Dennis Schroder, Lakers Discuss Extension

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

Dennis Schroder, Lakers Discuss Extension 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Sat Dec 26, 2020 1:46 am

The Los Angeles Lakers and Dennis Schroder have engaged in extension talks and those discussions are expected to pick up agains as soon as mid-February.

Schroder turned down an initial offer from the Lakers worth $33.4 million over two years. The figure represented the maximum allowable offer before Feb. 16.

Schroder could earn as much as $83 million over four years between Feb. 16 and the start of the 2021 offseason. The Lakers can offer a starting salary of $18.6 million starting with the 2021-22 season, which creates much more of a realistic opportunity for the Lakers.

Via Adrian Wojnarowski/ESPN

dan-man
Sixth Man
And1: 364

Re: Dennis Schroder, Lakers Discuss Extension 

Post#2 » by dan-man » Sat Dec 26, 2020 11:05 pm

Getting this done will secure a pretty deep Laker core for the next 3-5 years. Good time to be a Laker fan!
dice
RealGM
And1: 12,543

Post#3 » by dice » Sun Dec 27, 2020 2:24 am

dan-man wrote:Getting this done will secure a pretty deep Laker core for the next 3-5 years. Good time to be a Laker fan!

dennis schroder is nothing to be excited about. AD surrounded by mediocrity is what new orleans had
the donald, always unpopular, did worse in EVERY state in 2020. and by a greater margin in red states! 50 independently-run elections, none of them rigged
PerfectJab
Veteran
And1: 1,357

Post#4 » by PerfectJab » Sun Dec 27, 2020 3:24 am

dice wrote:
dan-man wrote:Getting this done will secure a pretty deep Laker core for the next 3-5 years. Good time to be a Laker fan!

dennis schroder is nothing to be excited about. AD surrounded by mediocrity is what new orleans had

Amazing comparison given that New Orleans has the same FA clout as LA. A 27 year old PG that can distribute the ball and shoot efficiently on an already stacked team is nothing to scoff at. On most teams Schroder would be a starter and as such I fail to see how this is not a net positive.
PerfectJab
Veteran
And1: 1,357

Post#5 » by PerfectJab » Sun Dec 27, 2020 3:25 am

dice wrote:

Amazing comparison given that New Orleans has the same FA clout as LA. A 27 year old PG that can distribute the ball and shoot efficiently on an already stacked team is nothing to scoff at. On most teams Schroder would be a starter and as such I fail to see how this is not a net positive.
dice
RealGM

Post#6 » by dice » Sun Dec 27, 2020 4:13 am

PerfectJab wrote:
dice wrote:

i was speaking to dennis shroeder as part of a core, not to LA's capacity to attract FAs

and shroeder has both poor scoring efficiency and poor A:TO ratio over his career. only last season did his scoring efficiency improve to solid. fluke? time will tell...until then, as i said, nothing at all to get excited about having him on your team
the donald, always unpopular, did worse in EVERY state in 2020. and by a greater margin in red states! 50 independently-run elections, none of them rigged
dice
RealGM

Post#7 » by dice » Sun Dec 27, 2020 4:15 am

PerfectJab wrote:
dice wrote:dennis schroder is nothing to be excited about. AD surrounded by mediocrity is what new orleans had

i was speaking to dennis shroeder as part of a core, not to LA's capacity to attract FAs. and if another star goes to LA after lebron leaves, you can bet your ass that dennis shroeder won't have much to do with it. in fact, don't be surprised if you end up spending a draft pick in order to dump his contract and clear cap space

and shroeder has both poor scoring efficiency and poor A:TO ratio over his career. only last season did his scoring efficiency improve to solid. fluke? time will tell...until then, as i said, nothing at all to get excited about having him on your team
dan-man
Sixth Man

Post#8 » by dan-man » Mon Dec 28, 2020 2:58 am

dice wrote:
PerfectJab wrote:
dice wrote:dennis schroder is nothing to be excited about. AD surrounded by mediocrity is what new orleans had

i was speaking to dennis shroeder as part of a core, not to LA's capacity to attract FAs

Try analyzing it in a vacuum w/out all that other noise. When you consider that he's effectively a Rondo replacement on a championship team, it's a clear improvement for the near and long term if they are able to extend.
dice
RealGM

Post#9 » by dice » Mon Dec 28, 2020 4:10 am

dan-man wrote:
dice wrote:
PerfectJab wrote:

Try analyzing it in a vacuum w/out all that other noise. When you consider that he's effectively a Rondo replacement on a championship team, it's a clear improvement for the near and long term if they are able to extend.

in the long-term it's no longer a "rondo replacement on a championship team." additionally, the money matters. even if it's the lakers

and who's your danny green replacement (an obviously better all-around player than shroeder who actually HAS experience making significant contributions to championship teams)?
dan-man
Sixth Man

Post#10 » by dan-man » Mon Dec 28, 2020 5:32 am

dice wrote:
dan-man wrote:
dice wrote:i was speaking to dennis shroeder as part of a core, not to LA's capacity to attract FAs

in the long-term it's no longer a "rondo replacement on a championship team." additionally, the money matters. even if it's the lakers

and who's your danny green replacement (an obviously better all-around player than shroeder who actually HAS experience making significant contributions to championship teams)?

Wes Matthews - yes a watered-down version of Danny Green, but combined w/all the other offseason moves they are definitely in a great position. I do wish they hung onto Dwight Howard and have no idea what happened there, as he only signed for the vet min, in Philly.

Return to Wiretap Discussion