Re: Michael Porter Jr. Ready To Become Denver's Third Star

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

Michael Porter Jr. Ready To Become Denver's Third Star 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Mon Dec 7, 2020 4:36 pm

The Denver Nuggets have a high level of confidence in Michael Porter Jr. as he has in himself.

Porter was asked by Kendra Andrews of The Athletic if he's ready to become Denver's third star alongside Nikola Jokic and Jamal Murray and his answer was simple.

"Yeah, I am," replied Porter.

Defense has been the issue for Porter and it is something he's worked on this offseason.

“It’s something I am taking head-on,” Porter said. “This is something I want to do. I want to be one of the best players and I want to guard the best players and I want the best players on the other team to guard me.”

Porter will likely start this season.

“Him taking another step forward is going to be huge, regardless of position,” Nuggets president of basketball operations, Tim Connelly said. “We saw flashes of it last year.”

Via Kendra Andrews/The Athletic

DerrickNoah
General Manager
And1: 1,722

Post#2 » by DerrickNoah » Mon Dec 7, 2020 6:01 pm

Why’s this a news story? He was asked the question directly? What else was he supposed to say?
BAF: Phoenix Suns
PG: Ayo Donaumu
SG: Franz Wagner / Ochai Agbaji
SF: Keegan Murray / Cam Whitmore
PF: Patrick Williams / Julian Phillips
C: O-Max Prosper
Salty1
Senior
And1: 81

Post#3 » by Salty1 » Mon Dec 7, 2020 8:39 pm

I believe. He has all the tools and comes from a straight up basketball family. Throw him in the starting lineup and allow him time to flourish.
luss54321
Starter
And1: 297

Post#4 » by luss54321 » Mon Dec 7, 2020 9:02 pm

Michael Porter Jr. had a plus/minus rating of -1.3 last year. Murray was +8.7 and Jokic was +9.3

He needs to start playing some defense if he wants to impact winning. His defense was a liability in the playoffs and he wasn't even a net positive player over the course of last season.
wa7hnaussksjst
Sophomore
And1: 15

Post#5 » by wa7hnaussksjst » Mon Dec 7, 2020 9:21 pm

Salty1 wrote:I believe. He has all the tools and comes from a straight up basketball family. Throw him in the starting lineup and allow him time to flourish.

That family is cursed with serious injuries, not a good reference.
skywalker33
Nuggets Forum Mock Draft Champ
And1: 5,255

Post#6 » by skywalker33 » Mon Dec 7, 2020 9:22 pm

luss54321 wrote:Michael Porter Jr. had a plus/minus rating of -1.3 last year. Murray was +8.7 and Jokic was +9.3

He needs to start playing some defense if he wants to impact winning. His defense was a liability in the playoffs and he wasn't even a net positive player over the course of last season.

Last year was basically MPJ’s rookie year, how many rookies are ready to play NBA style defense ??? :banghead:
Texas Chuck wrote:I'd like to see Utah, and Denver lose

Exactly as I've been saying all along !!
GQ Hot Dog
General Manager
And1: 5,016

Post#7 » by GQ Hot Dog » Mon Dec 7, 2020 9:41 pm

skywalker33 wrote:
luss54321 wrote:Michael Porter Jr. had a plus/minus rating of -1.3 last year. Murray was +8.7 and Jokic was +9.3

Last year was basically MPJ’s rookie year, how many rookies are ready to play NBA style defense ??? :banghead:

What dumb question. Rookies that are good defenders come in and play good defense right away. Rookies that are bad defenders either get better or stay bad their whole career. MPJ has to prove he can become a good defender because as of last season he's horrible. The 15th worst defender in the NBA according to DRPM(certainly not a perfect stat).

But let's not pretend he's guaranteed to improve just because he was a rookie last season. KAT has been talking about becoming a good defender since he entered the league yet DRPM showed him to be the 7th worst defender last season.
The hottest of takes...
Jester_ wrote:Hot take: Moses Moody shows the potential to be a star/#2 option ala Lauri Markkanen. Both the eye test and the advanced stats show a player with extremely high slope.
LaRance
Bench Warmer
And1: 104

Post#8 » by LaRance » Mon Dec 7, 2020 10:38 pm

it's about time those morons in the Denver organization start him :crazy:
luss54321
Starter
And1: 297

Post#9 » by luss54321 » Mon Dec 7, 2020 11:13 pm

GQ Hot Dog wrote:
skywalker33 wrote:

What dumb question. Rookies that are good defenders come in and play good defense right away. Rookies that are bad defenders either get better or stay bad their whole career. MPJ has to prove he can become a good defender because as of last season he's horrible. The 15th worst defender in the NBA according to DRPM(certainly not a perfect stat).

But let's not pretend he's guaranteed to improve just because he was a rookie last season. KAT has been talking about becoming a good defender since he entered the league yet DRPM showed him to be the 7th worst defender last season.

Exactly.

Porter ranked 506 out of 520 players in defensive real plus minus... so the issue is bigger than a typical rookie struggling to adjust.

Return to Wiretap Discussion