Suns In Trade Talks With Thunder On Chris Paul

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

Suns In Trade Talks With Thunder On Chris Paul 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Wed Nov 11, 2020 1:58 am

The Phoenix Suns are holding discussions with the Oklahoma City Thunder on a trade for Chris Paul.

While talks have been ongoing and gained momentum, no deal is imminent.

The NBA is currently under a transaction moratorium that will be lifted shortly before next week's draft.

Via Brian Windhorst, Tim Bontemps/ESPN

lonea
Rookie
And1: 527

Re: Suns In Trade Talks With Thunder On Chris Paul 

Post#2 » by lonea » Wed Nov 11, 2020 2:27 am

what is going on ?!?!?!
Pabzingis
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#3 » by Pabzingis » Wed Nov 11, 2020 2:52 am

Is this to keep Devin Booker happy? Can’t imagine that’ll work.
Cassius
RealGM
And1: 3,963

Post#4 » by Cassius » Wed Nov 11, 2020 3:35 am

Rubio and Oubre gets the job done, and actually fits what OKC needs (besides shooting). I think CP and Book would get along well, it's Ayton who'd have to smarten up and be efficient with his opportunities that might upset the apple cart.
I_Like_Dirt wrote:The whole comparison to Kevin McHale is ridiculously close, imo... And that's without more hilarious aspects of the comparison, e.g. if Wally Sczerbiak were 7 feet tall with the slower reflexes that came with the additional height, he'd be Bargnani.
WestbrookGOATed
Veteran
And1: 2,382

Post#5 » by WestbrookGOATed » Wed Nov 11, 2020 3:38 am

Cassius wrote:Rubio and Oubre gets the job done, and actually fits what OKC needs (besides shooting). I think CP and Book would get along well, it's Ayton who'd have to smarten up and be efficient with his opportunities that might upset the apple cart.
Rubio and Oubre? OKC could get a better deal than that.
Elnegron
Rookie
And1: 366

Post#6 » by Elnegron » Wed Nov 11, 2020 4:12 am

Best2EverDoIt wrote:
Cassius wrote:Rubio and Oubre gets the job done, and actually fits what OKC needs (besides shooting). I think CP and Book would get along well, it's Ayton who'd have to smarten up and be efficient with his opportunities that might upset the apple cart.
no they wont. Cp3 is old and have 2 bad years and only getting bad contracts back will get the job done
WestbrookGOATed
Veteran

Post#7 » by WestbrookGOATed » Wed Nov 11, 2020 5:40 am

Elnegron wrote:
Best2EverDoIt wrote:
no they wont. Cp3 is old and have 2 bad years and only getting bad contracts back will get the job done
You're not seeing the big picture. They don't have to trade him. He's coming off of an all star season where he just led them to the 5th seed and the playoffs. He missed 1 game due to the death of Kobe. You act like he's washed up and not good anymore. The Thunder could keep him and go on another playoff run, although I don't think that's what they'll do. They definitely aren't gonna trade him for bad contracts for the hell of it. Rubio wouldn't fit in OKC at all.
Psubs
RealGM
And1: 10,633

Post#8 » by Psubs » Wed Nov 11, 2020 6:25 am

Best2EverDoIt wrote:

Rubio, Oubre and #10 for CP and #25 makes sense.
cheese318
Sixth Man
And1: 227

Post#9 » by cheese318 » Wed Nov 11, 2020 7:12 am

Elnegron wrote:
Best2EverDoIt wrote:

Suns have a room under the cap I believe. I doubt OKC wants to take on Rubio for next two years or else they would just keep CP3 because that’s how much Oubre/Rubio cost per season basically so are they truly saving money especially if they play to resign Oubre after this year. Oubre, Bridges & #10 for cp3, Ferguson & OKC FRP
Hoopzilla wrote:
Whether I was born or not when the Orlando Magic tried to form a Super Team means absolutely nothing to this conversation. One thing is pretty clear, you are the load your mother should have swallowed and moved on with her life... :nod:
Merc_Porto
General Manager
And1: 3,529

Post#10 » by Merc_Porto » Wed Nov 11, 2020 7:20 am

Delete
WestbrookGOATed
Veteran

Post#11 » by WestbrookGOATed » Wed Nov 11, 2020 8:24 am

Psubs wrote:
Best2EverDoIt wrote:

That I agree with. The other guy didn't mention anything about picks. That would be a decent trade for both teams. Although I don't like Rubio's fit with the Thunder, they would just end up flipping him anyway.
The_Hater
GHOAT (Greatest Hater Of All Time)
And1: 40,048

Post#12 » by The_Hater » Wed Nov 11, 2020 10:11 am

Psubs wrote:
Best2EverDoIt wrote:

I look at that and think the pick swap is an unnecessary overpay, then I look at the 2 GM’s who are making the deal and just nod my head.
AthensBucks wrote:Lowry is done.
Nurse is below average at best.
Masai is overrated.
I dont get how so many people believe in the raptors,they have zero to chance to win it all.

April 14th, 2019.
the13thjoker
Sophomore
And1: 30

Post#13 » by the13thjoker » Wed Nov 11, 2020 12:14 pm

Elnegron wrote:
Best2EverDoIt wrote:

CP3 brought out the best in a young OKC team and I think Suns want to replicate that to show Booker that sticking around is worth it.
dzumaal
Junior
And1: 324

Post#14 » by dzumaal » Wed Nov 11, 2020 2:56 pm

Just plain weird.

Suns would be a little better for one year. They were great in the bubble with Rubio. Why would you want to change that.

I think CP3 is still going to be good this season but honestly the 21-22 season Suns would be on the treadmill again. In the summer of '22 he would expire and Suns would have cap space but they also would be extending Ayton. Sarver is there so they wouldn't just sign a FA before extending Ayton and going into luxury.

If the goal is simply making Suns a little better for one year then this makes sense.. Other than that it just doesn't.

Suns should just remain flexible until the '21 offseason. Even though they aren't one of the marquee FA destinations, I still think that's the best way to go considering Booker is going to be in his prime and Ayton just about to enter it.
dubbmotta
Senior
And1: 103

Post#15 » by dubbmotta » Wed Nov 11, 2020 3:43 pm

I doubt the Suns part with Oubre...Suns have cap Room to take on CP salary. Maybe Rubio, Bridges and a draft pick.
Cassius
RealGM

Post#16 » by Cassius » Wed Nov 11, 2020 3:49 pm

dubbmotta wrote:

I doubt the Suns part with Oubre...Suns have cap Room to take on CP salary. Maybe Rubio, Bridges and a draft pick.

There's no way they part with Bridges for a player CP's age. I think that what people forget about CP3 is that he always breaks down. The only reason why he didn't break down this year is because he had three months off during quarantine to heal up.
I_Like_Dirt wrote:The whole comparison to Kevin McHale is ridiculously close, imo... And that's without more hilarious aspects of the comparison, e.g. if Wally Sczerbiak were 7 feet tall with the slower reflexes that came with the additional height, he'd be Bargnani.
dubbmotta
Senior
And1: 103

Post#17 » by dubbmotta » Wed Nov 11, 2020 5:07 pm

Cassius wrote:
dubbmotta wrote:

There's no way they part with Bridges for a player CP's age. I think that what people forget about CP3 is that he always breaks down. The only reason why he didn't break down this year is because he had three months off during quarantine to heal up.

I think you have your hopes too high for Bridges..he's not that good on the Suns..ok player but he won't take the Suns to the next level..Oubre a better fit at SF for them..
Cassius
RealGM

Post#18 » by Cassius » Wed Nov 11, 2020 5:09 pm

dubbmotta wrote:
Cassius wrote:
dubbmotta wrote:

I think you have your hopes too high for Bridges..he's not that good on the Suns..ok player but he won't take the Suns to the next level..Oubre a better fit at SF for them..

I wouldn't say that. As a Raptors fan, it would have been easy to think OG Anunoby had a low ceiling after his second year, then he came out this season and improved every single aspect of his game.
jason bourne
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,602

Post#19 » by jason bourne » Wed Nov 11, 2020 5:12 pm

This is crazy for the Suns as CP3's contract to ridiculous. They already have Rubio who is five years younger. They should trade for a younger PG like LaMelo Ball.
“The most contrarian thing of all is not to oppose the crowd but to think for yourself.” Peter Thiel

ImageImage
delsol650
Sixth Man
And1: 61

Post#20 » by delsol650 » Wed Nov 11, 2020 5:27 pm

Lmao, you're talking about taking on a 35 yr old with a contract of 41 and 44mil? Who's not even a top 10 in the nba :noway: you also have some hear suggesting trading Rubio, Oubre, Bridges plus a Top 10 pick for CP3, wow. He is not Lebron, Kawhi, Steph, AD that is worth what they are and impacts to their teams. Plus those guys have CHAMPIONSHIPS, are in the TOP 10 of the current NBA.

At best that gets you is 5th/6th round maybe and exit on the playoffs while hamstrung for 44mil the year after with another year older Paul plus ever-looming next hammy injury or something.

Best for Suns, to see how they're young team meshes this year, along with their top 10 pick, see if there are other struggling teams willing to move one of their veterans, young star, or disgruntled up and an up coming player is being shopped, use their assets to try and get the young star to team them up with Booker, Ayton along with their contributing players.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/contracts/PHO.html

Return to Wiretap Discussion