NBA Targeting Dec. 22 Start, 72-Game Schedule With Finals Over By Olympics

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

NBA Targeting Dec. 22 Start, 72-Game Schedule With Finals Over By Olympics 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Fri Oct 23, 2020 6:39 pm

The NBA is targeting December 22nd for the start of the 20-21 season with a 72-game regular season that finishes before the 2021 Olympics begin on July 23rd.

Beginning the 20-21 season around Christmas Day would allow the league to return to a semi-normal schedule while potentially allowing stars to play in the Olympics. 

Via Shams Charania/The Athletic

Lockdown504090
RealGM
And1: 12,087

Re: NBA Targeting Dec. 22 Start, 72-Game Schedule With Finals Over By Olympics 

Post#2 » by Lockdown504090 » Fri Oct 23, 2020 10:11 pm

Injuries about to be insane with that quick turnaround
anatomicbomb
Sixth Man
And1: 1,208

Post#3 » by anatomicbomb » Fri Oct 23, 2020 10:43 pm

Lockdown504090 wrote:Injuries about to be insane with that quick turnaround

What's the over/under gonna be on Kawhi's games played? Like 43? Maybe he'll just play home games next year and not travel with the team.

With the number of players about to be missing time, they could just broadcast the D-League or load manage the whole season and skip to 2022 and achieve a similar result. :lol:

Spoiler:
Everything is practice.
TheCage4
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 518

Post#4 » by TheCage4 » Fri Oct 23, 2020 11:55 pm

Another asterisk season in my book. Enjoy debating the greatness of players when taking into consideration this past season and the one to come.
“And where once you had the freedom to object, to think and speak as you saw fit, you now have censors and systems of surveillance coercing your conformity and soliciting your submission.” -Alan Moore
Nites
Junior
And1: 376

Post#5 » by Nites » Sat Oct 24, 2020 12:02 am

Most teams haven't played since September, if not longer.

The Olympics and FIBA games are going to be an issue though.
the13thjoker
Sophomore
And1: 30

Post#6 » by the13thjoker » Sat Oct 24, 2020 12:13 am

anatomicbomb wrote:

What's the over/under gonna be on Kawhi's games played? Like 43? Maybe he'll just play home games next year and not travel with the team.

With the number of players about to be missing time, they could just broadcast the D-League or load manage the whole season and skip to 2022 and achieve a similar result. :lol:

Ty Lue isn't going to let Kawhi get away with it........ we hope lol
dautjazz
RealGM
And1: 9,560

Post#7 » by dautjazz » Sat Oct 24, 2020 12:47 am

TheCage4 wrote:Another asterisk season in my book. Enjoy debating the greatness of players when taking into consideration this past season and the one to come.

Oh stop it. Why is this past season an asterisk season? Who would of won the past title if we had crowds? Also why is removing 10 regular seasons games going to make an asterisk season? I think it makes sense, removing 10 games, plus a bubble (atleast for part of the season) will allow a more compressed schedule and will allow to have 2021-22 back on track to start sometime in October. Would you just prefer no 2020 and 2021 champions? Also, I suspect if your team won the title, you wouldn't be placing an asterisk on it.
NickAnderson wrote:
How old are you, just curious.

by gomeziee on 21 Jul 2013 00:53

im 20, and i did grow up watching MJ play in the 90's.
dautjazz
RealGM

Post#8 » by dautjazz » Sat Oct 24, 2020 12:56 am

What's so quick about it, it will have been some 70 days since the NBA finals, but teams that didn't make the finals are getting nearly a 3 month break. So lets say the Heat and Lakers who will have the shortest break, they only played 29 games in the bubble after a 4.5 month break, with no travel, and next season is going to start in a bubble again.

Leonard played 19 games in the bubble, and played in 5 weeks already, and we're still 2 months away from next season. He's always going to be a load management diva though, he load managed in the freaking bubble after the huge break.
NickAnderson wrote:

MitchB3
Starter
And1: 144

Post#9 » by MitchB3 » Sat Oct 24, 2020 2:47 am

TheCage4 wrote:Another asterisk season in my book. Enjoy debating the greatness of players when taking into consideration this past season and the one to come.

Ohhh. You're one of those jordan people I see.
MitchB3
Starter

Post#10 » by MitchB3 » Sat Oct 24, 2020 2:52 am

How so? There's only really TWO teams that had a longer season and that's the Lakers and Heat. They'll be fine.
MitchB3
Starter

Post#11 » by MitchB3 » Sat Oct 24, 2020 2:58 am

States such as NY and California are still on restrict lockdowns until (should Joesph R(acist) Biden win), past Nov. 3rd. Not to mention with the recent spike in cases we might be headed for another lockdown, so they should really towards the 3 or 4 states with lighter restrictions to hold the games. I don't think we'll see fans back in stadiums until 2022 at 25-50% and 2024 at 75-100%.
Dr Huge Pecs
Senior
And1: 79

Post#12 » by Dr Huge Pecs » Sat Oct 24, 2020 4:30 am

MitchB3 wrote:States such as NY and California are still on restrict lockdowns until (should Joesph R(acist) Biden win), past Nov. 3rd. Not to mention with the recent spike in cases we might be headed for another lockdown, so they should really towards the 3 or 4 states with lighter restrictions to hold the games. I don't think we'll see fans back in stadiums until 2022 at 25-50% and 2024 at 75-100%.

what happened to the importance of MLK day? oh $$$$ typical indecisive throw at the wall and see what sticks management that is driving the league deeper into the pit that it is already in.
alienpick
Starter
And1: 619

Post#13 » by alienpick » Sat Oct 24, 2020 6:16 am

You realize there has been multiple shortened seasons before right? Lockout seasons?
kobyz
Rookie
And1: 270

Post#14 » by kobyz » Sat Oct 24, 2020 7:16 am

It's not an asterisk if the rules are known to begin with, it's not like past season that the rules for the season were changed in the middle
gigantes
Starter
And1: 1,097

Post#15 » by gigantes » Sat Oct 24, 2020 7:49 am

dautjazz wrote:

Oh stop it. Why is this past season an asterisk season? Who would of won the past title if we had crowds? Also why is removing 10 regular seasons games going to make an asterisk season? I think it makes sense, removing 10 games, plus a bubble (atleast for part of the season) will allow a more compressed schedule and will allow to have 2021-22 back on track to start sometime in October. Would you just prefer no 2020 and 2021 champions? Also, I suspect if your team won the title, you wouldn't be placing an asterisk on it.

I think this past season is certainly an asterisk season, but in a different way.

2020 has been a perfect hellhole of a year, and getting past the huge distractions of CV19, police violence, various red hat madness, and the Bubble, merits special recognition IMO.

LeBron & Jimmy and their teams managed to focus past all that and produce great basketball for us watchers when we very much needed it. They damn well earned their asterisk while other contenders found ways to come unglued and disappoint their fans. All hail.

Only thing I'm sad about is Phoenix not making the dance. Oh well.
dautjazz
RealGM

Post#16 » by dautjazz » Sat Oct 24, 2020 4:43 pm

gigantes wrote:
dautjazz wrote:

I think this past season is certainly an asterisk season, but in a different way.

2020 has been a perfect hellhole of a year, and getting past the huge distractions of CV19, police violence, various red hat madness, and the Bubble, merits special recognition IMO.

LeBron & Jimmy and their teams managed to focus past all that and produce great basketball for us watchers when we very much needed it. They damn well earned their asterisk while other contenders found ways to come unglued and disappoint their fans. All hail.

Didn't Lebron disappoint last season not getting LA to the playoffs, GS by not winning the title, Bucks by not getting past the 2nd round, Rockets falling short again, etc.. I would say that this year ended up going more to expectations than last year with the Lakers winning vs last year the Raptors winning.

Distractions happen, in 2004 Kobe was in court during the Finals, and his mind wasn't there, it happens,but this season everyone was dealing with the same circumstances, and honestly you guys are making too big a deal about it. Oh so there is no homecourt or crowd, if anything it shows who is plainly the best team without the influence of a crowd. The bubble thing I suppose can be a little mentally challenging for these divas, but in reality they were going to be able to go out and do less outside a bubble, plus the travel would make them tired.
NickAnderson wrote:

gigantes
Starter
And1: 1,097

Post#17 » by gigantes » Sat Oct 24, 2020 5:57 pm

dautjazz wrote:
gigantes wrote:
dautjazz wrote:Oh stop it. Why is this past season an asterisk season? Who would of won the past title if we had crowds? Also why is removing 10 regular seasons games going to make an asterisk season? I think it makes sense, removing 10 games, plus a bubble (atleast for part of the season) will allow a more compressed schedule and will allow to have 2021-22 back on track to start sometime in October. Would you just prefer no 2020 and 2021 champions? Also, I suspect if your team won the title, you wouldn't be placing an asterisk on it.

Didn't Lebron disappoint last season not getting LA to the playoffs, GS by not winning the title, Bucks by not getting past the 2nd round, Rockets falling short again, etc.. I would say that this year ended up going more to expectations than last year with the Lakers winning vs last year the Raptors winning.

Distractions happen, in 2004 Kobe was in court during the Finals, and his mind wasn't there, it happens,but this season everyone was dealing with the same circumstances, and honestly you guys are making too big a deal about it. Oh so there is no homecourt or crowd, if anything it shows who is plainly the best team without the influence of a crowd. The bubble thing I suppose can be a little mentally challenging for these divas, but in reality they were going to be able to go out and do less outside a bubble, plus the travel would make them tired.

No, LeBron certainly didn't disappoint last season. It was a train wreck of a roster, and he got injured for the stretch run. How is that on him? (don't bother answering; I don't care about whatever nonsense comes next)

I'm not sure what you're trying to argue about, in general. It looks sort of like a long stream of random thoughts devoted to... someone? Some group of people?

The reason I replied in the first place is because I was agreeing with you that this past season wasn't an asterisk in terms of a negative connotation. I thought I was being pretty clear about that, but who knows.

Have a good day.

Return to Wiretap Discussion