NBA Aiming For MLK Day Start To 21-22 Season

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 294

NBA Aiming For MLK Day Start To 21-22 Season 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Thu Oct 22, 2020 2:14 am

The NBA is focusing on starting the 20-21 season on Martin Luther King Day, which falls on January 18th.

MLK Day has historically been an important day on the NBA's calendar as it is a national holiday on a Monday as the NFL playoffs winds down. A Christmas Day start hasn't been ruled out, but MLK Day feels more pragmatic at this time for the league.

It hasn't been decided whether the NBA can implement a full 82-game schedule.

The focus for 20-21 is to finish in time for the draft, free agency and rest of the 2021 offseason to return to a normal mid-October start for 21-22.

Via Vincent Goodwill/Yahoo! Sports

dautjazz
RealGM
And1: 9,563

Re: NBA Aiming For MLK Day Start To 21-22 Season 

Post#2 » by dautjazz » Thu Oct 22, 2020 2:53 am

So we got to wait 3 months, guess it's going to be a relatively short off season, but it's plenty of rest since the players had a huge break in 2020.
NickAnderson wrote:
How old are you, just curious.

by gomeziee on 21 Jul 2013 00:53

im 20, and i did grow up watching MJ play in the 90's.
DoItALL9
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,272

Post#3 » by DoItALL9 » Thu Oct 22, 2020 4:47 am

Why not Xmas?
Most players will have been off 4-8+ months

Sent from my LM-G710 using RealGM mobile app
Dr Huge Pecs
Senior
And1: 79

Post#4 » by Dr Huge Pecs » Thu Oct 22, 2020 5:43 am

So this is basically another lost season... there are many reasons. Player union contract...the bubble went over like a lead balloon, general concern about the nba's future, the election dragging on, taking away viewers, the general disdain basketball fans let alone casual sports fans have for the nba currently.

The nba struck out And they are hoping biden gets in and they can go back to china's "loving embrace"

not only are they waiting for the election to be sorted out...player contracts to be figured out...etc. however they cant out wait their own incompetence. If u asked me 10 years ago which league would be on its way out i would have said baseball...but Even as a basketball fan i cant deny that the nba went from the second best run sports league in the us to (by far) the worst.

I stopped watching before covid and wont start again anytime soon. The product has slipped so fast its somewhat unbelievable...
bullsaficianado
Rookie
And1: 335

Post#5 » by bullsaficianado » Thu Oct 22, 2020 6:31 am

I think Christmas day debut makes the most sense since players already rested. Have like one week off in between months to spread the season out till April, shorten it a little like 20 games less. The goal should be to make this as close to a normal NBA season as possible.
Lee in Oregon
Sophomore
And1: 41

Post#6 » by Lee in Oregon » Thu Oct 22, 2020 6:40 am

The main issue isn't when, it's where. If it's going to be another "bubble", MLK day is fine. Let the guys have holidays at home and start up another shortened season in January, ending sometime in summer.
Lee in Oregon
Sophomore
And1: 41

Post#7 » by Lee in Oregon » Thu Oct 22, 2020 6:57 am

Dr Huge Pecs wrote:So this is basically another lost season... there are many reasons. Player union contract...the bubble went over like a lead balloon, general concern about the nba's future, the election dragging on, taking away viewers, the general disdain basketball fans let alone casual sports fans have for the nba currently.

The nba struck out And they are hoping biden gets in and they can go back to china's "loving embrace"

not only are they waiting for the election to be sorted out...player contracts to be figured out...etc. however they cant out wait their own incompetence. If u asked me 10 years ago which league would be on its way out i would have said baseball...but Even as a basketball fan i cant deny that the nba went from the second best run sports league in the us to (by far) the worst.

I stopped watching before covid and wont start again anytime soon. The product has slipped so fast its somewhat unbelievable...

Yet here you are writing a response during the offseason that's longer than the article itself. The product is actually better than ever, and the bubble, in most people's opinion, was a success. If you don't want to watch, or maybe you have a problem with players speaking out (cause that's what it sounds like), just don't. Somehow the league will survive without you.
Dr Huge Pecs
Senior

Post#8 » by Dr Huge Pecs » Thu Oct 22, 2020 8:38 am

Lee in Oregon wrote:
Dr Huge Pecs wrote:So this is basically another lost season... there are many reasons. Player union contract...the bubble went over like a lead balloon, general concern about the nba's future, the election dragging on, taking away viewers, the general disdain basketball fans let alone casual sports fans have for the nba currently.

Yet here you are writing a response during the offseason that's longer than the article itself. The product is actually better than ever, and the bubble, in most people's opinion, was a success. If you don't want to watch, or maybe you have a problem with players speaking out (cause that's what it sounds like), just don't. Somehow the league will survive without you.

oh criticism of a league I watched for years...spent money on is somehow uncalled for...hmmm I don't...think I mentioned the politicized movement in the nba other than Biden...but here you are bringing player's "speaking out" as you say. yet you can't say "free HK" ironic no?

the league will lose billions. the bubble was garbage. I did try to watch highlights... twice. I was so uninspired by the money grab season I stopped trying to watch something I actually enjoyed a lot only 5 years ago.

players speaking out... or being compelled to "speak out" was ... meh no big deal... it is the manufactured outcome and predictability that got me to stop... before covid... before the bubble.

and yes this is a sports site... not an nba site. if you don't like people commenting on your favorite millionaires and billionaires go somewhere else.

or just disregard it.

but no the bubble sucked and everyone knows it. that's why no one watched the finals 5.3 million... compared with regular season football (11 million plus)... sad.
Nites
Junior
And1: 376

Post#9 » by Nites » Thu Oct 22, 2020 8:59 am

Why so freakin' late? Stop pushing back the season.
PDXKnight
RealGM
And1: 2,680

Post#10 » by PDXKnight » Thu Oct 22, 2020 1:03 pm

The nba, where agendas happen. You can advertise for Biden all you want but if you mention trump one time the league fines you..
DoctorDunc
Junior
And1: 45

Post#11 » by DoctorDunc » Thu Oct 22, 2020 1:44 pm

They should start play on Chines new Year.
Flash Falcon X
General Manager
And1: 4,708

Post#12 » by Flash Falcon X » Thu Oct 22, 2020 2:45 pm

Dr Huge Pecs wrote:
Lee in Oregon wrote:

oh criticism of a league I watched for years...spent money on is somehow uncalled for...hmmm I don't...think I mentioned the politicized movement in the nba other than Biden...but here you are bringing player's "speaking out" as you say. yet you can't say "free HK" ironic no?

the league will lose billions. the bubble was garbage. I did try to watch highlights... twice. I was so uninspired by the money grab season I stopped trying to watch something I actually enjoyed a lot only 5 years ago.

players speaking out... or being compelled to "speak out" was ... meh no big deal... it is the manufactured outcome and predictability that got me to stop... before covid... before the bubble.

and yes this is a sports site... not an nba site. if you don't like people commenting on your favorite millionaires and billionaires go somewhere else.

or just disregard it.

but no the bubble sucked and everyone knows it. that's why no one watched the finals 5.3 million... compared with regular season football (11 million plus)... sad.

You speak as if people care about how much you’re losing interest in the NBA. :lol: :lol: :lol:

The world doesn’t revolve around you. You’re trying too hard to look unique and cognizant online but it comes off as whiny lmaoooo.

We’ll keep watching the game while you sit down here whining and complaining about it and trying to validate your feelings on RealGM.

But go ahead, keep crying more. Reply to this with some witty response about ratings and politics. It’ll just make you look even more desperate to stand out. :lol: :lol: :lol:
#DubNation
cheese318
Sixth Man
And1: 230

Post#13 » by cheese318 » Thu Oct 22, 2020 3:53 pm

Guess you don’t watch the games because nothing slipped on the court. Don’t let politics rule your life because it’s seems that’s why you have such harsh judgment for a group of individuals
Hoopzilla wrote:
Whether I was born or not when the Orlando Magic tried to form a Super Team means absolutely nothing to this conversation. One thing is pretty clear, you are the load your mother should have swallowed and moved on with her life... :nod:
jason bourne
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,602

Post#14 » by jason bourne » Thu Oct 22, 2020 4:21 pm

Lee in Oregon wrote:The main issue isn't when, it's where. If it's going to be another "bubble", MLK day is fine. Let the guys have holidays at home and start up another shortened season in January, ending sometime in summer.

It's not the Bubble again. They're going to have fans in the arenas. It won't be to capacity, so the NBA is thinking abount charging $20 more per ticket. You can tell Kawhi to lump it, but will have to social distance and be wearing a mask I guess.
“The most contrarian thing of all is not to oppose the crowd but to think for yourself.” Peter Thiel

ImageImage
tidho
General Manager
And1: 3,085

Post#15 » by tidho » Thu Oct 22, 2020 7:11 pm

As 'woke' as they've become I'm surprised the NBA still views that as a holiday, lol. MLK's view on race is basically the same as the Republican Party at this point - judged on the content of character rather than color of skin - mindset is basically considered racist at this point.
SOUL
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 38,052

Post#16 » by SOUL » Thu Oct 22, 2020 9:49 pm

tidho wrote:As 'woke' as they've become I'm surprised the NBA still views that as a holiday, lol. MLK's view on race is basically the same as the Republican Party at this point - judged on the content of character rather than color of skin - mindset is basically considered racist at this point.

Yes, definitely the only thing MLK has ever uttered. Totally.
Dr Huge Pecs
Senior

Post#17 » by Dr Huge Pecs » Fri Oct 23, 2020 2:21 pm

SOUL wrote:
tidho wrote:As 'woke' as they've become I'm surprised the NBA still views that as a holiday, lol. MLK's view on race is basically the same as the Republican Party at this point - judged on the content of character rather than color of skin - mindset is basically considered racist at this point.

Yes, definitely the only thing MLK has ever uttered. Totally.

well that is the basis of the 60s civil rights movement....derp
Dr Huge Pecs
Senior

Post#18 » by Dr Huge Pecs » Fri Oct 23, 2020 2:25 pm

cheese318 wrote:

Guess you don’t watch the games because nothing slipped on the court. Don’t let politics rule your life because it’s seems that’s why you have such harsh judgment for a group of individuals

please find the part where I said anything harsh about anyone other than management...quote it. also find something I said that has a political leaning...quote it. reading comprehension is plummetting in the US...

pathetic
Dr Huge Pecs
Senior

Post#19 » by Dr Huge Pecs » Fri Oct 23, 2020 2:38 pm

Flash Falcon X wrote:
Dr Huge Pecs wrote:
Lee in Oregon wrote:Yet here you are writing a response during the offseason that's longer than the article itself. The product is actually better than ever, and the bubble, in most people's opinion, was a success. If you don't want to watch, or maybe you have a problem with players speaking out (cause that's what it sounds like), just don't. Somehow the league will survive without you.

or just disregard it.

You speak as if people care about how much you’re losing interest in the NBA. :lol: :lol: :lol:

The world doesn’t revolve around you. You’re trying too hard to look unique and cognizant online but it comes off as whiny lmaoooo.

We’ll keep watching the game while you sit down here whining and complaining about it and trying to validate your feelings on RealGM.

But go ahead, keep crying more. Reply to this with some witty response about ratings and politics. It’ll just make you look even more desperate to stand out. :lol: :lol: :lol:

everyone is losing interest... that's the point. a great league went to crap in 5 years...it's newsworthy...worth commenting on...just cuz you like garbage doesn't mean I have to... it's a sports site. I like basketball...the NBA is going down the drain... you like it...yay! you like watching predictable sport-operas.

congratulations.

Return to Wiretap Discussion