Mike Brown 'Talking' To Wes Iwundu, Jahlil Okafor After Monte Morris Commits To Nigeria

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

Mike Brown 'Talking' To Wes Iwundu, Jahlil Okafor After Monte Morris Commits To Nigeria 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Sat Mar 20, 2021 9:07 pm

Mike Brown said that he has had discussions with Wes Iwundu and Jahlil Okafor over representing Nigeria in this summer's Olympics.

"I have been talking to Wes, Jahlil; he has been to Nigeria and spent some time there when he was 11, 12 years old. He's a guy that I am excited about. We all should be excited about a guy like Jahlil because of his talent and his ability on that low post," said Brown.

Brown's comments come after Monte Morris committed to the Nigerian national team.

The roster includes current NBA players Morris, Spencer Dinwiddie, Al-Farouq AminuJosh Okogie, and Chimezie Metu. 

Brown noted that more NBA players have approached him about potentially representing the country.

"The crazy part is there are a lot more American players and coaches that have approached me about being a part of the team, whether it is from a coaching standpoint or from a playing standpoint, and I look at it as fantastic for the program."

Via Colin Udoh/ESPN

IAMZOOTED2
Analyst
And1: 2,414

Re: Mike Brown 'Talking' To Wes Iwundu, Jahlil Okafor After Monte Morris Commits To Nigeria 

Post#2 » by IAMZOOTED2 » Sun Mar 21, 2021 8:44 am

How does that work? Do players renounce their American citizenship? Posses dual citizenship passports? Or can these fellas all trace their heritage back to Nigeria?
A single sharp pepper is better than a basketful of gourds.
Harper4Ferry?
Starter
And1: 78

Re: Mike Brown 'Talking' To Wes Iwundu, Jahlil Okafor After Monte Morris Commits To Nigeria 

Post#3 » by Harper4Ferry? » Sun Mar 21, 2021 4:58 pm

IAMZOOTED2 wrote:How does that work? Do players renounce their American citizenship? Posses dual citizenship passports? Or can these fellas all trace their heritage back to Nigeria?

It's not really that complicated. They (maybe) just have to have some sort of heritage and qualify as a "national" of foreign country. Pooh Jeter used to play for Ukraine.
HotelVitale
RealGM
And1: 9,806

Post#4 » by HotelVitale » Sun Mar 21, 2021 6:19 pm

Harper4Ferry? wrote:
IAMZOOTED2 wrote:How does that work? Do players renounce their American citizenship? Posses dual citizenship passports? Or can these fellas all trace their heritage back to Nigeria?
It's not really that complicated. They (maybe)O just have to have some sort of heritage and qualify as a "national" of foreign country. Pooh Jeter used to play for Ukraine.

No, it's makes much less sense and is weirder than that--you don't have to have any heritage whatsoever, you just have to take part in some minimal process that allows you to get a passport. Those players definitely don't become citizens of that country, they literally just play for them in the Olympics and that's that. Random black dudes from like Cleveland have played for the Russian and Turkish teams before.

I usually don't go for narrative wars in sports, but this one's getting to me--don't see what the point is if players can just raise their hand and play for whatever country they want to. (Though to be fair there's a hard limit on how many players can do this per country).
Revived
RealGM
And1: 19,424

Post#5 » by Revived » Sun Mar 21, 2021 9:39 pm

HotelVitale wrote:
Harper4Ferry? wrote:
It's not really that complicated. They (maybe)O just have to have some sort of heritage and qualify as a "national" of foreign country. Pooh Jeter used to play for Ukraine.

No, it's makes much less sense and is weirder than that--you don't have to have any heritage whatsoever, you just have to take part in some minimal process that allows you to get a passport. Those players definitely don't become citizens of that country, they literally just play for them in the Olympics and that's that. Random black dudes from like Cleveland have played for the Russian and Turkish teams before.

I usually don't go for narrative wars in sports, but this one's getting to me--don't see what the point is if players can just raise their hand and play for whatever country they want to. (Though to be fair there's a hard limit on how many players can do this per country).

Do you have to surrender US passport/US citizenship to do this?
HotelVitale
RealGM
And1: 9,806

Post#6 » by HotelVitale » Sun Mar 21, 2021 9:47 pm

Revived wrote:
HotelVitale wrote:
Harper4Ferry? wrote: It's not really that complicated. They (maybe)O just have to have some sort of heritage and qualify as a "national" of foreign country. Pooh Jeter used to play for Ukraine.

Definitely not. It's really nothing, you just get a passport and spend maybe a couple weeks practicing in the country. Nothing more to it. You could join the Japanese national team tomorrow and nothing would change in your life.
Harper4Ferry?
Starter
And1: 78

Post#7 » by Harper4Ferry? » Sun Mar 21, 2021 9:48 pm

it's just the olympics. Different countries have different pathways to citizenship/getting a a passport.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-olympics-basketball-hammon-idUSN3050530820080801
Revived
RealGM
And1: 19,424

Post#8 » by Revived » Sun Mar 21, 2021 11:00 pm

HotelVitale wrote:
Revived wrote:
HotelVitale wrote:

Definitely not. It's really nothing, you just get a passport and spend maybe a couple weeks practicing in the country. Nothing more to it. You could join the Japanese national team tomorrow and nothing would change in your life.

Lol interesting. Didn’t know that. I thought there was a more sophisticated process behind it.

Return to Wiretap Discussion