RJ Barrett: No Fans At Madison Square Garden 'Might Be An Advantage' For Knicks

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

RJ Barrett: No Fans At Madison Square Garden 'Might Be An Advantage' For Knicks 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Sat Dec 26, 2020 10:39 pm

RJ Barrett said that playing without fans at Madison Square Garden could turn into an advantage for the New York Knicks with opponents not as motivated to put on a memorable performance.

“Actually having no fans might be an advantage. I know if I was a competitor coming into the Garden with all those fans, I’d want to have a great game.

"So coming in there with no fans actually probably gives us an advantage that way too. It’s just you have to go out there and play basketball," said Barrett.

Barrett reiterated that MSG was his favorite arena, and that all players would have to adjust to games without fans.

"For us, especially for me, having played in the Garden with all the fans and knowing how special it is to be on this side, I still think it’s an advantage for us (to play in front of fans), because I love playing in the Garden. For everybody else, I don’t know, I can’t speak for them.”

Via Ian Begley/SNY

br7knicks
Knicks Forum The Professor
And1: 10,629

Re: RJ Barrett: No Fans At Madison Square Garden 'Might Be An Advantage' For Knicks 

Post#2 » by br7knicks » Sat Dec 26, 2020 11:14 pm

It's an advantage for dsjr, Payton, and randle because there won't be any fans to boo them
RIP, magnumt '19

PG: M Smart/E Bledsoe/I Smith
SG: D Russell/C LeVert/L Stephenson
SF: H Barnes/T Horton Tucker/
PF: T Harris/C Boucher/B Griffin/
C: J Valanciunas/J McGee/
alienpick
Starter
And1: 619

Re: RJ Barrett: No Fans At Madison Square Garden 'Might Be An Advantage' For Knicks 

Post#3 » by alienpick » Sun Dec 27, 2020 4:02 am

This idea that NY is the mecca of basketball needs to die. MSG may be nice/storied, but it's been home to the dumpster fire of the NBA for decades. Even Carmelo couldn't lift the Knicks out of the dump. NY and the NYK are the butt of the NBA.
Revived
RealGM
And1: 19,450

Post#4 » by Revived » Sun Dec 27, 2020 10:31 am

alienpick wrote:This idea that NY is the mecca of basketball needs to die. MSG may be nice/storied, but it's been home to the dumpster fire of the NBA for decades. Even Carmelo couldn't lift the Knicks out of the dump. NY and the NYK are the butt of the NBA.

It’s not just an “idea” if the best basketball player on this planet believes it’s the mecca of basketball.
_BALLDONTLIE
Sophomore
And1: 162

Post#5 » by _BALLDONTLIE » Sun Dec 27, 2020 5:19 pm

alienpick wrote:This idea that NY is the mecca of basketball needs to die. MSG may be nice/storied, but it's been home to the dumpster fire of the NBA for decades. Even Carmelo couldn't lift the Knicks out of the dump. NY and the NYK are the butt of the NBA.

It's still one the biggest stages, the fact that the Knicks suck only makes it easier/more attractive for other teams and players to come in and put on a show.

Any time someone drops 50-60 at MSG it's a classic that will remembered for years, even tho no one will remember who was on the Knicks.

Return to Wiretap Discussion