NBA All-Star Game Has Record Low Viewership But Better Than Anticipated Rating

Moderators: Domejandro, bwgood77

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
Posts: 82,575
And1: 229
Joined: Mar 19, 2013

NBA All-Star Game Has Record Low Viewership But Better Than Anticipated Rating 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Tue Mar 9, 2021 6:02 pm

The 2021 NBA All-Star Game was down 24 percent in ratings and 18 percent in viewership from 2020, making it the lowest rated and least-watched edition of the game.


But the All-Star Game ranks as the highest rated NBA telecast of the season and ranks as the most-watched non-football sportscast since the World Series.


The Finals, by comparison, were down 49 percent year-over-year. 


The All-Star Game was the highest rated telecast of the night for adults between 18 and 34, even beating Oprah Winfrey's interview of Meghan Markle and Prince Harry on CBS.

Via Paulsen/SportsMediaWatch

the13thjoker
Sophomore
Posts: 197
And1: 30
Joined: Sep 29, 2016
         

Re: NBA All-Star Game Has Record Low Viewership But Better Than Anticipated Rating 

Post#2 » by the13thjoker » Tue Mar 9, 2021 8:15 pm

"ranks as the most-watched non-football sportscast since the World Series."

Cool... so it beat spring training and hockey :-?
Donnyxc
Starter
Posts: 2,485
And1: 247
Joined: May 03, 2013
 

Re: NBA All-Star Game Has Record Low Viewership But Better Than Anticipated Rating 

Post#3 » by Donnyxc » Tue Mar 9, 2021 8:49 pm

Younger generation isn't watching it





































































...on TV
"If I had to choose a player to take a shot to save a game I'd choose Michael Jordan; If I had to choose a player to take a shot to save my life...I'd take Larry Bird." - Pat Riley
DoctorDunc
Sophomore
Posts: 173
And1: 25
Joined: Nov 07, 2019

Re: NBA All-Star Game Has Record Low Viewership But Better Than Anticipated Rating 

Post#4 » by DoctorDunc » Tue Mar 9, 2021 9:02 pm

nor the older generation!
t-rexCity
Junior
Posts: 330
And1: 54
Joined: Apr 30, 2015
         

Re: NBA All-Star Game Has Record Low Viewership But Better Than Anticipated Rating 

Post#5 » by t-rexCity » Tue Mar 9, 2021 9:25 pm

Tbh I don't get why NBA gets a bad rep for its rating. After all, aren't the NBA players one of the highest paid athletes out there? The revenue is still significantly better if you compare it to the size of the roster and venue. They get 5 players to play and max of 15 players per team. The closest comparison would be hockey and it's not even close. It's one of the most popular sports in the world. Nobody outside USA knows who Tom Brady is yet Kobe, MJ are the most recognizable names in the world. The only problem with NBA remains the amount of timeouts and foul calls. You get rid of that and it becomes a very fun game to watch.
Spud2nique
General Manager
Posts: 8,419
And1: 4,988
Joined: Jul 01, 2017

Re: NBA All-Star Game Has Record Low Viewership But Better Than Anticipated Rating 

Post#6 » by Spud2nique » Wed Mar 10, 2021 10:38 am

I am proud to say I boycotted the entire thing! :D
GO HAWKS!!! :thumbsup:
TheCage4
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
Posts: 7,704
And1: 285
Joined: Aug 22, 2001
Location: NY
       

Re: NBA All-Star Game Has Record Low Viewership But Better Than Anticipated Rating 

Post#7 » by TheCage4 » Wed Mar 10, 2021 12:24 pm

All-Star weekend, in a normal year, is really just not that entertaining. The dunk contest has been dead for years. The skills challenge is uninspired and the actual All-Star game is a laugh.

The only competition that remains semi-competitive, IMO, is the 3-point contest.
“And where once you had the freedom to object, to think and speak as you saw fit, you now have censors and systems of surveillance coercing your conformity and soliciting your submission.” -Alan Moore
jk31
Senior
Posts: 652
And1: 380
Joined: Feb 15, 2014
 

Re: NBA All-Star Game Has Record Low Viewership But Better Than Anticipated Rating 

Post#8 » by jk31 » Wed Mar 10, 2021 12:38 pm

t-rexCity wrote:Tbh I don't get why NBA gets a bad rep for its rating. After all, aren't the NBA players one of the highest paid athletes out there? The revenue is still significantly better if you compare it to the size of the roster and venue. They get 5 players to play and max of 15 players per team. The closest comparison would be hockey and it's not even close. It's one of the most popular sports in the world. Nobody outside USA knows who Tom Brady is yet Kobe, MJ are the most recognizable names in the world. The only problem with NBA remains the amount of timeouts and foul calls. You get rid of that and it becomes a very fun game to watch.

Tom Brady is a Well known Person outside of the US. even 10 years back many non-football Fans knew at least his name.
Lockdown504090
Lead Assistant
Posts: 5,841
And1: 5,903
Joined: Nov 24, 2015
         

Re: NBA All-Star Game Has Record Low Viewership But Better Than Anticipated Rating 

Post#9 » by Lockdown504090 » Wed Mar 10, 2021 3:19 pm

RATINGS ARE NOT NEWS. NOBODY CARES
User avatar
DangerCurtis
Sophomore
Posts: 215
And1: 6
Joined: Oct 28, 2009
Location: Hokkaido, Japan

Re: NBA All-Star Game Has Record Low Viewership But Better Than Anticipated Rating 

Post#10 » by DangerCurtis » Wed Mar 10, 2021 3:54 pm

Year after year the NBA touts the Allstar Weekend as being "for the fans". Not sure how they figure that when it's for the players. Across all sports, All Star games are not that entertaining for fans. Let the players have a break in the middle of the season and continue the tradition, but let's not make it about the fans.
t-rexCity
Junior
Posts: 330
And1: 54
Joined: Apr 30, 2015
         

Re: NBA All-Star Game Has Record Low Viewership But Better Than Anticipated Rating 

Post#11 » by t-rexCity » Thu Mar 11, 2021 1:13 pm

jk31 wrote:
t-rexCity wrote:Tbh I don't get why NBA gets a bad rep for its rating. After all, aren't the NBA players one of the highest paid athletes out there? The revenue is still significantly better if you compare it to the size of the roster and venue. They get 5 players to play and max of 15 players per team. The closest comparison would be hockey and it's not even close. It's one of the most popular sports in the world. Nobody outside USA knows who Tom Brady is yet Kobe, MJ are the most recognizable names in the world. The only problem with NBA remains the amount of timeouts and foul calls. You get rid of that and it becomes a very fun game to watch.

Tom Brady is a Well known Person outside of the US. even 10 years back many non-football Fans knew at least his name.

You mean non football American fans know his name right? Cause I can guarantee you, outside US and Canada nobody has a clue who he is. Maybe he's known in Germany for marrying a model but I think that's even a stretch lol
jk31
Senior
Posts: 652
And1: 380
Joined: Feb 15, 2014
 

Re: NBA All-Star Game Has Record Low Viewership But Better Than Anticipated Rating 

Post#12 » by jk31 » Thu Mar 11, 2021 10:03 pm

t-rexCity wrote:
jk31 wrote:
t-rexCity wrote:Tbh I don't get why NBA gets a bad rep for its rating. After all, aren't the NBA players one of the highest paid athletes out there? The revenue is still significantly better if you compare it to the size of the roster and venue. They get 5 players to play and max of 15 players per team. The closest comparison would be hockey and it's not even close. It's one of the most popular sports in the world. Nobody outside USA knows who Tom Brady is yet Kobe, MJ are the most recognizable names in the world. The only problem with NBA remains the amount of timeouts and foul calls. You get rid of that and it becomes a very fun game to watch.

Tom Brady is a Well known Person outside of the US. even 10 years back many non-football Fans knew at least his name.

You mean non football American fans know his name right? Cause I can guarantee you, outside US and Canada nobody has a clue who he is. Maybe he's known in Germany for marrying a model but I think that's even a stretch lol


i cannot talk about American non Football Fans, as i do live in germany. and i Know that nearly everyone i Know knows who Tom brady is. Most of them are nö Football Fans.
t-rexCity
Junior
Posts: 330
And1: 54
Joined: Apr 30, 2015
         

Re: NBA All-Star Game Has Record Low Viewership But Better Than Anticipated Rating 

Post#13 » by t-rexCity » Fri Mar 19, 2021 11:52 am

jk31 wrote:
t-rexCity wrote:
jk31 wrote:Tom Brady is a Well known Person outside of the US. even 10 years back many non-football Fans knew at least his name.

You mean non football American fans know his name right? Cause I can guarantee you, outside US and Canada nobody has a clue who he is. Maybe he's known in Germany for marrying a model but I think that's even a stretch lol


i cannot talk about American non Football Fans, as i do live in germany. and i Know that nearly everyone i Know knows who Tom brady is. Most of them are nö Football Fans.

Me too. I live in Germany too. Where are you located? Downtown? Nobody knows Tom Brady here. I asked my neighbors and they said das echt neit. Don't you agree?

Return to Wiretap Discussion