Knicks 'Dying' To Select Obi Toppin

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

Knicks 'Dying' To Select Obi Toppin 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Mon Nov 9, 2020 10:39 pm

Obi Toppin is considered unlikely to fall beyond the New York Knicks at No. 8.

"I think eight is definitely the lowest he goes," said Jonathan Givony on The Lowe Post. "The guy who recruited him all year who signed him, you know, is running the team that has the number eight pick. I think from all understanding, he's dying to get Obi Toppin. There's nobody that he trusts more in this draft. We're talking about Leon Rose and the Knicks.

"I can't see any scenario that Toppin goes below eight. I think honestly he's going four or five. I really don't think he's going very far. He was the best player in college basketball. They were a number one seed. He fits the modern NBA offensively really, really well."

Toppin is widely considered one of the most NBA ready players in the draft with his skill-set on offense, though there are some concerns about his defense.

Via Jonathan Givony/ESPN

jamesnamida
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,048

Re: Knicks 'Dying' To Select Obi Toppin 

Post#2 » by jamesnamida » Tue Nov 10, 2020 5:17 am

Moar forwards!!!
objectivefan
Junior
And1: 66

Post#3 » by objectivefan » Tue Nov 10, 2020 4:44 pm

How does this stuff get out

wouldn't the Knicks want to keep this internal so that other teams can't use this information against them? unless it is a smokescreen to distract from their real intentions?
Wolf of Ball St
Junior
And1: 519

Post#4 » by Wolf of Ball St » Tue Nov 10, 2020 5:50 pm

So we can add to the 9 power forwards we have?! :banghead:
IliketheBullsNBearstoo
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,073

Post#5 » by IliketheBullsNBearstoo » Tue Nov 10, 2020 6:31 pm

Smoke screen
elchengue20
Sixth Man
And1: 1,500

Post#6 » by elchengue20 » Tue Nov 10, 2020 6:40 pm

He fits well next to Mitchell.

Sign Van Vleet in FA,make Randle the 6th man,suddendly you have a young squad who can make the Playoffs and with a lot of room to grow.
_BALLDONTLIE
Sophomore
And1: 162

Post#7 » by _BALLDONTLIE » Tue Nov 10, 2020 8:00 pm

objectivefan wrote:How does this stuff get out

wouldn't the Knicks want to keep this internal so that other teams can't use this information against them? unless it is a smokescreen to distract from their real intentions?

It's just Givony talking on a podcast and he based it on CAA trying to sign Toppin before Leon Rose got the Knicks job. Not saying it's false but it didn't get leaked nor confirmed by anyone within the organization, just an outsider's "educated" guess.
Dewey
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,020

Post#8 » by Dewey » Tue Nov 10, 2020 8:04 pm

Posting that title significantly lowered the sites credibility
Flip response to Love wanting out, "He has no reason to be upset, you're either a part of the problem or a part of the solution"
spree2kawhi
RealGM
And1: 3,835

Post#9 » by spree2kawhi » Tue Nov 10, 2020 8:30 pm

It didn't get out. You should read again. Everything was said about the Knicks.
BostonCouchGM
Head Coach
And1: 4,857

Post#10 » by BostonCouchGM » Tue Nov 10, 2020 9:01 pm

of course they are. They should force this team to be sold it's so poorly run. Anyone that looks at Obi Toppin as one of the best 25 players in this draft shouldn't have a job in an NBA front office.
Cassius
RealGM
And1: 3,963

Post#11 » by Cassius » Tue Nov 10, 2020 9:58 pm

elchengue20 wrote:He fits well next to Mitchell.

Sign Van Vleet in FA,make Randle the 6th man,suddendly you have a young squad who can make the Playoffs and with a lot of room to grow.

So

Fred Van Vleet
RJ Barrett
Kevin Knox?
Toppin/Randle
Mitchell

They're not making the playoffs in the East, not even close. The Atlantic will send four again, the Bucks and Pacers will be back, Miami makes seven. That Knicks lineup isn't topping the Wizards with Wall back or the Hawks with Collins off PEDs. Depending on free agency, they may top the Magic, but even then the Bulls should improve a lot with Billy Donovan, too.
I_Like_Dirt wrote:The whole comparison to Kevin McHale is ridiculously close, imo... And that's without more hilarious aspects of the comparison, e.g. if Wally Sczerbiak were 7 feet tall with the slower reflexes that came with the additional height, he'd be Bargnani.
Sinistar6
Starter
And1: 125

Post#12 » by Sinistar6 » Tue Nov 10, 2020 10:56 pm

BostonCouchGM wrote:of course they are. They should force this team to be sold it's so poorly run. Anyone that looks at Obi Toppin as one of the best 25 players in this draft shouldn't have a job in an NBA front office.

I like your gumption and authority but your wrong brother. Top 25, he could be the best player in this class if they all bust.
Next time the cult's spaceship lands we'll all be wearing black Starburys.

-mcwelk
Clyde Frazier
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 25,322

Post#13 » by Clyde Frazier » Wed Nov 11, 2020 12:51 am

Not really what was said. Rose recruited him as an agent before taking over the Knicks so all givony is really doing is assuming he'd be very interested in drafting him. Don't think he has an inside source. It's pure speculation.

I hope they don't pick him tho. He projects to be a pretty poor defender.
elchengue20
Sixth Man

Post#14 » by elchengue20 » Wed Nov 11, 2020 6:56 am

Cassius wrote:
elchengue20 wrote:He fits well next to Mitchell.

So

Fred Van Vleet
RJ Barrett
Kevin Knox?
Toppin/Randle
Mitchell

They're not making the playoffs in the East, not even close. The Atlantic will send four again, the Bucks and Pacers will be back, Miami makes seven. That Knicks lineup isn't topping the Wizards with Wall back or the Hawks with Collins off PEDs. Depending on free agency, they may top the Magic, but even then the Bulls should improve a lot with Billy Donovan, too.

They should sing an 3+D veteran at SF with the MLE or something like that.

But yeah maybe making the Playoffs this year is too optimistic.

But if they get Van Vleet and a couple of decent veteran role players they are going to be competitive and it will boost the internal gowth( RJ, Mitchell, Toppin and maybe Nkitilina/Knox) wich is the key to change the franchise path, big time players dont want to play there until they star winnig some games.
Cassius
RealGM
And1: 3,963

Post#15 » by Cassius » Wed Nov 11, 2020 3:25 pm

elchengue20 wrote:big time players dont want to play there until they star winnig some games.

I think the issue is purely Dolan. I think a lot of players would love to be the reason for the resurgence, but not if Dolan is there to screw everything up.
I_Like_Dirt wrote:The whole comparison to Kevin McHale is ridiculously close, imo... And that's without more hilarious aspects of the comparison, e.g. if Wally Sczerbiak were 7 feet tall with the slower reflexes that came with the additional height, he'd be Bargnani.
elchengue20
Sixth Man

Post#16 » by elchengue20 » Wed Nov 11, 2020 7:33 pm

Cassius wrote:
elchengue20 wrote:big time players dont want to play there until they star winnig some games.

I think the issue is purely Dolan. I think a lot of players would love to be the reason for the resurgence, but not if Dolan is there to screw everything up.

Winning heals everything, if suddendly they are a competetive team with good young up and coming prospects, it will be a whole different situation. Also they have a new FO, so in that scenario, at least they would be able to sell star players a change of culture.

Right now they just are a loosing team who has won less than 40 games in the last SEVEN seasons.And in that stretch they weren't capable of drafting/developing young talent(only Porgzingis and they trade him away).Of course players don't want to play there.

They won't until they start to build something.

Return to Wiretap Discussion