Giannis Antetokounmpo, Bucks Believed To Be Prepared To Take Situation To 2021 Free Agency

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

Giannis Antetokounmpo, Bucks Believed To Be Prepared To Take Situation To 2021 Free Agency 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:49 pm

Neither the Milwaukee Bucks and Giannis Antetokounmpo are expected to position themselves in a way during the 2020 offseason that would lead to a trade, similar to the path taken during the 15-16 season by Kevin Durant and the Oklahoma City Thunder.

"All of the intel I've gotten for years is Giannis is not going to do that with Dallas or any other team," said Zach Lowe on his podcast. "And the Bucks, as a result, will take it to the end as the Thunder did with Durant. If he doesn't sign the supermax, you just live in this world all year. If he doesn't sign the supermax and he doesn't say 'I'm leaving', then the Bucks are not trading him. And they're going to try to win the championship and convince him to stay. Or get to The Finals and convince him to stay. Get to The Finals and make a trade that convinces him... Whatever. Somehow convince him to stay.

"I think they take it to the end and that only changes if Giannis tells them now 'I want to go to this place' or 'I'm not re-signing.' Which I don't think will happen."

Lowe also anticipates Antetokounmpo won't sign the supermax this offseason. 

Antetokounmpo has publicly said he won't request a trade this offseason.

Via Zach Lowe/ESPN

RealGM
And1: 66,481

Re: Giannis Antetokounmpo, Bucks Believed To Be Prepared To Take Situation To 2021 Free Agency 

Post#2 » by 720 » Wed Oct 21, 2020 3:23 am

Giannis coming to Toronto.
HiRez
RealGM
And1: 3,589

Re: Giannis Antetokounmpo, Bucks Believed To Be Prepared To Take Situation To 2021 Free Agency 

Post#3 » by HiRez » Wed Oct 21, 2020 5:50 am

If it becomes obvious he's leaving, whether by him telling them explicitly or not, they will start taking phone calls. And the Durant situation mentioned should make it all the more obvious it's a choice of getting something or getting nothing, that's a pretty easy choice to make. I still only give Giannis leaving maybe a 40% chance, but that's higher than I would have said a year ago and if the Bucks have an unimpressive offseason that number is going to go up a lot. Perhaps Giannis isn't yet convinced he has to go but after getting booted out of the playoffs again the question is certainly in his mind: "Will it ever be enough here?"
objectivefan
Junior
And1: 66

Post#4 » by objectivefan » Wed Oct 21, 2020 8:22 pm

can we get some clarification?

1. If Gianns leaves via free agency doesn't he lose out on the Supermax possibility?
2. What are the contract max differences between staying, being traded, and leaving via being an unrestricted free agent ?
3. Is a Supermax sign and trade possible?
the13thjoker
Sophomore
And1: 30

Post#5 » by the13thjoker » Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:55 pm

objectivefan wrote:can we get some clarification?

1. If Gianns leaves via free agency doesn't he lose out on the Supermax possibility?
2. What are the contract max differences between staying, being traded, and leaving via being an unrestricted free agent ?
3. Is a Supermax sign and trade possible?

Yes he does lose out on the Supermax. Supermax can only be offered by the team that drafted him or traded for his rookie contract.
Supermax numbers:
21/22: $42,630,000
22/23: $46,040,400
23/24: $49,450,800
24/25: $52,861,200
25/26: $56,271,600
Total: $247,254,000
If Giannis signed with another team, it would be a $34 million difference across those first four years. And then he'd be passing on a guaranteed $56 million in Year 5, which only the Bucks could offer.

Supermax can be traded but only a year after signing
Elnegron
Rookie
And1: 370

Post#6 » by Elnegron » Thu Oct 22, 2020 12:19 am

In other words if giannis plans on getting supermax and leaving , this is the season to do it then force a trade. It seems like money isn't everything for him which means he leaving after 2020. He can still sign a max deal next off season in s&t or sign straight with a team or supermax and stay in that bad team

Return to Wiretap Discussion