Dennis Smith Jr. Working Out With Mahmoud Abdul Rauf, Impresses Knicks With Commitment

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

Dennis Smith Jr. Working Out With Mahmoud Abdul Rauf, Impresses Knicks With Commitment 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Sun Oct 11, 2020 5:07 pm

Dennis Smith Jr. was working out with New York Knicks coaches weeks before formal individual workouts began, sources told Ian Begley of SNY. 

Members of the Knicks organization were reportedly impressed with Smith's commitment.

Smith has also been working out with Mahmoud Abdul Rauf, with workouts put together by his agent Raymond Brothers.

Smith will be a restricted free agent in the summer of 2021. 

Via Ian Begley/SNY

Roddy B for 3
Analyst
And1: 1,039

Re: Dennis Smith Jr. Working Out With Mahmoud Abdul Rauf, Impresses Knicks With Commitment 

Post#2 » by Roddy B for 3 » Sun Oct 11, 2020 7:27 pm

As a Maverick fan who was really happy to draft DSJ and not 100% sold that the KP trade was a slam dunk. I want to give my pro-DSJ bias on why he might bounce back and could still be a really good player.

His rookie (Dallas)(69 games 30mpg) year was
15/5/4 on 40/31/70shooting splits
He was a very bad 19 year old defender at PG.
His raw numbers look good, his shooting splits are bad. But he was the #1 option in a really talentless team.

Year 2. (in Dallas) (32 games 28mpg)
14/5/3 on 44/37/70
His defense improved significantly. But he was merely borderline average with iq mistakes (at 20 years old playing PG defensively).
Obviously the shooting numbers are great for a year two development project. He also shot 4 threes a game so not a tiny amount. The ball was taken out of his hands and giving to Luka. He looked on track to be a fine secondary ball handler playing PG next to Luka being a star Point-Forward.
Year 2. (Knicks) (22 games 28mpg)
15/5/3 on 41/29/57
Obviously a huge drop in percentages playing for a completely tanking for Zion Knicks team with a discombobulated roster after a major mid season trade. The Raw numbers were fine. I didn't have the eye test though.

Year 3. (Knicks) (34 games 16mpg)
6/3/2 on 34/30/51 %'s
A terrible year after a much hyped off-season.
He changed his jumper alot in the off-season (not saying better or worse just change takes time) and his step mother died near the start of the season. Between the injuries and family sadness a awfulnproduction season for a 21 year old isn't that crazy imo. The roster was so bad Elfrid Payton was one of the best players (Elf is a solid player). Elf was definitely better and more stable than DSJ and Frank was imo a better role player but worse featured playmaker). So Elf was better as a starter and Frank better at 3/D.

A solid rookie year.
A good year 2 in Dallas, and bad in NY.
A awful year 3 in NY with injuries and his step mom passing.

His per 36 #'s for these three years are
18/6/5 on 40/31/70
17/6/4 on 43/32/62
13/7/5 on 34/30/51

If he can stay healthy and shoot 43/32/70 his averages based on his career per-36 FGA #'s would be
17.5/6/5 on 40/32/70
With average defensive (his peak defense was his year 2 Dallas stint from what I've seen)
Per 36 of
17.5/6/5 40/32/70
Is really good and a few percentage points more on FT% and 3 % he'd be a very very valuable player.
7/1/2019
(I broke a mirror on 7-1-2012)
bockingknickers
Sophomore
And1: 23

Re: Dennis Smith Jr. Working Out With Mahmoud Abdul Rauf, Impresses Knicks With Commitment 

Post#3 » by bockingknickers » Sun Oct 11, 2020 9:37 pm

Contract year for the kid, if he doesn’t come correct his next team will be in China. Less than 60% from the line is god awful for some who takes it to the rack and will get fouled a lot. The hope is he can come out fire in the first half season and we can trade him for an early second rounder.
NoStatsGuy
Analyst
And1: 1,357

Post#4 » by NoStatsGuy » Mon Oct 12, 2020 9:49 am

Roddy B for 3 wrote:As a Maverick fan who was really happy to draft DSJ and not 100% sold that the KP trade was a slam dunk. I want to give my pro-DSJ bias on why he might bounce back and could still be a really good player.

His raw numbers look good, his shooting splits are bad. But he was the #1 option in a really talentless team.

14/5/3 on 44/37/70
His defense improved significantly. But he was merely borderline average with iq mistakes (at 20 years old playing PG defensively).
Obviously the shooting numbers are great for a year two development project. He also shot 4 threes a game so not a tiny amount. The ball was taken out of his hands and giving to Luka. He looked on track to be a fine secondary ball handler playing PG next to Luka being a star Point-Forward.
15/5/3 on 41/29/57
Obviously a huge drop in percentages playing for a completely tanking for Zion Knicks team with a discombobulated roster after a major mid season trade. The Raw numbers were fine. I didn't have the eye test though.

6/3/2 on 34/30/51 %'s
He changed his jumper alot in the off-season (not saying better or worse just change takes time) and his step mother died near the start of the season. Between the injuries and family sadness a awfulnproduction season for a 21 year old isn't that crazy imo. The roster was so bad Elfrid Payton was one of the best players (Elf is a solid player). Elf was definitely better and more stable than DSJ and Frank was imo a better role player but worse featured playmaker). So Elf was better as a starter and Frank better at 3/D.

A solid rookie year.

18/6/5 on 40/31/70
17/6/4 on 43/32/62
13/7/5 on 34/30/51

If he can stay healthy and shoot 43/32/70 his averages based on his career per-36 FGA #'s would be
17.5/6/5 on 40/32/70
With average defensive (his peak defense was his year 2 Dallas stint from what I've seen)
Per 36 of
17.5/6/5 40/32/70
Is really good and a few percentage points more on FT% and 3 % he'd be a very very valuable player.

its pretty obvious, that the kid went through some **** mentally last 2 years. those numbers dont go down just like that.

i wish him nothing but the best and hope he can bounce back and get a fat paycheck. I just hope its not with the knicks. we need consistency and a PG that can shoot.
im bout dat action boss
Jedzz
RealGM
And1: 2,506

Post#5 » by Jedzz » Mon Oct 12, 2020 4:37 pm

NoStatsGuy wrote:
Roddy B for 3 wrote:As a Maverick fan who was really happy to draft DSJ and not 100% sold that the KP trade was a slam dunk. I want to give my pro-DSJ bias on why he might bounce back and could still be a really good player.

14/5/3 on 44/37/70
15/5/3 on 41/29/57

6/3/2 on 34/30/51 %'s

A solid rookie year.

18/6/5 on 40/31/70
17/6/4 on 43/32/62
13/7/5 on 34/30/51

17.5/6/5 on 40/32/70
Per 36 of
17.5/6/5 40/32/70

its pretty obvious, that the kid went through some **** mentally last 2 years. those numbers dont go down just like that.

i wish him nothing but the best and hope he can bounce back and get a fat paycheck. I just hope its not with the knicks. we need consistency and a PG that can shoot.

Knicks need Jordan Mclaughlin. Been seeing the need/fit since regular season.
MaseInYourFace
RealGM
And1: 11,272

Post#6 » by MaseInYourFace » Mon Oct 12, 2020 5:00 pm

Hopefully he can shoot now.
MIAMI HEAT BAF
G- James Harden
G- Malcolm Brogdon
F- Robert Covington
F- Paul Millsap
C- Dwight Howard
Bench: S. Milton, F. Korkmaz, K. Bazemore, D. Oturu, J. McDaniels, A. Caruso, T. Mann
IR: X. Tillman Sr., J. Nwora, E. Hughes,
nedleeds
General Manager
And1: 7,676

Post#7 » by nedleeds » Mon Oct 12, 2020 6:22 pm

working out with a complete chucker is probably the last thing he needs to do
Zenzibar wrote:Nevertheless, Payton is not a finished product yet and unless the team moves him in a couple of weeks, I anticipate him trending upward with this coaching staff.
niha17
Rookie
And1: 68

Post#8 » by niha17 » Mon Oct 12, 2020 8:37 pm

Workout setup by the agent means I want to show you i can still play. Hes on his way out of NY. He knew he was on a short leash with tib. My guess hes traded by the all star break. To move in the right direction means making goood decisions. Ny should trade knox smith and frank in a package for beal.
_BALLDONTLIE
Sophomore
And1: 162

Post#9 » by _BALLDONTLIE » Mon Oct 12, 2020 9:29 pm

niha17 wrote:Ny should trade knox smith and frank in a package for beal.

As a Knicks fan, I'm not sure why Washington would give up Beal for 3 draft flops (they're still young but let's be real).

And then even if the Wizards wanted to do it, all 3 are on rookie deals while Beal is making around 30 mil a year. So that trade would need one of our **** vets (Wizards don't want that) and probably one or more picks (we don't want that).
Almond2Oak
Junior
And1: 317

Post#10 » by Almond2Oak » Tue Oct 13, 2020 4:13 am

He working with the right dude. Rauf a walking bucket and get 15+ a night right now in this busted era.

Return to Wiretap Discussion