David Griffin Hopes It Will Be Obvious When Pelicans Should Make Major Trade

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

David Griffin Hopes It Will Be Obvious When Pelicans Should Make Major Trade 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Mon Jan 25, 2021 4:22 pm

The New Orleans Pelicans have as many future traded picks as any team in the NBA outside of the Oklahoma City Thunder, which could put them in position to acquire a star in the future via trade. Such a trade would accelerate the Pelicans' window of contention with Brandon Ingram and Zion Williamson.

The timing of a trade, however, could be difficult for David Griffin to decide upon.

“I’ve never really been able to say unequivocally ‘go flip the switch.’ LeBron [James] is the only player in the NBA whose presence alone makes you a Finals contender. So when LeBron came back to Cleveland, it was time to rock and roll,” Griffin said. “I don’t know if I do know when to flip the switch. But I know when not to. I hope that this group grows and develops in the way we anticipate and that it will become fairly obvious when we should cash in some of those chips. In the presence of a sound process, decisions often make themselves. I hope we’re able to bring that to fruition.”

Griffin has made a pair of blockbuster trades in dealing away Anthony Davis and Jrue Holiday for future picks and pick swaps.

Via Kevin O'Connor/The Ringer

niha17
Rookie
And1: 68

Re: David Griffin Hopes It Will Be Obvious When Pelicans Should Make Major Trade 

Post#2 » by niha17 » Mon Jan 25, 2021 5:09 pm

LOL this means I dont want to lose my job again by making the wrong move. The pels are a borderline team gotta take a risk. Trade ingram and hart for lavine. That will help them
Bentley1225
RealGM
And1: 1,562

Re: David Griffin Hopes It Will Be Obvious When Pelicans Should Make Major Trade 

Post#3 » by Bentley1225 » Mon Jan 25, 2021 5:18 pm

They need to make a decision on Ball. If they dont think he's worth, even short term, $15 million+/annually, they should deal him in this season.
RealGM
And1: 66,480

Post#4 » by 720 » Mon Jan 25, 2021 5:26 pm

niha17 wrote:LOL this means I dont want to lose my job again by making the wrong move. The pels are a borderline team gotta take a risk. Trade ingram and hart for lavine. That will help them

Lol clown take.
HotelVitale
RealGM
And1: 9,804

Post#5 » by HotelVitale » Mon Jan 25, 2021 5:32 pm

720 wrote:
niha17 wrote:LOL this means I dont want to lose my job again by making the wrong move. The pels are a borderline team gotta take a risk. Trade ingram and hart for lavine. That will help them
Lol clown take.

That's a really random proposal. Ingram's putting up about the same stats and slightly better advanced #s as Lavine, and he's younger and signed for a lot longer. And Lavine doesn't help with defense at all, which is where the Pells are struggling. Of all the available players who might help fix the Pells, Lavine seems like he's at the bottom of the list.
BigHustle
Pro Prospect
And1: 156

Post#6 » by BigHustle » Mon Jan 25, 2021 5:53 pm

Great job so far Griff. I like playing the long game when you have long-terms assets and options.
mg
General Manager
And1: 4,027

Post#7 » by mg » Mon Jan 25, 2021 6:50 pm

Well he probably needed to say something. At this point it appears he has not put enough fitting pieces next to Zion.
ayyayyron
Senior
And1: 627

Post#8 » by ayyayyron » Mon Jan 25, 2021 7:42 pm

Bledsoe, Kira, 3 firsts, and 2 seconds for Zach LaVine coming up
NBA fan first, Nets fan second, Grayson Allen hater third
puja21
Bench Warmer
And1: 187

Post#9 » by puja21 » Mon Jan 25, 2021 7:54 pm

HotelVitale wrote:
720 wrote:
Lol clown take.

That's a really random proposal. Ingram's putting up about the same stats and slightly better advanced #s as Lavine, and he's younger and signed for a lot longer. And Lavine doesn't help with defense at all, which is where the Pells are struggling. Of all the available players who might help fix the Pells, Lavine seems like he's at the bottom of the list.

This
oaktownwarriors87
RealGM
And1: 4,354

Post#10 » by oaktownwarriors87 » Mon Jan 25, 2021 8:20 pm

niha17 wrote: I dont want to lose my job again... Trade ingram and hart for lavine.

That's how you lose your job again.

This team is young. They need a solid vet that can lead an produce.
cdubbz wrote:Donte DiVincenzo will outplay Poole this season.
hyper316
RealGM
And1: 9,672

Post#11 » by hyper316 » Mon Jan 25, 2021 8:35 pm

Trading Jrue hurt them develop the young core. But the haul that Pels got from Bucks was pretty good. Pels need a Chris Paul or Kyle Lowry PG type vet to get to the next level (playoffs)
circa70
Sophomore
And1: 34

Post#12 » by circa70 » Mon Jan 25, 2021 8:37 pm

Fire Griff! He got absolutely fleeced on the AD trade. :lol:
LewisnotMiller
Analyst
And1: 3,236

Post#13 » by LewisnotMiller » Tue Jan 26, 2021 12:11 am

Woah, no...
More like a sackable offence.
Stillwater
RealGM
And1: 3,655

Post#14 » by Stillwater » Tue Jan 26, 2021 12:14 am

golf clap for acquiring Adams /\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\ 8-)
SUNDOWN BRINGS A WELCOME CHANGE TO EVERYTHING THAT'S HIDING
Psubs
RealGM
And1: 10,633

Post#15 » by Psubs » Tue Jan 26, 2021 12:22 am

ayyayyron wrote:Bledsoe, Kira, 3 firsts, and 2 seconds for Zach LaVine coming up

I believe that Lavar wanted Lamelo to go to Chicago and that big market.

Kira Lewis, Josh Hart, Lonzo Ball,Nicolo Melli and 3 1sts (Lakers in 2021) for Zach Lavine and Garrett Temple
Fattz
Junior
And1: 12

Post#16 » by Fattz » Tue Jan 26, 2021 1:53 am

Maybe Wall makes sense and easy to actually get while keeping all the draft picks.
Loneshot
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,009

Post#17 » by Loneshot » Tue Jan 26, 2021 2:19 am

Bentley1225 wrote:They need to make a decision on Ball. If they dont think he's worth, even short term, $15 million+/annually, they should deal him in this season.

Or simply if they don't plan to take advantage of his abilities. A worst Pelicans team was performing a lot better last season, and I really don't think the issue is the addition of Steven Adams. Bledsoe for Holiday wasn't a great deal. The offense seems a lot more stagnant than last year with less movement.
Loneshot
Pro Prospect
And1: 1,009

Post#18 » by Loneshot » Tue Jan 26, 2021 2:21 am

:lol:
oaktownwarriors87 wrote:
niha17 wrote: I dont want to lose my job again... Trade ingram and hart for lavine.

That's how you lose your job again.

This team is young. They need a solid vet that can lead an produce.

They traded that vet to Milwaukee for Bledsoe and some fish sticks.
jozef
Sixth Man
And1: 124

Post#19 » by jozef » Tue Jan 26, 2021 8:04 am

Zion Williamson and Ingram are great forwards. Steven Adams is a solid center, still replacable.
Bledsoe and Ball does not fit at guard positions. I would start Reddick instead of Bledsoe. Maybe it could help.
cheese318
Sixth Man
And1: 227

Post#20 » by cheese318 » Tue Jan 26, 2021 8:11 am

720 wrote:

Lol clown take.

Lol that’s such an awful idea. As good as Lavine is playing ya gotta keep Ingram. If anything you’d want to add Lavine to the nucleus by not subtracting Ingram or else it’s a moot point and back to square one.
Hoopzilla wrote:
Whether I was born or not when the Orlando Magic tried to form a Super Team means absolutely nothing to this conversation. One thing is pretty clear, you are the load your mother should have swallowed and moved on with her life... :nod:

Return to Wiretap Discussion