he appreciated the long-term commitment. 'It was nice for one to go my way and [for me to end up] somewhere I wanted to be. ... It's just nice to have that one consistent -- you know you're going to be somewhere for an extended period of time.' "

There is zero discount coming from Trez:
-He'll be 27 soon.
-This is his 3rd contract.
-He has barely banked 15M cumulatively
-He went back to Klutch / Rich Paul for this negotiation.
-He's on wax a bunch of times saying he's all in for the money:

1. "‘This game is about how long you can last, you’re not going to be in this game forever. You have to take care of your money"

2. "It’s just about me doing everything in my power to be able to take care of family."

3. "My family is who I do it for. My kids are the whole driving motor behind me. Just doing it for my family to put my family into better situations."

4. "[My family] had multiple jobs, and spent their last dime for me to play AAU games. I left home my junior year, and lived in a military school to get prepared for college basketball games, and get my grades up. My family has sacrificed a lot for me. This is what I do it for, and this is who I do it for"

5. "After purchasing the house, the next step for Harrell is taking care of all of his family’s financial needs. ‘It’s just about me getting them to the point where they don’t have to worry about anything and live comfortably"
Clippers have no other options with their cap besides running it back and they won't risk alienating Leonard and George to opt out in summer 2021.
Killboard
Analyst
And1: 943

Post#7 » by Killboard » Tue Sep 22, 2020 6:43 pm

Don't think many teams offering more than the MLE.
madmaxmedia
RealGM
And1: 6,747

Post#8 » by madmaxmedia » Tue Sep 22, 2020 6:52 pm

puja21 wrote:Most reports actually say Harrell will likely get more than 18M. This is like Chris Paul in Houston. Both sides need each other.

The Athletic said offers for Harrell will likely start at $20 million annually with a 4-year, $100 million contract not out of the question. This was written after the Covid shutdown, with consideration for cap shrink already in mind. I've also seen "Clippers need to be prepared to pay upwards of 90M." Sabonis just got 4y 77M on only his first rookie extension.

People are speculating that he will be offered less than previously thought due to his poor bubble and playoff play. Part of that is due to extenuating circumstances, but I think there are legitimate concerns about significant holes in his game. Most Clipper fans wanted a lot less of him during the playoffs, while we are not the FO that is not a good sign for a $100M contract...

He's gonna get a pretty good contract though, and has earned it. I am doubting it will be in LA but who knows.
puja21
Bench Warmer

Post#9 » by puja21 » Tue Sep 22, 2020 8:08 pm

madmaxmedia wrote:
puja21 wrote:Most reports actually say Harrell will likely get more than 18M. This is like Chris Paul in Houston. Both sides need each other.

People are speculating that he will be offered less than previously thought due to his poor bubble and playoff play. Part of that is due to extenuating circumstances, but I think there are legitimate concerns about significant holes in his game. Most Clipper fans wanted a lot less of him during the playoffs, while we are not the FO that is not a good sign for a $100M contract...

He's gonna get a pretty good contract though, and has earned it. I am doubting it will be in LA but who knows.

I don't see it. Lots of teams/players/coaches getting a pass on bubble results.

If the money changes severely I predict it will be due to league finances, not to anything related to his play
puja21
Bench Warmer

Post#10 » by puja21 » Tue Sep 22, 2020 8:12 pm

Killboard wrote:Don't think many teams offering more than the MLE.

Hard to say what the cap will really be, but Heat, Suns and Hornets all have cap room and various reasons they could chase
Killboard
Analyst
And1: 943

Post#11 » by Killboard » Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:06 pm

puja21 wrote:

Hard to say what the cap will really be, but Heat, Suns and Hornets all have cap room and various reasons they could chase

He would be a good fit on several teams, is just that I don't think many teams will pay him more than that, and would be shocked if it is twice as much.
ImOnFire
Freshman
And1: 14

Post#12 » by ImOnFire » Wed Sep 23, 2020 12:52 am

You could write the exact same "article" (and they probably will) on every upcoming free agent in the league.
ImOnFire
Freshman
And1: 14

Post#13 » by ImOnFire » Wed Sep 23, 2020 12:55 am

puja21 wrote:

The Heat don't need him they have Bam.
puja21
Bench Warmer

Post#14 » by puja21 » Wed Sep 23, 2020 2:20 pm

ImOnFire wrote:
puja21 wrote:

The Heat don't need him they have Bam.

Everyone needs depth and rotations

There are 240 mins to go around and many roster spots, especially relevant in 2020 position-less basketball

They also have Butler, Nunn, and Herro all sharing wing roles.

Robinson Crowder and Iggy all in that 3-and-D / stretch 4 role

Riley chases a certain type of personality and Harrell fits that

Return to Wiretap Discussion