Pistons Could Have Trade Market For Blake Griffin

Moderators: Domejandro, bwgood77

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 291

Pistons Could Have Trade Market For Blake Griffin 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:22 pm

Blake Griffin has two seasons remaining on his contract with the Detroit Pistons after having an All-NBA Third Team season in 18-19. Griffin was limited to just 18 games during the 19-20 season after having two surgeries on his left knee.

"Enough people have asked me what I've heard about Blake Griffin and how he's looking," said Zach Lowe on his podcast. "What am I hearing? This and that. That I think Detroit is going to have a market for him.

"I don't think it's going to be, like, strong. They're not going to have two first round picks, or even a first round pick unless they take back something onerous too. But I've had enough teams ask me about Blake Griffin that I think there's still interest in what he can do to help you win."

The Los Angeles Clippers traded Griffin to the Pistons in January 2018 just a few months after signing him to a five-year contract.

Via Zach Lowe/ESPN

Chris3323
Pro Prospect
And1: 49

Re: Pistons Could Have Trade Market For Blake Griffin 

Post#2 » by Chris3323 » Wed Oct 21, 2020 12:14 am

CELTICS for Hayward.
TORONTO for Ibaka +
MIAMI for Robinson
UTAH for ?
ROCKETS for ?
dubbmotta
Senior
And1: 99

Post#3 » by dubbmotta » Wed Oct 21, 2020 1:05 am

Celtics for Hayward might work..but rather see the Celtics trade Hayward and a first for Steven Adams
MitchB3
Starter
And1: 144

Post#4 » by MitchB3 » Wed Oct 21, 2020 1:47 am

Chris3323 wrote:CELTICS for Hayward.
TORONTO for Ibaka +
MIAMI for Robinson
UTAH for ?
ROCKETS for ?

Why would Miami trade for that contract?
haste10176
Bench Warmer
And1: 140

Post#5 » by haste10176 » Wed Oct 21, 2020 4:53 am

Chris3323 wrote:CELTICS for Hayward.
TORONTO for Ibaka +
MIAMI for Robinson
UTAH for ?
ROCKETS for ?

Rockets for Westbrook.. Griffin is a better match with Harden than Westbrook
KingElessar
Ballboy
And1: 8

Post#6 » by KingElessar » Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:11 am

dubbmotta wrote:Celtics for Hayward might work..but rather see the Celtics trade Hayward and a first for Steven Adams

Adams to the Celtics has been long overdue. Hopefully it becomes a reality next season now that OKC is rebuilding. Crossing my fingers though it won't cost giving up anyone from the core.
TheCage4
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 509

Post#7 » by TheCage4 » Wed Oct 21, 2020 1:24 pm

Somehow, some way, he'll end up on the Knicks with Melo and Chris Paul :noway: :banghead: :nonono:
“And where once you had the freedom to object, to think and speak as you saw fit, you now have censors and systems of surveillance coercing your conformity and soliciting your submission.” -Alan Moore
objectivefan
Junior
And1: 66

Post#8 » by objectivefan » Wed Oct 21, 2020 1:29 pm

hmm.. a high flyer that has undergone several knee procedures. Blake is trying to transition to shooting more outside shots, which is not what got him into the league.

Given his injury history and sizeable annual salary, why would you trade for him unless Detroit throws in a draft pick?

Given the push for 3D type players... The Nets Joe Harris seems a cheaper better fit for more teams.
Billl
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,349

Post#9 » by Billl » Wed Oct 21, 2020 2:00 pm

I hope so. It would speed our rebuild. He's obviously got huge injury concerns, but he's just a year removed from putting up 24/7/5 . A team would need to load manage him forever, but he's a very skilled player. His contract is horrible, but it's down to only 2 years now.
TPA
Senior
And1: 467

Post#10 » by TPA » Wed Oct 21, 2020 9:50 pm

objectivefan wrote:hmm.. a high flyer that has undergone several knee procedures. Blake is trying to transition to shooting more outside shots, which is not what got him into the league.

Given his injury history and sizeable annual salary, why would you trade for him unless Detroit throws in a draft pick?

Given the push for 3D type players... The Nets Joe Harris seems a cheaper better fit for more teams.

Blake successfully transitioned into a competent outside shooter in 18', connecting on 36% of those. He was still a serviceable facilitator and capable point scorer until injuries finished that season... A borderline all-star caliber season. This season was a forfeit due to chronic injury.

Any team trading for Blake is hoping that he revives his 2018 season potential, with the understanding that he is a massive expiring in two seasons, and potentially tradable in 21'. Detroit will not throw a draft pick in for any deal including Griffin, unless they're getting something special in return. They're not desperate to dump him. They'd rather roll with him as a vet and enjoy the expiring contract as they rebuild vs. taking on a lateral/worse contract (without the addition of picks).
HotelVitale
RealGM
And1: 9,724

Post#11 » by HotelVitale » Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:57 pm

objectivefan wrote: Given his injury history and sizeable annual salary, why would you trade for him unless Detroit throws in a draft pick? Given the push for 3D type players... The Nets Joe Harris seems a cheaper better fit for more teams.

Not sure why you'd bring up Joe Harris. He plays a totally different role, plus only one team can get him, and only if they have a good chunk of cap space this year. And only if he doesn't resign with the Nets, which seems likely now. That leaves probably 12-15 other teams that are trying to improve this year, and the article is saying that some of them might be interested in trading for Griffin. Doesn't say he'll be a hot commodity, just that a trade might be possible despite his injuries and contract.
Rek
Senior
And1: 128

Post#12 » by Rek » Thu Oct 22, 2020 2:25 am

TPA wrote:until injuries finished that season...

This is the only part that GMs need concern themselves with given his salary.

I like Blake, but, he's a walking poison pill. Not sure who would actually trade for him. Knicks?

Return to Wiretap Discussion