Top NBA Players Reluctant To Participate In COVID-19 Vaccine Marketing Campaign

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

Top NBA Players Reluctant To Participate In COVID-19 Vaccine Marketing Campaign 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Wed Feb 17, 2021 7:03 pm

Many top players from the NBA have expressed apprehension about participating in league-sponsored Public Service Announcements in support of the COVID-19 vaccine.

Player apprehension about receiving the vaccine are consistent with those that also exist in Black communities throughout the country, agents and players told ESPN.

There are a number of factors contributing to the reluctance from many players, including the scheduling of a largely unpopular All-Star Game.

As the league works to educate players on the benefits of the vaccine, Adam Silver told the general managers that the process could be incentivized for teams and individuals with the loosening of quarantine and testing protocols for those vaccinated.

Via Adrian Wojnarowski/ESPN

arbsn
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,627

Re: Top NBA Players Reluctant To Participate In COVID-19 Vaccine Marketing Campaign 

Post#2 » by arbsn » Wed Feb 17, 2021 7:33 pm

this is disturbing. the tuskagee experiment is a real thing. there is nobody who has had this vaccine for even 1 year yet. what % of people die from COVID? what happens if a player dies from the vaccine or becomes infertile? can they sue the vaccine companies? what about the league?

but take the vaccine because we will give you more freedom

this appears to be modern slavery
Metallikid
RealGM
And1: 9,962

Re: Top NBA Players Reluctant To Participate In COVID-19 Vaccine Marketing Campaign 

Post#3 » by Metallikid » Wed Feb 17, 2021 7:35 pm

arbsn wrote:this is disturbing. the tuskagee experiment is a real thing. there is nobody who has had this vaccine for even 1 year yet. what % of people die from COVID? what happens if a player dies from the vaccine or becomes infertile? can they sue the vaccine companies? what about the league?

100% agree.
LipSkinMatter
Sixth Man
And1: 1,906

Post#4 » by LipSkinMatter » Wed Feb 17, 2021 7:39 pm

Gotta love the media desperately trying to save face on this one. NBA players are reluctant to the vaccine? Make it a race issue! That will enable us to keep spouting our drivel! If you just take this story at face value it is much more damning to the vaccine propaganda.

Don't worry though, Silver is going to edumacate the players on why vaccines are beneficial! Shut up and dribble and let us think for you, fools! :roll:
MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 36,912

Post#5 » by MrDollarBills » Wed Feb 17, 2021 7:53 pm

LipSkinMatter wrote:Gotta love the media desperately trying to save face on this one. NBA players are reluctant to the vaccine? Make it a race issue! That will enable us to keep spouting our drivel! If you just take this story at face value it is much more damning to the vaccine propaganda.

Don't worry though, Silver is going to edumacate the players on why vaccines are beneficial! Shut up and dribble and let us think for you, fools! :roll:

The Tuskegee Experiment of 1932 to 1972 is a huge reason why there is apprehension in the Black community and among Black athletes about taking the COVID-19 vaccine.

So, if anything is to blame for this becoming a race issue, which it is, it is the US Government.
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
yuckwheat
Sophomore
And1: 59

Post#6 » by yuckwheat » Wed Feb 17, 2021 7:55 pm

Healthcare professionals and elected leaders should be the ones marketing vaccines by being the first to use them and vouching for their safety. Basketball players should have nothing to do with it.
MrDollarBills
RealGM
And1: 36,912

Post#7 » by MrDollarBills » Wed Feb 17, 2021 8:00 pm

Metallikid wrote:
arbsn wrote:this is disturbing. the tuskagee experiment is a real thing. there is nobody who has had this vaccine for even 1 year yet. what % of people die from COVID? what happens if a player dies from the vaccine or becomes infertile? can they sue the vaccine companies? what about the league?

100% agree.

Millions of people have already been vaccinated and the number of adverse events greatly pale in comparison to the amount of people who are dying every day from Covid-19.

Being Black myself, I fully understand the fear regarding the Tuskegee Experiment. I think there needs to be greater outreach to communities of color especially Black communities to educate everyone about the processes that were used to develop this vaccine in a record amount of time, including the unprecedented global financial support behind the research. But uneducated Antivax rhetoric isn't helping anyone. People are dying in real time.
BAF Indiana Pacers 2023-24

C: Richaun Holmes/Thomas Bryant
PF: Karl Anthony Towns/Santi Aldama
SF: OG Anunoby/Matisse Thybulle
SG: Luke Kennard/Terance Mann/K. Caldwell Pope
PG: Cole Anthony/Isaiah Joe
kenwood3333
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,196

Post#8 » by kenwood3333 » Wed Feb 17, 2021 8:07 pm

Whats wrong with getting vaccinated? This is the most straight foward way to prevent the spread of the disease.
And why is there a need to promote vaccination? If it is for population control, then there is no need to develop vaccine - just let the virus spread and people die natually.
Duke4life831
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 64,665

Post#9 » by Duke4life831 » Wed Feb 17, 2021 8:20 pm

I have an idea. NBA just sit this one out. Let the government and healthcare professionals market the vaccine.

It ain’t NBA players jobs to market vaccines.
ItsDanger
RealGM
And1: 22,055

Post#10 » by ItsDanger » Wed Feb 17, 2021 8:21 pm

Regardless of your opinion on this vaccine there is a fact that cannot be ignored. There are a ton of FDA approved medications in the market currently and for many years that can and have serious side effects. I wouldn't do this as a public figure, there is only down side.
Organization can be defined as an organized body of people with a particular purpose. Not random.
Stillwater
RealGM
And1: 3,655

Post#11 » by Stillwater » Wed Feb 17, 2021 8:36 pm

I mean the last you thing you want to do is tell people something is safe if you havent even taken it yourself so clearly the league is trying to position themselves for faster justification of line jumping
SUNDOWN BRINGS A WELCOME CHANGE TO EVERYTHING THAT'S HIDING
Metallikid
RealGM

Post#12 » by Metallikid » Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:10 pm

MrDollarBills wrote:
Metallikid wrote:

100% agree.

Millions of people have already been vaccinated and the number of adverse events greatly pale in comparison to the amount of people who are dying every day from Covid-19.

Being Black myself, I fully understand the fear regarding the Tuskegee Experiment. I think there needs to be greater outreach to communities of color especially Black communities to educate everyone about the processes that were used to develop this vaccine in a record amount of time, including the unprecedented global financial support behind the research. But uneducated Antivax rhetoric isn't helping anyone. People are dying in real time.

You don't have to be an 'anti-vaxxer' not to trust corporations like Pfizer. They are unequivocally not working in our best interests.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_largest_pharmaceutical_settlements
Metallikid
RealGM

Post#13 » by Metallikid » Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:19 pm

kenwood3333 wrote:Whats wrong with getting vaccinated? This is the most straight foward way to prevent the spread of the disease.
And why is there a need to promote vaccination? If it is for population control, then there is no need to develop vaccine - just let the virus spread and people die natually.

Unless you're very old, obese or vitamin D deficient you are incredibly unlikely to have anything worse than flu-like symptoms from Covid and most won't even have that. Take a country like Sweden, they didn't lock down and masks and distancing are only a recommendation. Did they have more deaths? Yes, they did. But it was still from the same groups that need the targeted protection like long term care homes and could be helped other ways. Their human rights haven't been wholesale trampled by indefinite emergency powers and their economy is doing significantly better than nearby countries.

Only very old people, the very obese, and infirm should have this vaccination. Nobody should be forced, and these fraudulent 'public health' measures should be removed so people can freely act and accept what risks come with it. Covid is endemic. We have to live normally, and take care of ourselves as best as possible. It would be great if the government could help us do that. Vaccinating groups that are not at-risk, or don't want it, isn't it.
raylewis
Sophomore
And1: 50

Post#14 » by raylewis » Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:28 pm

more than 1 of a 1000 black american are killed by corona and the NBA still dont get facts :)
NUMBERICA
Sophomore
And1: 144

Post#15 » by NUMBERICA » Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:43 pm

The uneducated, pampered infants that comprise the league's elite really have got to get their **** together. There are issues beyond BLM (which I am in full support of) that deserve selection in their selective wokeness. Publicly supporting a vaccine for one of the most destructive pandemics in human history is a bar so low that it's in the ground.

I suspect Kyrie has a really interesting take that no one should listen to.
NUMBERICA
Sophomore

Post#16 » by NUMBERICA » Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:50 pm

Metallikid wrote:
kenwood3333 wrote:Whats wrong with getting vaccinated? This is the most straight foward way to prevent the spread of the disease.

Unless you're very old, obese or vitamin D deficient you are incredibly unlikely to have anything worse than flu-like symptoms from Covid and most won't even have that. Take a country like Sweden, they didn't lock down and masks and distancing are only a recommendation. Did they have more deaths? Yes, they did. But it was still from the same groups that need the targeted protection like long term care homes and could be helped other ways. Their human rights haven't been wholesale trampled by indefinite emergency powers and their economy is doing significantly better than nearby countries.

Only very old people, the very obese, and infirm should have this vaccination. Nobody should be forced, and these fraudulent 'public health' measures should be removed so people can freely act and accept what risks come with it. Covid is endemic. We have to live normally, and take care of ourselves as best as possible. It would be great if the government could help us do that. Vaccinating groups that are not at-risk, or don't want it, isn't it.

Oh, so **** the people that are susceptible (which comprise a larger portion in this country than virtually any other developed nation since we have garbage health in the US)? Got it. Super cool take.

Wait, I almost missed the part at the end. People that aren't susceptible shouldn't take it??? DOG, infection is how the virus mutates, and when it mutates enough WE. START. OVER. with all of this ****. There is nothing viable, sustainable, or equitable about continuously fighting Covid that will become increasingly transmissible and likely more deadly with time, and getting to herd immunity (via vaccine since people are getting reinfected) is the only way to avoid it.
NUMBERICA
Sophomore

Post#17 » by NUMBERICA » Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:58 pm

>500,000 people die from Covid in the U.S.

>"I wonder how many people die from the vaccine?"

The answer is a lot less. Currently 0.
jlokine
Analyst
And1: 3,934

Post#18 » by jlokine » Wed Feb 17, 2021 10:00 pm

but they'll publicly stop playing basketball until the league lets them wear shirts that tell people to vote and it's obvious who they want people to vote for.
TheCage4
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 518

Post#19 » by TheCage4 » Wed Feb 17, 2021 10:24 pm

I had COVID back in December 2020.

As a 39 year old male with no underlying health issues, a physical job that keeps me in shape, and a lifestyle that is devoid of drugs, alcohol, and smoking; I ended up hospitalized. The kicker is that my symptoms were mild for the first 7 days- chills but no fever, no appetite, no cough, and a lot of fatigue. After that I spiked a fever for four straight days before having my blood oxygen level drop below 90% on day 12 (when I was rushed to the hospital via ambulance).

While at the hospital it was determined that the COVID infection had transitioned into pneumonia. So I beat one virus for my body to be attacked by another. It took me from December 2 until December 22 be at a level physically that I could return to my daily routine, but with lingering issues such as shortness of breath and fatigue.

The point I’m trying to get at is that I now understand how this virus can kill you, because I went from feeling “not so hot” to being hospitalized. I have tested positive for antibodies and I am still getting the vaccine. The choice is yours and no one should be told what to do, but until you have a bad experience or lose a loved one, it’s tough for me to understand how you can take a side.
“And where once you had the freedom to object, to think and speak as you saw fit, you now have censors and systems of surveillance coercing your conformity and soliciting your submission.” -Alan Moore
Metallikid
RealGM

Post#20 » by Metallikid » Wed Feb 17, 2021 10:29 pm

NUMBERICA wrote:
Metallikid wrote:

Oh, so **** the people that are susceptible (which comprise a larger portion in this country than virtually any other developed nation since we have garbage health in the US)? Got it. Super cool take.

Wait, I almost missed the part at the end. People that aren't susceptible shouldn't take it??? DOG, infection is how the virus mutates, and when it mutates enough WE. START. OVER. with all of this ****. There is nothing viable, sustainable, or equitable about continuously fighting Covid that will become increasingly transmissible and likely more deadly with time, and getting to herd immunity (via vaccine since people are getting reinfected) is the only way to avoid it.

It's not **** them. They can still make their choices. They have agency. You can do lots and lots of other things for them. Many other options you never considered. But you do not trample everyone's human rights, and future quality of life to 'protect' them from non-symptomatic people.

And no, evolutionary pressure is always towards more transmissible less deadly. That's well known. You're in a hysteria. The flu could have mutated into something like the Spanish Flu at any time, in any year. Eventually one variant predominates, and over time that predominate variant will be weaker.

The pandemic is over, man. It's endemic. It's here forever. You let the government tell you we have to get rid of it that's what you'll be doing your whole life losing more rights in the process with nothing to show for it.

Return to Wiretap Discussion