Kyrie Irving Skips Media Session, Issues Statement 'To Let My Work On, Off Court Speak For Itself'

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 292

Kyrie Irving Skips Media Session, Issues Statement 'To Let My Work On, Off Court Speak For Itself' 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Fri Dec 4, 2020 10:29 pm

Kyrie Irving opted not to speak to reporters entering training camp and instead issued a statement.

“COVID-19 has impacted us all in many ways, so I pray for the safety and health of our communities domestically and abroad. I am truly excited for the season to start and I am also praying that everyone remains safe and healthy throughout this journey,” Irving wrote in the statement. “Instead of speaking to the media today, I am issuing this statement to ensure that my message is conveyed properly:

“I am committed to show up to work everyday, ready to have fun, compete, perform, and win championships alongside my teammates and colleagues in the Nets organization. My goal this season is to let my work on and off the court speak for itself. Life hit differently this year and it requires us, it requires me, to move differently. So, this is the beginning of that change.”

Irving has had a contentious relationship with some members of the media in recent years as his work off the court has become increasingly impactful. Irving was one of the leading voices amongst players to articulate concerns centered around the NBA's restart. 

Via RealGM Staff Report

Bk68
Sophomore
And1: 10

Re: Kyrie Irving Skips Media Session, Issues Statement 'To Let My Work On, Off Court Speak For Itself' 

Post#2 » by Bk68 » Fri Dec 4, 2020 10:44 pm

I'm sure the MY media will respect that. Gonna be a fun wstch
bj2323
Junior
And1: 31

Re: Kyrie Irving Skips Media Session, Issues Statement 'To Let My Work On, Off Court Speak For Itself' 

Post#3 » by bj2323 » Fri Dec 4, 2020 10:45 pm

When he speaks to the media, he sounds like an idiot... but when he skips speaking to the media, he sound like even more of an idiot :noway:
I likes sports
BigHustle
Pro Prospect
And1: 156

Post#4 » by BigHustle » Fri Dec 4, 2020 10:59 pm

What has KI actually done off the court?

He tried to get players to question why they were playing and he was ignored. So what he he actually done?
danvato
Rookie
And1: 1,043

Post#5 » by danvato » Fri Dec 4, 2020 11:00 pm

bj2323 wrote:When he speaks to the media, he sounds like an idiot... but when he skips speaking to the media, he sound like even more of an idiot :noway:

what part of his statement made him sound like an idiot?
Reeko
Forum Mod - Raptors
Forum Mod - Raptors
And1: 32,922

Post#6 » by Reeko » Fri Dec 4, 2020 11:22 pm

Pretty sure speaking to the media is part of the work you have to do off the court. Kyrie's new nickname should be Gump, as in Forrest Gump, cause he's running away from the NY media.
Clay Davis wrote:COMPOSED ONLY OF THE COOLEST WOMEN AND THE HOTTEST GUYS, THE TORONTO RAPTORS REALGM BOARD HAS LONG BEEN KNOWN FOR ITS HIGH-QUALITY DISCUSSION, PASSIONATE LOYALTY, TEMPERATE CELEBRATIONS OF VICTORY, AND GRACE IN DEFEAT.
luss54321
Starter
And1: 297

Post#7 » by luss54321 » Sat Dec 5, 2020 12:04 am

bj2323 wrote:When he speaks to the media, he sounds like an idiot... but when he skips speaking to the media, he sound like even more of an idiot :noway:

Kyrie has said a lot of dumb things over the years.
TheCage4
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 518

Post#8 » by TheCage4 » Sat Dec 5, 2020 12:15 am

I’d actually prefer less media sessions with players and coaches overall. Hopefully this move gains traction.
“And where once you had the freedom to object, to think and speak as you saw fit, you now have censors and systems of surveillance coercing your conformity and soliciting your submission.” -Alan Moore
ecuhus1981
RealGM
And1: 1,427

Post#9 » by ecuhus1981 » Sat Dec 5, 2020 12:17 am

This was a well thought move.

It lowers the media circus coefficient around training camp. We've heard enough sound bytes from Kyrie this offseason, this is actually a relief.

All respect, I still love Ky as a player. His silence allows us to appreciate him more on the court. Go Nets!
Some people really have a way with words. Other people... not... have... way.
-- Steve Martin
31to6
RealGM
And1: 27,995

Post#10 » by 31to6 » Sat Dec 5, 2020 12:35 am

Celtic fan checking in to say lolololol
Make sure you show up prepared to “have fun and win championships” Kyrie!
Paul Pierce appreciation society.
the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,716

Post#11 » by the_process » Sat Dec 5, 2020 2:42 am

TheCage4 wrote:I’d actually prefer less media sessions with players and coaches overall. Hopefully this move gains traction.

Not as long as there is a gaggle of reporters and commentators making their living off of talking about sports.
the_process
RealGM
And1: 8,716

Post#12 » by the_process » Sat Dec 5, 2020 2:44 am

BigHustle wrote:What has KI actually done off the court?

He tried to get players to question why they were playing and he was ignored. So what he he actually done?

Agreed, the answer is nothing. The staff reporter trying to give Kyrie credit for nothing.

Although... Kyrie did get Truth anointed as the GOAT. :lol:
Prokorov
RealGM
And1: 14,676

Post#13 » by Prokorov » Sat Dec 5, 2020 2:57 am

the_process wrote:
BigHustle wrote:What has KI actually done off the court?

Agreed, the answer is nothing. The staff reporter trying to give Kyrie credit for nothing.

Although... Kyrie did get Truth anointed as the GOAT. :lol:

He has actually done quite a bit...

-Donated 1.5 Million to WNBA players once they got shut down once COVID hit
-Creating a documentary to spread awareness and work to get justice for brionna taylor
-Donated 50,000 N95 Masks to indian reservations and low income neighborhoods in NY/NJ
-Donated 250,000 meals to "feeding america" to help those without food during the pandemic
-Donated $400,000 to helping hands of america

the "he tried to get players to question why they were playing and was ignored" is a very inaccurate portrayal of the actual situation. Kyrie was the voice for many who had questioned why they were returing and expressed his own views that it would distract from a more important social movement. the NBA later shut down for that very movement inside the bubble.

"credit for nothing" is just plain ignorance

People can hate Kyrie all they want. but he is a good dude. he cares about people. he helps communities. he doesnt get in trouvle with the law. he isnt having kids with 10 different women.

if you want to find someone who "did nothing" there are a ton of better examples
dlamb8888888
Sophomore
And1: 123

Post#14 » by dlamb8888888 » Sat Dec 5, 2020 3:26 am

This move sounds like classic Kyrie Irving. He is narcissistic, and thinks he is smarter than everyone else. He is above petty things like talking to the media. The guys is also full of bs. I guarantee the first opportunity he gets, he is going to say some stupid $h!+ to the media and create controversy surrounding the team. He can't help himself. I can't wait to see that team implode. Yes, I am a hater.
IAMZOOTED2
Analyst
And1: 2,414

Post#15 » by IAMZOOTED2 » Sat Dec 5, 2020 3:40 am

Before we go bashing Kyrie for being Kyrie, don't you think this move to actually not speak is the first step toward rebuilding his imgae/brand/credibility??

Whoever is advising him now... well done!
A single sharp pepper is better than a basketful of gourds.
BKlutch
RealGM
And1: 13,370
Location: A new land of openness, freedom, and defense for all.

Post#16 » by BKlutch » Sat Dec 5, 2020 4:39 am

IAMZOOTED2 wrote:Before we go bashing Kyrie for being Kyrie, don't you think this move to actually not speak is the first step toward rebuilding his imgae/brand/credibility??

Whoever is advising him now... well done!

To anybody who knows the NY sports media, the answer is a resounding, "No!"

They will eat him alive and create a soap opera that becomes the defining story of the Nets, unless they are able to win it all. Kyrie is kookie - he's not a bad guy, but he has shown difficulty bonding with teammates to create a cohesive group on the floor. Being the only one not to speak to the press, after not having played for so long, is going to get a lot of clicks for certain (in)famous NY tabloid reporter.

Let the fun and games begin.

Offense propelled by our Brunson Burner. Defense powered by OG, our after-burner.

Money_
Rookie
And1: 224

Post#17 » by Money_ » Sat Dec 5, 2020 5:37 am

And the drama begins... Mr. Flat Earth gonna flat...

By New Year's somebody in Brooklyn gonna get their feelings hurt... :lol: :lol: :wink:
Salty1
Senior
And1: 81

Post#18 » by Salty1 » Sat Dec 5, 2020 6:29 am

This is about one thing and one thing only. The dude don't give a F about the fans and he sure as f don't give no poops about the media. Simple as that guy can find a better way to spend a day then pleasing fans and making the leauge some money. He's just too stupid to realize that all publicity is good publicity for not only himself, but the leauge too(Daryl Morey exception) anyways point is the league creates revenue through the words from these guys. Hes just in Brooklyn to part with his boys kd and DeAndre
NoStatsGuy
Analyst
And1: 1,356

Post#19 » by NoStatsGuy » Sat Dec 5, 2020 9:35 am

wise choice.

talking to reporters didnt go so well.

im in desperate need of some NBA drama and i had hoped the nets are going to provide that. mhhh maybe with harden, later in the season
im bout dat action boss
Rhythm043
Lead Assistant
And1: 1,865

Post#20 » by Rhythm043 » Sat Dec 5, 2020 9:59 am

Lmao so he doesnt want to speak to them at all so before they run wild on him for it he is blaming his future unavailability on covid? Lmao. This guy turned into a straight up weirdo.
On Gerald Henderson vs Derozan:
"Yes. Hendo is quite a bit better than DeMar.
So yes, I do believe he's currently the better player and do project that will continue to be in the future. I would also take Turner over DD."
--Throwback24,Jan 2014

Return to Wiretap Discussion