Lakers' Injury Application For Luol Deng Denied, Deng Owed $10M Through 2022

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

Lakers' Injury Application For Luol Deng Denied, Deng Owed $10M Through 2022  

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Thu Nov 26, 2020 6:22 am

The Los Angeles Lakers' career-ending injury application for Luol Deng was denied by the league, sources told Shams Charania of The Athletic.

The league's panel determined that Deng did not suffer a career-ending injury with the Lakers.

Deng, who last played for the Wolves in the 2018-19 season, will be owed $10 million over the next two seasons. 

Via Shams Charania/The Athletic

ecuhus1981
RealGM
And1: 1,427

Re: Lakers' Injury Application For Luol Deng Denied, Deng Owed $10M Through 2022 

Post#2 » by ecuhus1981 » Thu Nov 26, 2020 8:33 am

Minnesota finally exacts revenge from LA for stealing the Lakers.
Some people really have a way with words. Other people... not... have... way.
-- Steve Martin
RealGM
And1: 66,481

Re: Lakers' Injury Application For Luol Deng Denied, Deng Owed $10M Through 2022 

Post#3 » by 720 » Thu Nov 26, 2020 8:40 am

Danny Ferry was right about Deng.
babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,297

Post#4 » by babyjax13 » Thu Nov 26, 2020 9:18 am

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 15,749

Post#5 » by dougthonus » Thu Nov 26, 2020 12:56 pm

babyjax13 wrote:
720 wrote:Danny Ferry was right about Deng.

Danny Ferry was abhorrently racist.

https://www.si.com/nba/2014/09/10/danny-ferry-atlanta-hawks-luol-deng#:~:text=Ferry%20is%20the%20Hawks'%20general,but%20he's%20like%20a%20guy

Danny Ferry didn't say anything racist about Deng. He read, verbatim, the words of a scouting report written by someone in Cleveland. At one point in time, you used to be able to read the full scouting report here:

https://www.si.com/nba/2014/09/12/danny-ferry-luol-deng-scouting-report-racial-comment

Which was an article released two days after your article questioning the existence of said report. Looks like the link to the actual report died though, but I have seen it, and his quote was verbatim written by someone else that didn't even work for the Hawks.

I'd also note that this ethnic analogy quote isn't "abhorrently" racist. Its probably a 3 or 4 on a scale of 1-10 of racist comments. He wasn't dropping N words at Deng or making comments which would be abhorrent. It was inappropriate and wrong, but not abhorrent.
http://linktr.ee/bullsbeat - links to the bullsbeat podcast
@doug_thonus on twitter
RealGM
And1: 66,481

Post#6 » by 720 » Thu Nov 26, 2020 12:58 pm

dougthonus wrote:
babyjax13 wrote:

https://www.si.com/nba/2014/09/10/danny-ferry-atlanta-hawks-luol-deng#:~:text=Ferry%20is%20the%20Hawks'%20general,but%20he's%20like%20a%20guy

Danny Ferry didn't say anything racist about Deng. He read, verbatim, the words of a scouting report written by someone in Cleveland. At one point in time, you used to be able to read the full scouting report here:

https://www.si.com/nba/2014/09/12/danny-ferry-luol-deng-scouting-report-racial-comment

Which was an article released two days after your article questioning the existence of said report. Looks like the link to the actual report died though, but I have seen it, and his quote was verbatim written by someone else that didn't even work for the Hawks.

Also all he did was imply Deng was fool’s gold, and that’s what he ended up being.
BigHustle
Pro Prospect
And1: 156

Post#7 » by BigHustle » Thu Nov 26, 2020 3:21 pm

Danny Ferry used a racist phrase.

Deng was all hat and no cattle for the last several years he suited up.

Both of my statements are correct.
floppypoppy
Freshman
And1: 14

Post#8 » by floppypoppy » Thu Nov 26, 2020 4:40 pm

dougthonus wrote:
babyjax13 wrote:

I'd also note that this ethnic analogy quote isn't "abhorrently" racist. Its probably a 3 or 4 on a scale of 1-10 of racist comments. He wasn't dropping N words at Deng or making comments which would be abhorrent. It was inappropriate and wrong, but not abhorrent.

you are not the authority on racism.
sounded racist to many.. but the white guy says it's not. oh ok.
you need to be more self aware and stop this clown sh#t bro
dougthonus
Senior Mod - Bulls
Senior Mod - Bulls
And1: 15,749

Post#9 » by dougthonus » Thu Nov 26, 2020 5:14 pm

floppypoppy wrote:you are not the authority on racism.

I by no means feel I'm an authority on racism.

I said two things though:
1: It wasn't Danny Ferry's words, but someone else's words. This was conclusively, beyond a shadow of a doubt proven.

This is a factual correction, and people shouldn't be stating things about Ferry which are factually inaccurate and cast him in a much worse light than he deserves. Its ironic, because the actual author of these words got off with nothing.

2: I did not say it was okay. I said it was wrong and insensitive. I said it wasn't abhorrent in my opinion.

I understand why you may not want to have a nuanced discussion about how racist something is. Any time you get into that discussion it can sound like justification or excusing racism which wasn't my intent (Though I can see why it sounded that way).

If you want a nuanced discussion though, to me abhorrent racism would indicate malicious intent and hate vs ignorance and insensitivity. This sounds more like the second of those things.

The distinction is important because the first person whom has malicious intent and hate will likely never change barring some massive, unlikely intervention that shocks them out of their world view. The second person will very often change quickly and feel genuinely bad about their actions if they can be shown the impact of their words.

My wife is of another race, and I very much notice the massive amount of insensitivity there can be towards her race as well as a lot of weird looks / behavior from people that we get for being together.
http://linktr.ee/bullsbeat - links to the bullsbeat podcast
@doug_thonus on twitter
BigHustle
Pro Prospect
And1: 156

Post#10 » by BigHustle » Thu Nov 26, 2020 7:49 pm

dougthonus wrote:
floppypoppy wrote:you are not the authority on racism.

I by no means feel I'm an authority on racism.

I said two things though:
1: It wasn't Danny Ferry's words, but someone else's words. This was conclusively, beyond a shadow of a doubt proven.

This is a factual correction, and people shouldn't be stating things about Ferry which are factually inaccurate and cast him in a much worse light than he deserves. Its ironic, because the actual author of these words got off with nothing.

2: I did not say it was okay. I said it was wrong and insensitive. I said it wasn't abhorrent in my opinion.

I understand why you may not want to have a nuanced discussion about how racist something is. Any time you get into that discussion it can sound like justification or excusing racism which wasn't my intent (Though I can see why it sounded that way).

If you want a nuanced discussion though, to me abhorrent racism would indicate malicious intent and hate vs ignorance and insensitivity. This sounds more like the second of those things.

The distinction is important because the first person whom has malicious intent and hate will likely never change barring some massive, unlikely intervention that shocks them out of their world view. The second person will very often change quickly and feel genuinely bad about their actions if they can be shown the impact of their words.

My wife is of another race, and I very much notice the massive amount of insensitivity there can be towards her race as well as a lot of weird looks / behavior from people that we get for being together.

You didn’t need to defend yourself.
TheAlarm
Ballboy
And1: 1

Post#11 » by TheAlarm » Thu Nov 26, 2020 8:28 pm

babyjax13 wrote:

Stop this racist BS here. Before Obama became a president, there was no racism in America. It all started at his time. I am sick and tired of the way it goes nowadays.
TheAlarm
Ballboy
And1: 1

Post#12 » by TheAlarm » Thu Nov 26, 2020 8:31 pm

And something else. Is it fair for the Lakers to pay 10 more millions for someone, who is not playing for them, when we have very limited budget?
babyjax13
RealGM
And1: 14,297

Post#13 » by babyjax13 » Thu Nov 26, 2020 9:16 pm

TheAlarm wrote:
babyjax13 wrote:

Stop this racist BS here. Before Obama became a president, there was no racism in America. It all started at his time. I am sick and tired of the way it goes nowadays.

What you just said is probably the stupidest thing I've ever seen on this forum.

JazzMatt13 wrote:just because I think aliens probably have to do with JFK, doesn't mean my theory that Jazz will never get Wiggins, isn't true.

JColl
D21
Assistant Coach
And1: 658

Post#14 » by D21 » Thu Nov 26, 2020 10:02 pm

TheAlarm wrote:And something else. Is it fair for the Lakers to pay 10 more millions for someone, who is not playing for them, when we have very limited budget?

Did any other team who spread the remaining of a contract asked later to have this removed ? No
There was and is a rule, everybody has to follow it, nothing has changed, they knew what it would create for the following year. Instead of that, they had the choice to try to trade him and he would not have been counted in LAK Salary Cap, sure it would have been hard to find someone trading for him as he was injured, but they could have send him and get higher contract for a shorter length, or add a pick, or anything they wanted to do

They are not the first team to do this, but they are the one to ask to remove the consequences of their action.
And more important, before that, they signed him, nobody told them to do such a thing
beefman
Senior
And1: 15

Post#15 » by beefman » Thu Nov 26, 2020 11:06 pm

TheAlarm wrote:And something else. Is it fair for the Lakers to pay 10 more millions for someone, who is not playing for them, when we have very limited budget?

yes it is. reason: they're the lakers. they have bottomless wallets
coolbyme
Junior
And1: 48

Post#16 » by coolbyme » Thu Nov 26, 2020 11:50 pm

BigHustle wrote:Deng was all hat and no cattle

Spiro Agnew
MitchB3
Starter
And1: 144

Post#17 » by MitchB3 » Fri Nov 27, 2020 12:05 am

TheAlarm wrote:
babyjax13 wrote:

Agreed.
xx1c1cle
Sophomore
And1: 54

Post#18 » by xx1c1cle » Fri Nov 27, 2020 1:52 am

MitchB3 wrote:
TheAlarm wrote:

Agreed.

TheAlarm and MitchB3, since you shared your views, we all are allowed to opine on the views you share. Regarding racism in America, I think your comments are ignorant. When you get a chance, check out this article about the history of Racism in America. At the very least, look at the images and have some empathy.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Racism_in_the_United_States
Cappadon22
Junior
And1: 17

Post#19 » by Cappadon22 » Fri Nov 27, 2020 2:27 am

TheAlarm wrote:
babyjax13 wrote:

Are you trolling? Explain the need for the civil rights movement to us please...
dice
RealGM
And1: 12,544

Post#20 » by dice » Fri Nov 27, 2020 3:53 am

Cappadon22 wrote:
TheAlarm wrote:

Are you trolling? Explain the need for the civil rights movement to us please...

i think he's saying that 1) racism was all cleaned up by the time obama became president, and 2) obama re-started racism in america. both of which are unmitigatedly moronic. the reality is that many racists who had been hiding in the woodwork for years came out into the open to bash our first black president - often in a disgustingly racist fashion. the soil thus became fertile for the abjectly racist birtherism conspiracy theory to sprout. many if not most republicans were/are adherents. trump picked up that ball and ran with it, becoming king birther and devolving the GOP into the birther party. but really, the underbelly of the party had been winked at since nixon started utilizing the "southern strategy" decades earlier. the transition from worshiping jesus to worshiping "republican jesus" is now complete. apparently deeply religious people are quite susceptible to marketing

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southern_strategy

birtherism - never forget

a tiny sample of the vile ignorance that the first black first family had to deal with:

https://www.google.com/search?q=vile+racist+signs+obama&tbm=isch&ved=2ahUKEwiUj8Pd6qHtAhUG96wKHYjOCNMQ2-cCegQIABAA&oq=vile+racist+signs+obama&gs_lcp=CgNpbWcQA1DW_gFYt4ECYK6KAmgAcAB4AIABVogB0AKSAQE0mAEAoAEBqgELZ3dzLXdpei1pbWfAAQE&sclient=img&ei=WnnAX5T6DIbuswWInaOYDQ&bih=789&biw=1440#imgrc=DJfzRzgHHnPYpM
the donald, always unpopular, did worse in EVERY state in 2020. and by a greater margin in red states! 50 independently-run elections, none of them rigged

Return to Wiretap Discussion