John Collins 'Unlikely' To Be Traded By Deadline

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

John Collins 'Unlikely' To Be Traded By Deadline 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Thu Mar 18, 2021 6:56 pm

John Collins has been the subject of trade rumors as he's a few months away from becoming a restricted free agent, but a deal would be difficult for the Atlanta Hawks to consummate as they push for a return to the playoffs. Collins also makes just $4.14 million this season, which makes matching salary difficult for the Hawks in getting a return that can contribute to them immediately. 

"John Collins, I think, is unlikely to leave Atlanta," said Adrian Wojnarowski. "I don't think they can find value on a rookie contract for him. They're 6-0 since Nate McMillan took over as head coach. I think they can figure out John Collins' future... There was a limit they were willing to go in negations, around $90 million on an extension. He'll be a restricted free agent. They can figure that out after the season."

Collins is averaging 18.0 points and 7.8 rebounds per game in 30.6 minutes this season.

Via Adrian Wojnarowski/ESPN

fuller4379
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,486

Re: John Collins 'Unlikely' To Be Traded By Deadline 

Post#2 » by fuller4379 » Thu Mar 18, 2021 7:14 pm

He will get a max contract this offseason. The question for Atlanta is whether or not they will match it.
meekrab
RealGM
And1: 8,955

Post#3 » by meekrab » Thu Mar 18, 2021 8:08 pm

They want to make the playoffs this season which makes trading him complicated since most of the value of most offers would be in draft picks.
niha17
Rookie
And1: 69

Post#4 » by niha17 » Thu Mar 18, 2021 8:54 pm

fuller4379 wrote:He will get a max contract this offseason. The question for Atlanta is whether or not they will match it.

I hope they dont resign him i want him in chicago
LaRance
Bench Warmer
And1: 104

Post#5 » by LaRance » Thu Mar 18, 2021 9:21 pm

Collins is not a max contract player... i'm not sure if he will be in the future either. Maybe some desperate team will offer him a max contract. Now that Hawks have Clint Capela, theres no need to over pay Collins
hippesthippo
Assistant Coach
And1: 3,306

Post#6 » by hippesthippo » Thu Mar 18, 2021 9:37 pm

I see a sign-and-trade in his future. It seems clear that the Hawks don't view Collins as a player they can build a contender around on a max contract. However, he's too talented to simply let him walk. It will be interesting to see where he ends up next year.
Dino353
Sixth Man
And1: 1,246

Post#7 » by Dino353 » Thu Mar 18, 2021 10:37 pm

I see this being a Malcolm Brogdon situation all over again. Atlanta makes offer and a team like Dallas comes along and takes him off their hands with a higher offer. He would be perfect alongside Doncic.
BigTex
Senior
And1: 79

Post#8 » by BigTex » Fri Mar 19, 2021 1:06 am

Dallas has significant interest in him. But right now, I don't think that a trade is likely. Dallas doesn't have any significant assett that the Hawks would value more than making the playoffs this year that they can trade for him. Atlanta would probably like to make the playoffs and would value that more than a small contract, even Brunson. And even if Collins walks, they can hope to get an asset in a sign and trade.
D21
Assistant Coach
And1: 658

Post#9 » by D21 » Fri Mar 19, 2021 3:57 am

Or they can also say that Sabonis is All-Star and has a 80M/4years contract and they offer 100M/4years to a non-All-Star, which looks a good contract, and what Collins was asking ;-)
If they continue to play well with McMillan, and Bogdanovic back at the same time, which is also important, and they get Hunter back soon, it will be :
A - Collins wants to stay in a improving team and get 100M and feed several generations in only 4 years, and have a lot more years to earn more
B - he prefers Max money in a unknow project
C - B and ATL match, but they get less chance to have a full competitive roster for years to come as it will set the base for everybody else asking in proportion of what he got.

Return to Wiretap Discussion