Mike Conley: I Really, Really Thought This Was The All-Star Year

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

Mike Conley: I Really, Really Thought This Was The All-Star Year 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Thu Feb 25, 2021 2:56 pm

Mike Conley spoke to the media for the first time since he was not voted in as an All-Star reserve despite a highly productive season and one of the best careers of any player not to receive a selection.

"Man, it was tough," said Conley. "I really, really thought this was the year. I joked with the guys on the team that I blame them. We should have started the year 31-0. Maybe that would have given me a chance, but I don’t know what else to do."

Conley is averaging 16.4 points, 3.4 rebounds and 5.6 assists per game while the Utah Jazz have a 25-6 record.

Via Tim MacMahon/ESPN

SeanieWard
Senior
And1: 493

Re: Mike Conley: I Really, Really Thought This Was The All-Star Year 

Post#2 » by SeanieWard » Thu Feb 25, 2021 4:17 pm

Sorry Conley but you shouldn't have been an all star. They got it correct. Solid numbers but there are soo many players better than you in the Western Conference
Boogie!
RealGM
And1: 52,783
Location: Ba da da da daaaaaa. If you build it, they will come!

Post#3 » by Boogie! » Thu Feb 25, 2021 4:27 pm

Based on his comments I thought he was averaging at least 20 and 8 or something on efficient shooting percsnrtages and then I see 16 and 5. What is he talking about.
mdenny wrote:In anycase....Masai is probably gonna make Fred the first active player/head coach in franchise history now that Nurse is out of the way. That's been the plan all along.
TheSeeker
Sophomore
And1: 61

Post#4 » by TheSeeker » Thu Feb 25, 2021 4:49 pm

If people watched him play and see how efficient he has been, they may comment differently.

He is top
3 overall raptor rating between Jokic and Embid for a reason.
DickGrayson
Veteran
And1: 2,080

Post#5 » by DickGrayson » Thu Feb 25, 2021 5:17 pm

3rd best guard Jazz on the Jazz...who was subpar last year plays 30 games of good ball and is crying about not making the All Star team? LaMelo Ball ane Tyrese Haliburton right now are better than him. He's just high off the Jazz hot streak...

I would never care for a dude missing the All Star game when he only gets to the FT line twice a game. Jazz got Grobert and Mitchell. Well deserved. Conley is a vet who had his time. Let the younger and more deserving players get the All Star spot.
The_Hater
GHOAT (Greatest Hater Of All Time)
And1: 40,048

Post#6 » by The_Hater » Thu Feb 25, 2021 5:19 pm

SeanieWard wrote:Sorry Conley but you shouldn't have been an all star. They got it correct. Solid numbers but there are soo many players better than you in the Western Conference

That’s arguable. First, I don’t see ‘several’. The list of possible all stars in the west was thin this season.

But if you look at his advanced stats and the success of his team, he’s been way better than his counting stats too. He’s an elite defender statically and most of his advanced stats are better than Mitchell’s.

I get why he wasn’t picked, but I think it was closer than you give here. And he’ll, it would have made up for all those years where he was playing behind so many hall of fame PG’s in the west while inferior guards were making the team over in the east.
AthensBucks wrote:Lowry is done.
Nurse is below average at best.
Masai is overrated.
I dont get how so many people believe in the raptors,they have zero to chance to win it all.

April 14th, 2019.
Anticon
General Manager
And1: 4,938

Post#7 » by Anticon » Thu Feb 25, 2021 5:50 pm

In the east hed have made at least one team. But almost impossible over the years playing behind Curry, Westbrook, Harden, Paul, etc.
spree2kawhi
RealGM
And1: 3,831

Post#8 » by spree2kawhi » Thu Feb 25, 2021 6:19 pm

He's good, but the competition is probably better. Nothing to see here.
yava
Ballboy
And1: 1

Post#9 » by yava » Thu Feb 25, 2021 6:25 pm

RealGM Wiretap wrote:Mike Conley spoke to the media for the first time since he was not voted in as an All-Star reserve despite a highly productive season and one of the best careers of any player not to receive a selection.
"Man, it was tough," said Conley. "I really, really thought this was the year. I joked with the guys on the team that I blame them. We should have started the year 31-0. Maybe that would have given me a chance, but I don’t know what else to do."
Conley is averaging 16.4 points, 3.4 rebounds and 5.6 assists per game while the Utah Jazz have a 25-6 record.Via Tim MacMahon/ESPN

I mean who would you take out to put him in? Every other guard in the west has performed better than him that was selected. Even others that didn't get picked are performing better than him (Ja Morant, Shai Gilgeous-Alexander, De'Aron Fox)
br7knicks
Knicks Forum The Professor
And1: 10,629

Post#10 » by br7knicks » Thu Feb 25, 2021 7:04 pm

spree2kawhi wrote:He's good, but the competition is probably better. Nothing to see here.

This

His defense should be more of a reason he gets it, but defense won't win you all star selections.

In previous years, he should have gotten the nod. I'm a big Conley fan. But sorry, man. Not this year.
RIP, magnumt '19

PG: M Smart/E Bledsoe/I Smith
SG: D Russell/C LeVert/L Stephenson
SF: H Barnes/T Horton Tucker/
PF: T Harris/C Boucher/B Griffin/
C: J Valanciunas/J McGee/
Scalabrine
RealGM
And1: 7,335

Post#11 » by Scalabrine » Thu Feb 25, 2021 8:15 pm

yava wrote:
RealGM Wiretap wrote:Mike Conley spoke to the media for the first time since he was not voted in as an All-Star reserve despite a highly productive season and one of the best careers of any player not to receive a selection.
Conley is averaging 16.4 points, 3.4 rebounds and 5.6 assists per game while the Utah Jazz have a 25-6 record.Via Tim MacMahon/ESPN

I mean who would you take out to put him in? Every other guard in the west has performed better than him that was selected. Even others that didn't get picked are performing better than him (Ja Morant, Shai Gilgeous-Alexander, De'Aron Fox)

Per 100 Possessions
Devin Booker: 36.1pts (on 26.3fga) , 5.2 reb, 6.2 ast, 1.2 stl, 0.4 blk 5.1 tov, 109 Offensive Rating, 112 Defensive Rating
Mike Conley: 27.4 pts (on 20.8 fga), 6.1 reb, 9.5 ast, 2.5 stl, 0.4 blk, 3.3 tov, 124 Offensive Rating, 108 Defensive Rating

Advanced Stats:
Devin Booker: 60.9 ts%, 18.3 PER, 31.3 USG%, 1.9 Win Shares, .098 Win Shares/48, -0.4 BPM, 0.4 VORP
Mike Conley: 59.7 ts%, 20.0 PER, 23.1 USG%, 3.3 Win Shares, .212 Win Shares/48, +4.5 BPM, 1.2 VORP

Suns Record: 20-11
Jazz Record: 26-6
https://stathead.com/basketball/pcm_finder.cgi?request=1&sum=0&player_id1=bookede01&p1yrfrom=2021&player_id2=conlemi01&p2yrfrom=2021

Anyone with any sort of critical analysis skills can see that Conley is having a better season than Booker, on a better team. Yet Booker get on there because... he's more well known? Better raw stats? Conley's raw starts are only worse because the Jazz blow teams out, so he plays 5 less minutes per game than Booker.

Would love to read how you spin that...
Go Knicks!
SeanieWard
Senior
And1: 493

Post#12 » by SeanieWard » Thu Feb 25, 2021 8:20 pm

The_Hater wrote:
SeanieWard wrote:Sorry Conley but you shouldn't have been an all star. They got it correct. Solid numbers but there are soo many players better than you in the Western Conference

That’s arguable. First, I don’t see ‘several’. The list of possible all stars in the west was thin this season.

But if you look at his advanced stats and the success of his team, he’s been way better than his counting stats too. He’s an elite defender statically and most of his advanced stats are better than Mitchell’s.

I get why he wasn’t picked, but I think it was closer than you give here. And he’ll, it would have made up for all those years where he was playing behind so many hall of fame PG’s in the west while inferior guards were making the team over in the east.

I will admit I haven't looked at any advanced stats but before Booker got the nod to replace AD I would of chosen Booker, Derozan, Brandon Ingram, and although their record is bad, I think Fox is more deserving than Conley too
The_Hater
GHOAT (Greatest Hater Of All Time)
And1: 40,048

Post#13 » by The_Hater » Thu Feb 25, 2021 8:30 pm

SeanieWard wrote:
The_Hater wrote:

I will admit I haven't looked at any advanced stats but before Booker got the nod to replace AD I would of chosen Booker, Derozan, Brandon Ingram, and although their record is bad, I think Fox is more deserving than Conley too

Agree on Booker. Disagree on Fox.

Definitely not Derozan. For the 9th straight season, his team has outplayed their opponents by more when he’s on the bench than on the floor. 9 years. He is arguably the worst defensive player in the league who plays 30+ mpg. The Spurs are succeeding because of their bench this season.

And I thing they’d have a problem giving the Pels 2 all stars although I get the Ingram argument as a player.

My guess is Conley is next in line on the injury replacement list. We’ll find out.
AthensBucks wrote:Lowry is done.
Nurse is below average at best.
Masai is overrated.
I dont get how so many people believe in the raptors,they have zero to chance to win it all.

April 14th, 2019.
Blaze94
Freshman
And1: 93

Post#14 » by Blaze94 » Thu Feb 25, 2021 11:34 pm

dudes not an allstar..i dont care about his "advanced metrics"...it would be like Korver making it with atlanta only cause they won games

Return to Wiretap Discussion