Fred VanVleet Agrees To Re-Sign With Raptors On Four-Year, $85 Million Deal

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

Fred VanVleet Agrees To Re-Sign With Raptors On Four-Year, $85 Million Deal 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Sat Nov 21, 2020 5:36 pm

Fred VanVleet has agreed to re-sign with the Toronto Raptors on a four-year, $85 million deal.

VanVleet will have a player option for the fourth year.

VanVleet averaged 17.6 points and 6.6 assists last season.

Via Shams Charania/The Athletic

Swingman15
Ballboy
And1: 0

Re: Fred VanVleet Agrees To Re-Sign With Raptors On Four-Year, $85 Million Deal 

Post#2 » by Swingman15 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 6:14 pm

Baby girl
You know my situation
And sometimes I know you get impatient
But you don't put to on a show to get ovations
Take it to court and go through litigation's
And I respect ya gangsta
Treat you like a princess
And put some' on your neck to thank ya
LaRance
Bench Warmer
And1: 104

Post#3 » by LaRance » Sat Nov 21, 2020 7:02 pm

:D Great Job Raptors! keep the core pieces together
Cassius
RealGM
And1: 3,963

Post#4 » by Cassius » Sat Nov 21, 2020 7:08 pm

Swingman15 wrote:Baby girl
You know my situation
And I respect ya gangsta

BRUH

:rockon: :rockon: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
I_Like_Dirt wrote:The whole comparison to Kevin McHale is ridiculously close, imo... And that's without more hilarious aspects of the comparison, e.g. if Wally Sczerbiak were 7 feet tall with the slower reflexes that came with the additional height, he'd be Bargnani.
luss54321
Starter
And1: 297

Post#5 » by luss54321 » Sat Nov 21, 2020 7:29 pm

1 good season is sometimes all it takes to get paid in the NBA. You just have to get the timing right.
PerfectJab
Veteran
And1: 1,357

Post#6 » by PerfectJab » Sat Nov 21, 2020 8:01 pm

This is actually a pretty reasonable deal for both sides, well done!
anatomicbomb
Sixth Man
And1: 1,208

Post#7 » by anatomicbomb » Sat Nov 21, 2020 8:02 pm

luss54321 wrote:1 good season is sometimes all it takes to get paid in the NBA. You just have to get the timing right.

And sometimes you're a UDFA who blooms a bit later, but shows consistent results with increased responsibility and pressure over 4 years with the same team, while developing leadership skills and a reputation for working hard, getting championship experience, and becomes a coveted free agent.

This is a much better deal than Gordon Hayward's. Given current market rates for a guard who can score 20 on 40% volume 3pt shooting, dish 6 assists efficiently without being the primary ball-handler, and be among the league leaders in steals, this seems like a very team-friendly contract that allows VanVleet to prove he continues to grow consistently and be in his prime for a major pay day with the PO after 3 years. He gives maximum effort on every play and has shown every indication he's the consummate team player.

VanVleet is showing he can produce comparable numbers to someone like Jrue Holiday, whom Milwaukee traded Eric Bledsoe, George Hill, three first-round picks, and two future pick swaps to get. Granted, Jrue has done it for years. But, on the other hand, Jrue has been doing it for years. VanVleet's growth projects along roughly similar lines, and doesn't hamper the teams plans to land a big FA after this season, and is making $5m less per year than Holiday on his current deal.

Malcolm Brogdon has a comparable deal to VanVleet and has put up similar numbers over a similar timeframe for a similar team. I would argue that VanVleet has better upside and more valuable skillset, but I don't think you can argue that his contract is worse than Brogdon's.

I also don't think that you can say VanVleet is clearly worth less on the open market right now than Teague, Rozier, Dragic, Rubio, or Bledsoe, who are all paid right below VanVleet's deal, in the $17-$19m per year range.

Spoiler:
Everything is practice.
MINDKCUF
Senior
And1: 577

Post#8 » by MINDKCUF » Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:05 pm

i was hoping to see if vanvleet could truly run his own team somewher else. i like him w/ raptors though. decent deal
objectivefan
Junior
And1: 66

Post#9 » by objectivefan » Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:34 pm

Swingman15 wrote:Baby girl
You know my situation
And I respect ya gangsta

what do you know about that song? lol, classic.. stays in my rotation

bro, thanks for the memories!!!

Return to Wiretap Discussion