LaMelo Ball Reportedly 'Not Performing Very Well' During Interviews

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

LaMelo Ball Reportedly 'Not Performing Very Well' During Interviews 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Fri Oct 30, 2020 5:05 am

Lamelo Ball is reportedly struggling during his pre-draft interviews, sources told Rick Bonnell of The Charlotte Observer.

"Here is what I’m hearing from the league at large: LaMelo Ball is not performing very well at job interviews. I’ve heard that from multiple sources. He is not improving his perception via job interview. 

"There are people drafting later in the top ten who were not preparing for the possibility of Ball still being around ... there are teams later in the top ten who are doing more research on him," said Bonnell on Sports Radio WFNZ (h/t Pro Basketball Talk).

Ball met with the Wolves on Tuesday, and will interview with the Warriors next week. 

Via Sports Radio WFNZ

LaRance
Bench Warmer
And1: 104

Re: LaMelo Ball Reportedly 'Not Performing Very Well' During Interviews 

Post#2 » by LaRance » Fri Oct 30, 2020 7:25 am

It's all an act. Lamelo just doesn't want to play for the wolves. He's trying to play with Golden State
Topofthekey
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,883

Post#3 » by Topofthekey » Fri Oct 30, 2020 8:10 am

LaRance wrote:It's all an act. Lamelo just doesn't want to play for the wolves. He's trying to play with Golden State

There's about a $10m difference between the contracts of the #1 pick and the #2 pick
spree2kawhi
RealGM
And1: 3,821

Post#4 » by spree2kawhi » Fri Oct 30, 2020 9:36 am

The trunk, the apple... what did you expect? Now add that he can't shoot, defend or leap and you're welcome to reality.
NatiboyB
Rookie
And1: 389

Post#5 » by NatiboyB » Fri Oct 30, 2020 10:05 am

Topofthekey wrote:
LaRance wrote:It's all an act. Lamelo just doesn't want to play for the wolves. He's trying to play with Golden State

There's about a $10m difference between the contracts of the #1 pick and the #2 pick

Yes but I think he may also be factoring in potential endorsements, winning culture, location, or the fact the warriors will trade him to where he wants to play as opposed to him being stuck in Minny.

I think he may just suck at interviews and telling the team what they want to hear. Which in all honesty long term won’t matter much if he can produce on the court.
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 15,748

Post#6 » by dougthonus » Fri Oct 30, 2020 11:49 am

Possibility 1:
LaMelo Ball wants to give up millions of dollars to avoid Minnesota and end up who knows where and playing some chess instead of checkers here.

Possibility 2:
LaMelo Ball is not good at interviews because of nerves / personality / whatever but it won't really matter on the court.

Possibility 3:
LaMelo Ball absolutely has his head up his ass and is bad at interviews because he reveals things which are genuine concerns through the process.

Of these scenarios, scenario #1 seems the least likely to me. He's already signed his shoe deal with Puma, I don't think he's got some master plan to make it up in endorsements. Golden State is unlikely to want him based on their roster construction so if they took him he'd get traded to an unknown destination anyway so wouldn't end up on that great team. Minnesota was always unlikely to take him.

When the season started, I think he was #4 on the initial mock draft board. He wasn't very impressive in his one year in the NBDL. There's really no reason to think he needs to purposefully tank his draft position. I currently have him at #6 on my board.
http://linktr.ee/bullsbeat - links to the bullsbeat podcast
@doug_thonus on twitter
MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 36,850

Post#7 » by MrDollarBills » Fri Oct 30, 2020 12:40 pm

If you're drawing red flags during sit down interviews that's a really bad sign.
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,721

Post#8 » by the_process » Fri Oct 30, 2020 1:24 pm

This could very easily be the Bulls or Knicks just trying to get him to fall to them.
dubbmotta
Senior
And1: 103

Post#9 » by dubbmotta » Fri Oct 30, 2020 1:51 pm

I would tank in my interview with teams like the Timberwolves, Hornets, etc. not winning cultures or desirable cities to live in..
Huey Freeman
General Manager
And1: 878

Post#10 » by Huey Freeman » Fri Oct 30, 2020 2:42 pm

3 Reasons why he's "not performing very well" during interviews?
1) he's young
2) he has absolutely NO personality (actually, none of the Ball sons do...Lavar couldn't pass down that trait)
3) he's bored and knows even in the worst scenario he isn't falling past #4 pick. All of this stuff would be/is boring to most privileged teenagers.
Revolution starts in the mind...
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls

Post#11 » by dougthonus » Fri Oct 30, 2020 3:04 pm

dubbmotta wrote:I would tank in my interview with teams like the Timberwolves, Hornets, etc. not winning cultures or desirable cities to live in..

He gives up this much money by falling in the draft:
#2: 5M
#3: 9M
#4: 13M
#5: 16M
#6: 19M
#7: 21M

I'd go for the most money I could get. I doubt the Timberwolves would take him after trading for Russell and I doubt the Warriors would keep him if they took him at #2, so who knows where he ends up if he goes there.
@doug_thonus on twitter
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls

Post#12 » by dougthonus » Fri Oct 30, 2020 3:09 pm

Huey Freeman wrote:3 Reasons why he's "not performing very well" during interviews?
1) he's young
2) he has absolutely NO personality (actually, none of the Ball sons do...Lavar couldn't pass down that trait)
3) he's bored and knows even in the worst scenario he isn't falling past #4 pick. All of this stuff would be/is boring to most privileged teenagers.

1: So is everyone else doing the interviews, and so is everyone else who does them every year, he's being compared to people of similar age, and he's actually been far more worldly and traveled to far more places, his experience should give him a big advantage here.

2: I don't think that's really a negative. I'm sure people like engaging personalities, but I don't think that's what they're talking about when they think someone does bad in an interview. I don't think boring is a problem. Lack of engagement / commitment are probably what people are talking about (but I could be wrong)

#3: That attitude should be viewed as a huge red flag if he actually thinks that way. I wouldn't make that assumption though. I'd think he'd be very invested in where he's going to spend the next four years and learning about it.

The real question is he bad because he's an introvert / bad speaker / not good under pressure in this way or bad because he doesn't care, is elitist, doesn't see the value. If it's the 1st of those things its not really a concern (or a big one) though it might limit his ability as a future leader. If its the second of those things that's probably a pretty big concern.
@doug_thonus on twitter
Huey Freeman
General Manager
And1: 878

Post#13 » by Huey Freeman » Fri Oct 30, 2020 3:13 pm

dougthonus wrote:
Huey Freeman wrote:3 Reasons why he's "not performing very well" during interviews?
1) he's young

1: So is everyone else doing the interviews, and so is everyone else who does them every year, he's being compared to people of similar age, and he's actually been far more worldly and traveled to far more places, his experience should give him a big advantage here.

2: I don't think that's really a negative. I'm sure people like engaging personalities, but I don't think that's what they're talking about when they think someone does bad in an interview. I don't think boring is a problem. Lack of engagement / commitment are probably what people are talking about (but I could be wrong)

#3: That attitude should be viewed as a huge red flag if he actually thinks that way. I wouldn't make that assumption though. I'd think he'd be very invested in where he's going to spend the next four years and learning about it.

The real question is he bad because he's an introvert / bad speaker / not good under pressure in this way or bad because he doesn't care, is elitist, doesn't see the value. If it's the 1st of those things its not really a concern (or a big one) though it might limit his ability as a future leader. If its the second of those things that's probably a pretty big concern.

Dougthonus...
That was just me being a typical judgmental older dude. :D
Revolution starts in the mind...
Tim_W
Freshman
And1: 9

Post#14 » by Tim_W » Fri Oct 30, 2020 5:21 pm

I’ve got to say, I don’t understand the hype behind Ball and why he’s so popular. He’s definitely got great passing ability, but his defense is BEYOND bad (apparently he played the worst pick and roll defense in the entire NBL last year!!), his shooting selection isn’t much better and his shot doesn’t look good in the least. It amazes me that LeVar Ball basically anointed his kids as NBA stars from an early age but none of them seemed to learn how to shoot.
ecuhus1981
RealGM
And1: 1,427

Post#15 » by ecuhus1981 » Fri Oct 30, 2020 5:23 pm

GM's ears are matching their eyes, this dude could get a front office fired for taking him in the top 3.

I'm not hating on Lamelo. I'm a Kidd fan, so less athletic dudes with amazing court vision and no J... that's kinda my jam.

It's also not about his family to me, good or bad. He's just not a home run prospect in my opinion. He's quick in changing directions with a slick handle, but not fast overall. He's tall for the PG spot, but not especially long or strong. He struggles to dunk in the open court. His defense is a myth. He doesn't make his teammates better, the hallmark of a floor general. He seems to revel in taking tough shots, but he's not good at making them. It's not that he's bad at getting to his spots, he didn't have a spot where he's a good shooter.

The expectations of being a top pick even in a bad year are major, and he's the type of ball hog that could really even worse with the license of a #1 overall draft selection.

I think that Atlanta at #6 is his backstop, and would make a good long-term destination for him if he committed to defense. But veterans are not going to enjoy playing with him, as he hotdogs every possession for 21 seconds on the perimeter before heaving up a contested 27-foot brick.
Some people really have a way with words. Other people... not... have... way.
-- Steve Martin
IWishIWasHarden
Sixth Man
And1: 159

Post#16 » by IWishIWasHarden » Fri Oct 30, 2020 7:58 pm

Let me guess: He's a younger version of his father.
TimeisIllmatic
Sixth Man
And1: 319

Post#17 » by TimeisIllmatic » Fri Oct 30, 2020 10:28 pm

the_process wrote:This could very easily be the Bulls or Knicks just trying to get him to fall to them.

bingo
Def Leppard
Analyst
And1: 2,218

Post#18 » by Def Leppard » Fri Oct 30, 2020 11:06 pm

Shocker?

Barly met her!

Sent from my BBE100-5 using RealGM mobile app
"Rise up, gather round, rock this place, to the ground"
dubbmotta
Senior
And1: 103

Post#19 » by dubbmotta » Fri Oct 30, 2020 11:17 pm

dougthonus wrote:
dubbmotta wrote:I would tank in my interview with teams like the Timberwolves, Hornets, etc. not winning cultures or desirable cities to live in..

He gives up this much money by falling in the draft:
#2: 5M
#3: 9M
#4: 13M
#5: 16M
#6: 19M
#7: 21M

I'd go for the most money I could get. I doubt the Timberwolves would take him after trading for Russell and I doubt the Warriors would keep him if they took him at #2, so who knows where he ends up if he goes there.

Would make more money if he went to a bigger city like NY or Chicago..better endorsements...way more money..you playing checkers think chess my guy...I think this is a smile screen Chicago or NY putting out there...
Weth3champs
Ballboy
And1: 13

Post#20 » by Weth3champs » Sat Oct 31, 2020 11:00 am

This is what the Ball brothers do...we remember Lonzo had told the Celtics he wont work out for them and Lamelo just went to a workout for a team he didnt want to be on and didnt show up. If im the Timberwolves...I draft him anyway and force the BIG BALLER BRAND movement to happen in their city.

Return to Wiretap Discussion