Re: Jeff Van Gundy's Houston Candidacy Likely Lacked Support From Harden, Westbrook

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

Jeff Van Gundy's Houston Candidacy Likely Lacked Support From Harden, Westbrook 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Thu Oct 29, 2020 6:01 pm

Jeff Van Gundy was one of three finalists for the Houston Rockets' head coaching job after long being considered the favorite. But the Rockets ultimately decided to hire Stephen Silas for the job and the reason could have pivoted on Houston's stars not supporting Van Gundy's candidacy to the degree that would have made all parties comfortable. 

"Van Gundy, I don't know if there was a lot of buy in or any buy in from James Harden or Russell Westbrook," said Tim MacMahon on the Brian Windhorst podcast. "And I don't know if Jeff Van Gundy necessarily wanted to, you know, have to beg to coach guys. And so I think personality wise, that might not have been a match."

"[Tim] Bontemps, he's being very artful in his language right now," interjected Windhorst. "Pay attention to what he's saying."

"I get it. I give the man credit for tap dancing around," said Bontemps.

"He's doing a good job. Is this mic on? I thought we were on mute. Go ahead, MacMahon," said Windhorst.

"We could just say Van Gundy was considered the lead candidate all season long, I think that the most important decision maker for the Rockets wasn't quite so sure about that one," added MacMahon.

Van Gundy is a longtime analyst for ESPN and ABC and will remain in the role.

Via Tim MacMahon/ESPN

slay25
Sophomore
And1: 59

Re: Jeff Van Gundy's Houston Candidacy Likely Lacked Support From Harden, Westbrook 

Post#2 » by slay25 » Thu Oct 29, 2020 6:15 pm

maybe its cuz he constantly and rightly craps on harden's incessant flopping. i doubt he even wanted the job that bad. he is obviously one of the best basketball minds there is and has the most cushy job possible at the moment.
niha17
Rookie
And1: 68

Post#3 » by niha17 » Thu Oct 29, 2020 8:48 pm

van gundy can get the rockets job after the new coach gets fired. it only makes van gundy more appealing and valuable more value = more dollars. brilliant move on his part show interest but not to much so when they really calling for you after they suck for another year you can write any amout you want on that check
IAMZOOTED2
Analyst
And1: 2,414

Post#4 » by IAMZOOTED2 » Thu Oct 29, 2020 8:52 pm

C’mon really. How many more good years does Harden and/or Westbrook have?? If they prefer Silas’ son - who has coached for 20-plus years — over a known quantity and basketball savant workaholic like JVG, then So be it. Rockets will be doing sweet ef all come playoff time anyway
A single sharp pepper is better than a basketful of gourds.
Elnegron
Rookie
And1: 370

Post#5 » by Elnegron » Thu Oct 29, 2020 9:14 pm

This 2 guys are a bunch of losers. I am glad okc or pat whoever it was turned down westbrick to miami trade
Bk68
Sophomore
And1: 10

Post#6 » by Bk68 » Fri Oct 30, 2020 2:52 am

Elnegron wrote:This 2 guys are a bunch of losers. I am glad okc or pat whoever it was turned down westbrick to miami trade

Well said. Well spoken
Future Coach
Assistant Coach
And1: 468

Post#7 » by Future Coach » Fri Oct 30, 2020 5:20 am

slay25 wrote:maybe its cuz he constantly and rightly craps on harden's incessant flopping. i doubt he even wanted the job that bad. he is obviously one of the best basketball minds there is and has the most cushy job possible at the moment.

The Van Gundy's are not known for hiding their feelings.

I do think he would absolutely love to coach Westbrook, but having Harden continually hold the ball and dribble out the clock like he does is frustrating enough to watch, let alone to coach - especially for a coach who has preached quick ball movement.

JVG has an affection for the Houston fan base, and that is maybe the reason he wanted the job most of all
NoStatsGuy
Analyst
And1: 1,364

Post#8 » by NoStatsGuy » Fri Oct 30, 2020 9:59 am

JVG you know where your place is. dont even try going anywhere else. you cant run from your destiny
im bout dat action boss
Chi Dynasty12
Analyst
And1: 140

Post#9 » by Chi Dynasty12 » Fri Oct 30, 2020 1:36 pm

Well he’s annoying as heII on TV so I don’t blame them..
Chicago Bears 2025 Super Bowl Champions
Tamimi
Junior
And1: 30

Post#10 » by Tamimi » Fri Oct 30, 2020 1:47 pm

It shows you that those two players aren't willing to change. Good, let me see them get to the WCF.

Return to Wiretap Discussion