Celtics Targeting Jerami Grant On Trade Market

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 292

Celtics Targeting Jerami Grant On Trade Market 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Thu Mar 4, 2021 4:08 pm

The Boston Celtics have trade interest in Jerami Grant.

Grant is averaging 23.4 points, 5.3 rebounds and 2.9 assists in a breakout season with the Detroit Pistons.

Grant signed a three-year, $60 million contract with the Pistons in the offseason.

The Celtics could build a trade package for Grant around their $28.5 million traded player exception.

Via Shams Charania/The Athletic

celticfan42487
RealGM
And1: 15,277

Re: Celtics Targeting Jerami Grant On Trade Market 

Post#2 » by celticfan42487 » Thu Mar 4, 2021 4:14 pm

As a Celtics fan ummmmm with what freaking asset?

I'm sure we're also targeting LeBron but I'm not sure how a realistic trade could happen.

Is this just another fluff piece to meet content quotas?
MINDKCUF
Senior
And1: 577

Post#3 » by MINDKCUF » Thu Mar 4, 2021 4:15 pm

only good player pistons have and still young. no need to trade him.
dubbmotta
Senior
And1: 100

Post#4 » by dubbmotta » Thu Mar 4, 2021 4:27 pm

MINDKCUF wrote:only good player pistons have and still young. no need to trade him.

Why not? Pistons suck and will continue to suck for years, he’ll bounce in a couple years when his contract is up might as well trade him for draft picks and own that player for 4-8 years.
kenwood3333
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,195

Post#5 » by kenwood3333 » Thu Mar 4, 2021 4:46 pm

Ainge will probably ask the Pistons to attach a pick as part of the trade.
tmorgan
RealGM
And1: 6,922

Post#6 » by tmorgan » Thu Mar 4, 2021 4:54 pm

Yeah, this doesn't make a whole lot of sense. Jerami's worth less than the J's and more than anything else the Celtics can offer. Celtics' picks are about as up in the air in terms of value as you can possibly get, as they should be better than they actually are. Don't really see what a deal could look like unless Weaver does something dumb.
Hipster Doofus
Head Coach
And1: 6,490

Post#7 » by Hipster Doofus » Thu Mar 4, 2021 5:18 pm

lmao ain't happening. ainge blowing smoke out his butthole as usual, with zero results.
Truth is on the side of the oppressed.
Rashidi
Rookie
And1: 145

Post#8 » by Rashidi » Thu Mar 4, 2021 5:29 pm

Ainge/Celtics rhetoric aside, I guess this depends entirely on whether the Pistons see any value in the Celtics young players (guys on rookie deals).

Payton Pritchard
Carsen Edwards
Aaron Nesmith
Grant Williams
Robert Williams

I don't think any of these guys stand out vs the players the Pistons already have on the roster (Maybe Pritchard, but the Pistons used a lottery on Hayes).
circa70
Sophomore
And1: 34

Post#9 » by circa70 » Thu Mar 4, 2021 9:16 pm

GMs across the league have probably have Ainge's number as "Scam Likely." He has to use the press to offer trades. No one wants to deal with that snake
Cassius
RealGM
And1: 3,963

Post#10 » by Cassius » Fri Mar 5, 2021 12:41 am

circa70 wrote:GMs across the league have probably have Ainge's number as "Scam Likely." He has to use the press to offer trades. No one wants to deal with that snake

I almost choked reading this lol :lol: :lol:
I_Like_Dirt wrote:The whole comparison to Kevin McHale is ridiculously close, imo... And that's without more hilarious aspects of the comparison, e.g. if Wally Sczerbiak were 7 feet tall with the slower reflexes that came with the additional height, he'd be Bargnani.
pagal
Starter
And1: 2,078

Post#11 » by pagal » Fri Mar 5, 2021 6:21 am

celticfan42487 wrote:As a Celtics fan ummmmm with what freaking asset?

I'm sure we're also targeting LeBron but I'm not sure how a realistic trade could happen.

yet another bullsh*t trade floated out by that garbage front office. I wonder if DA plans to offer h-jobs to make up for the missing talent to offer in the trade?
pagal
Starter

Post#12 » by pagal » Fri Mar 5, 2021 6:22 am

circa70 wrote:GMs across the league have probably have Ainge's number as "Scam Likely." He has to use the press to offer trades. No one wants to deal with that snake

likely in the address book as "snake who tried to trade buma** Kemba with a broken knee".
bj2323
Junior
And1: 31

Post#13 » by bj2323 » Fri Mar 5, 2021 1:20 pm

DA did a masterful job acquiring draft picks, but damn, outside of Tatum and Brown, he was awful with his selections.
I likes sports
celticfan42487
RealGM

Post#14 » by celticfan42487 » Fri Mar 5, 2021 3:32 pm

pagal wrote:

yet another bullsh*t trade floated out by that garbage front office. I wonder if DA plans to offer h-jobs to make up for the missing talent to offer in the trade?

In what way does it benefit Ainge to have this rumor out there. To put pressure on him to deliver something that's impossible to deliver?

I think you're mad at the wrong person, the only one that benefits from this is the media that gets clicks. Same reason they say everyone is going to LA and NY or everyone secretly when they're a free agent are going to NY or LA.

They have 0 accountability and infinite incentives to just make up rumors so they can show their bosses they make money (generate clicks).
objectivefan
Junior
And1: 66

Post#15 » by objectivefan » Fri Mar 5, 2021 4:01 pm

kenwood3333 wrote:Ainge will probably ask the Pistons to attach a pick as part of the trade.

This sounds about right when dealing with Ainge.

We will offer out our trade exception and you give us your best player and throw an unprotected first-round pick a well

After the trade deadline we should expect this quote:

Ainge: we could have had Jerami Grant but the price was too high
pagal
Starter

Post#16 » by pagal » Fri Mar 5, 2021 4:13 pm

celticfan42487 wrote:
pagal wrote:

In what way does it benefit Ainge to have this rumor out there. To put pressure on him to deliver something that's impossible to deliver?

I think you're mad at the wrong person, the only one that benefits from this is the media that gets clicks. Same reason they say everyone is going to LA and NY or everyone secretly when they're a free agent are going to NY or LA.

They have 0 accountability and infinite incentives to just make up rumors so they can show their bosses they make money (generate clicks).

It benefits him because when it doesn't happen he can say that they tried but Orlando didn't want to deal with us or someone else gave an unreasonable offer, etc.

It's always the same sh*t with this FO and media homers though and I'm sure smart fans like yourself are able to see through this at some point, i.e. could've had _____ in draft but somehow drafted trash outside of top 5 picks, now it says they are are "interested" in Vucevic - no f'in sh*t, I'm interested in prime Jessica Alba with her current bank account.

It's funny though that outside of Ric Bucher there have been almost no mentions of him trying to push Kemba over the summer, knowing he was on a bum knee and now other GMs are pissed at him.
celticfan42487
RealGM

Post#17 » by celticfan42487 » Fri Mar 5, 2021 6:37 pm

pagal wrote:
celticfan42487 wrote:
pagal wrote:

It benefits him because when it doesn't happen he can say that they tried but Orlando didn't want to deal with us or someone else gave an unreasonable offer, etc.

It's always the same sh*t with this FO and media homers though and I'm sure smart fans like yourself are able to see through this at some point, i.e. could've had _____ in draft but somehow drafted trash outside of top 5 picks, now it says they are are "interested" in Vucevic - no f'in sh*t, I'm interested in prime Jessica Alba with her current bank account.

It's funny though that outside of Ric Bucher there have been almost no mentions of him trying to push Kemba over the summer, knowing he was on a bum knee and now other GMs are pissed at him.

I think it's the opposite. But I guess it depends on the market, smart homers like me know it's not possible. But the average fan who is even on sports radio doesn't understand contracts or salary matching and I can tell you what's going to happen.

80% of fans that don't get contracts in Boston market: wtf we suck why didn't we get Grant or Vuc
20% of fans that are realgm level: How would we do that, we'd need to match salary and actually offer something of value
80% of fans, all local media, all sports radio: I don't know what you just said but it's irrelevant and it's proof anyone else would have gotten them for free

In the end outside of markets that get superstars for free like NY or LA Ainge's record shows 0 reason for him to be fired. He just made the ECF 3 out of the last 4 seasons. And he hits when it counts, and he's done that with a ton of horrible luck (Hayward, IT, Kemba injuries all who were ironmen before acquired. And then Irving was a fine and acceptable risk to take to try for AD).

Yeah I mean it sucks he hasn't found Jimmy Butler or something outside of the lottery but eh, there's 0 reason a new stranger GM would find him there either.

Return to Wiretap Discussion