Game 1 Of 2020 NBA Finals Draws 5.31M Viewers

Moderators: Domejandro, bwgood77

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
Posts: 82,327
And1: 228
Joined: Mar 19, 2013

Game 1 Of 2020 NBA Finals Draws 5.31M Viewers 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Thu Oct 1, 2020 7:48 pm

Game 1 of the 2020 NBA Finals between the Los Angeles Lakers and Miami Heat had a 2.2 rating in the 18-49 demographic to go with 5.31 million viewers overall.


The Lakers defeated the Heat 116-98 in a game that was not as close as the final score.


Game 1 of the 2019 Finals between the Toronto Raptors and Golden State Warriors drew 13.5 million viewers while Game 1 in 2018 between the Warriors and Cleveland Cavaliers drew 17.7 million viewers. 

Via Deadline

aguifs
Assistant Coach
Posts: 4,078
And1: 1,041
Joined: Jul 14, 2009
Location: Rio de Janeiro - Brazil
       

Re: Game 1 Of 2020 NBA Finals Draws 5.31M Viewers 

Post#2 » by aguifs » Thu Oct 1, 2020 8:32 pm

Since NBA became the Chinese league, I don't give a fu...
#FIREGARPAX #BOYCOTTABULL #REINSDORKSELLTHEFRANCHISE
Dmagic
Senior
Posts: 701
And1: 233
Joined: Apr 12, 2019
     

Re: Game 1 Of 2020 NBA Finals Draws 5.31M Viewers 

Post#3 » by Dmagic » Thu Oct 1, 2020 9:02 pm

the political crap rubbed americans the wrong way--bc of how they(players)(mostly lebron) went about it and what they were implying--point blank--its not the "pandemic"
we as americans arent dumb--we know lebron has a personal beef with trump and that he is highly influential to all players. esp his friends like cp3. FACTS
and lets not act like the whole black stuff isnt kinda racist towards white people--it is--it excludes them and points to racism as a huge problem--not everyone believes this

we all agree police policy needs improved--they should have focused on that instead of making it something that it perhaps isnt

the players dont know enough facts on these cases to SHOUT injustice--its just the truth
User avatar
jamesnamida
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,136
And1: 2,044
Joined: Mar 05, 2011

Re: Game 1 Of 2020 NBA Finals Draws 5.31M Viewers 

Post#4 » by jamesnamida » Thu Oct 1, 2020 10:00 pm

Lebron fatigue,
Especially since most people know the series won’t be competitive.
Lakers have 2 nba first team players- two top five players in the league.
And they have better role players, Dwight and rondo are playing like their all star selves in limited minutes. Danny green The prototypical 3 n D is out of his funk, and Morris Is better than half the teams 6th man

Would’ve meant more/ be more interesting if lebron brought last years cast to the finals, or if the underdog nuggets were playing.

Plus the politics and lebron doing a 180 of boycotting the post season a month ago was a put off. Like stick with ur morals. He lead the boycott after the bucks did it, then realized players and owners were fine with cancelling the season- which made him immediately argue for the continuation during the players meeting since the would cost him a Easy chip after stacking the deck with Anthony Davis.. im fine with him wanting to win a title to try and catch MJ who’s a dick, but u can’t have it both ways.
scrabbarista
General Manager
Posts: 9,381
And1: 6,914
Joined: May 31, 2015
 

Re: Game 1 Of 2020 NBA Finals Draws 5.31M Viewers 

Post#5 » by scrabbarista » Thu Oct 1, 2020 10:05 pm

I think it's everything cited itt, plus cord cutting, plus some whack officiating this postseason. I still think cord cutting is the biggest factor, but I have no doubt that the political mess and double standards (bitch ass white boy) are turning some people off. Same goes for all the other factors cited: pandemic, China hypocrisy, LeBron fatigue, weird time of year, perceived mismatch, no fans in the stadiums, etc..
User avatar
oaktownwarriors87
RealGM
Posts: 12,252
And1: 3,812
Joined: Mar 01, 2005
 

Re: Game 1 Of 2020 NBA Finals Draws 5.31M Viewers 

Post#7 » by oaktownwarriors87 » Thu Oct 1, 2020 11:12 pm

RealGM wrote:Game 1 of the 2020 NBA Finals between the Los Angeles Lakers and Miami Heat had a 2.2 rating... 5.31 million viewers overall.

Game 1 of the 2019 Finals between the Toronto Raptors and Golden State Warriors drew 13.5 million

Game 1 in 2018 between the Warriors and Cleveland Cavaliers drew 17.7 million viewers.


Woooo there, RealGM.

Canada isn't included in those ratings. 7.1 Million Canadians watched game 1 in 2019.

2020 = 5.3 (Lakers/Heat)
2019 = 20.2 (Warriors/Raptors)
2018 = 17.7 (Warriors/Cavs)
2017 = 18.7 (Warriors/Cavs)
2016 = 19.2 (Warriors/Cavs)
2015 = 17.8 (Warriors/Cavs)
2014 = 14.9 (Heat/Spurs)
2013 = 14.2 (Heat/Spurs)
2012 = 16.2 (Heat/Thunder)
2011 = 15.2 (Heat/Mavs)
2010 = 14.1 (Lakers/Celtics)
2009 = 13.0 (Lakers/Magic)
2008 = 13.4 (Lakers/Celtics)
2007 = 9.2 (Cavs/Spurs)
2006 = 11.5 (Heat/Mavs)
2005 = 10.6 (Spurs/Pistons)
2004 = 15.4 (Lakers/Pistons)
2003 = 9.6 (Spurs/Nets)
2002 = 15.9 (Lakers/Nets)
2001 = 18.6 (Lakers/76ers)
2000 = 10.6 (Lakers/Pacers)
PockyCandy wrote:Is Ball's shot any more ugly than Curry's? Curry just seems to launch it towards the basket like an 8 year old.
ArchBanana
Ballboy
Posts: 21
And1: 143
Joined: Feb 07, 2018
   

Re: Game 1 Of 2020 NBA Finals Draws 5.31M Viewers 

Post#8 » by ArchBanana » Thu Oct 1, 2020 11:23 pm

scrabbarista wrote:I think it's everything cited itt, plus cord cutting, plus some whack officiating this postseason. I still think cord cutting is the biggest factor, but I have no doubt that the political mess and double standards (bitch ass white boy) are turning some people off. Same goes for all the other factors cited: pandemic, China hypocrisy, LeBron fatigue, weird time of year, perceived mismatch, no fans in the stadiums, etc..



I don't disagree with the political side or the lack of interest in Lebron again, but I never understood the cord cutting argument. Those people probably watched the other finals to, I doubt they all decided to cut NOW with no change in broadcasting methods when they watched the finals on TV.
scrabbarista
General Manager
Posts: 9,381
And1: 6,914
Joined: May 31, 2015
 

Re: Game 1 Of 2020 NBA Finals Draws 5.31M Viewers 

Post#9 » by scrabbarista » Thu Oct 1, 2020 11:34 pm

ArchBanana wrote:
scrabbarista wrote:I think it's everything cited itt, plus cord cutting, plus some whack officiating this postseason. I still think cord cutting is the biggest factor, but I have no doubt that the political mess and double standards (bitch ass white boy) are turning some people off. Same goes for all the other factors cited: pandemic, China hypocrisy, LeBron fatigue, weird time of year, perceived mismatch, no fans in the stadiums, etc..



I don't disagree with the political side or the lack of interest in Lebron again, but I never understood the cord cutting argument. Those people probably watched the other finals to, I doubt they all decided to cut NOW with no change in broadcasting methods when they watched the finals on TV.


Given the apparent drop across all sporting events, it would seem that the time of year may be the biggest factor. I think there's more going on, though.
fox2jk
Junior
Posts: 286
And1: 145
Joined: Jun 15, 2019

Re: Game 1 Of 2020 NBA Finals Draws 5.31M Viewers 

Post#10 » by fox2jk » Fri Oct 2, 2020 2:34 am

Fake basketball plus BLM equals more white fans than you think.
DoctorDunc
Sophomore
Posts: 173
And1: 25
Joined: Nov 07, 2019

Re: Game 1 Of 2020 NBA Finals Draws 5.31M Viewers 

Post#11 » by DoctorDunc » Fri Oct 2, 2020 3:07 am

In any business when you neglect the customer they find somewhere else to shop.
User avatar
Green89
RealGM
Posts: 23,138
And1: 20,888
Joined: Apr 01, 2013

Re: Game 1 Of 2020 NBA Finals Draws 5.31M Viewers 

Post#12 » by Green89 » Fri Oct 2, 2020 5:30 am

Lakers-Celtics would have doubled these ratings.
wco81
RealGM
Posts: 14,345
And1: 5,811
Joined: Jul 04, 2013
     

Re: Game 1 Of 2020 NBA Finals Draws 5.31M Viewers 

Post#13 » by wco81 » Fri Oct 2, 2020 6:43 am

Wow if the big Laker Nation fan base doesn't deliver ratings in these Finals, maybe the NBA will stop trying to help them so much.
FreeBoosie
Junior
Posts: 492
And1: 83
Joined: Oct 20, 2013

Re: Game 1 Of 2020 NBA Finals Draws 5.31M Viewers 

Post#14 » by FreeBoosie » Fri Oct 2, 2020 11:19 am

I’m a long time lakers fan but I can never route for a lebron lead super team especially when they’re destroying their under staffed opponent all while hearing espn commentators suck Lebron’s D. So instead of routing against my lakers and being pissed, I’m taking this finals off. You go to sleep a lot less pissed after watching a travel show or having watched Bob Ross paint a cabin in front of tall mountains lol
User avatar
SoulJah
Rookie
Posts: 1,088
And1: 348
Joined: Dec 25, 2002
       

Re: Game 1 Of 2020 NBA Finals Draws 5.31M Viewers 

Post#15 » by SoulJah » Fri Oct 2, 2020 2:59 pm

FreeBoosie wrote:I’m a long time lakers fan but I can never route for a lebron lead super team especially when they’re destroying their under staffed opponent all while hearing espn commentators suck Lebron’s D. So instead of routing against my lakers and being pissed, I’m taking this finals off. You go to sleep a lot less pissed after watching a travel show or having watched Bob Ross paint a cabin in front of tall mountains lol


That. People just take NBA as a WWE set up for a dramatic ending to the COVID hit season. Kobe's team wins the championship after he passes away and Lebron does it, what a storyline. People just don't give a crap anymore. Even when national channels act like they are local fanboys of Lakers and Lebrons, people lose interest because everything seems so planned out.
BigHustle
Senior
Posts: 693
And1: 101
Joined: Jun 30, 2018

Re: Game 1 Of 2020 NBA Finals Draws 5.31M Viewers 

Post#16 » by BigHustle » Fri Oct 2, 2020 3:09 pm

SoulJah wrote:
FreeBoosie wrote:I’m a long time lakers fan but I can never route for a lebron lead super team especially when they’re destroying their under staffed opponent all while hearing espn commentators suck Lebron’s D. So instead of routing against my lakers and being pissed, I’m taking this finals off. You go to sleep a lot less pissed after watching a travel show or having watched Bob Ross paint a cabin in front of tall mountains lol


That. People just take NBA as a WWE set up for a dramatic ending to the COVID hit season. Kobe's team wins the championship after he passes away and Lebron does it, what a storyline. People just don't give a crap anymore. Even when national channels act like they are local fanboys of Lakers and Lebrons, people lose interest because everything seems so planned out.

I didn’t even know there was a game.

Return to Wiretap Discussion