NBA Seeking $75 Billion Over Nine Years With Next TV Deals

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

NBA Seeking $75 Billion Over Nine Years With Next TV Deals 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Tue Mar 23, 2021 2:01 am

The NBA could get $70.2 billion over nine years in its next television contract, according to one person familiar with sports media deals.

According to the early thinking within league circles, the NBA will seek $75 billion, which would be more than an increase of 213 percent from its current deal of $24 billion.

The NBA is currently making $2.6 billion per year in its current agreement with Turner Sports and ESPN.

At $7 billion to $8 billion per season, the league would close the gap with the NFL's new $10 billion per year average. 

“I think everyone expects that so long as the public is demonstrating through ratings that they are watching the NBA, you can probably expect increases there as well,” said former CBS Sports president Neal Pilson. “I would think the NBA is going to look for significant increases.”

On a media call last week discussing the NFL’s new rights, ESPN President Jimmy Pitaro said the network is “very pleased” with the NBA’s partnership and “how those games have performed.”

Via Jabari Young/CNBC

FreeBoosie
Senior
And1: 119

Re: NBA Seeking $75 Billion Over Nine Years With Next TV Deals 

Post#2 » by FreeBoosie » Tue Mar 23, 2021 2:18 am

Don't take the bait tv providers, won't be worth it.
donemilio21
Analyst
And1: 774

Post#3 » by donemilio21 » Tue Mar 23, 2021 2:54 am

That would certainly raise the salary cap to north of $160M.
DoctorDunc
Junior
And1: 45

Post#4 » by DoctorDunc » Tue Mar 23, 2021 3:02 am

Not likely with the dope Adam Silver at the helm.
5paceman
Pro Prospect
And1: 486

Post#5 » by 5paceman » Tue Mar 23, 2021 3:42 am

Give him nothing for this WWE. I'm a goddamn democrat but don't want a league hocking politics as we watch them wax and wane. I support things like M4A broken and BLM, morphed into Biden, Billionaires as candidates for the least. We won, what happened?
BostonCouchGM
Head Coach
And1: 4,857

Post#6 » by BostonCouchGM » Tue Mar 23, 2021 4:20 am

They’re dreaming. Networks would be stupid or desperate to pay that. Might be worth $50 billion at most. It’s a dying league about to get worse once Lebron is gone
brooklynbrawler
Junior
And1: 350

Post#7 » by brooklynbrawler » Tue Mar 23, 2021 7:21 am

Love basketball and the NBA, but the league is smoking crack if they think they can get a deal like that
Please........... no more
Heat_team02
RealGM
And1: 2,895

Post#8 » by Heat_team02 » Tue Mar 23, 2021 11:27 am

It's an easy sell just keep playing in the bubble.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
EAS Law
Analyst
And1: 3,456

Post#9 » by EAS Law » Tue Mar 23, 2021 1:58 pm

Imagine having to pitch this offer while the data shows steady public interest/viewership decline year over year, and you have to convince execs that people generally didn’t want to watch sports in a time where there is virtually nothing else to do for about half of the US.

I suppose they’re really banking on their passive support for genocide in China
BarryLird
Pro Prospect
And1: 517

Post#10 » by BarryLird » Tue Mar 23, 2021 3:15 pm

EAS Law wrote:Imagine having to pitch this offer while the data shows steady public interest/viewership decline year over year, and you have to convince execs that people generally didn’t want to watch sports in a time where there is virtually nothing else to do for about half of the US.

As opposed to banking on the US who is helping Saudi Arabia commit genocide in Yemen? We're no angels either. Stop pretending to care.
EAS Law
Analyst
And1: 3,456

Post#11 » by EAS Law » Tue Mar 23, 2021 3:42 pm

BarryLird wrote:
EAS Law wrote:Imagine having to pitch this offer while the data shows steady public interest/viewership decline year over year, and you have to convince execs that people generally didn’t want to watch sports in a time where there is virtually nothing else to do for about half of the US.

As opposed to banking on the US who is helping Saudi Arabia commit genocide in Yemen? We're no angels either. Stop pretending to care.

My apologies, can you direct me to any documented event where the US government somehow sanctioned the NBA for allowing its players, management, or staff to express concern or discontent with policies of government? Maybe show me where the NBA then went on to completely ignore the issue after it was clearly brought to their attention? Why do you suppose I feign concern for the genocide of any group of people? Maybe a little bit of grandstanding on your part to feel morally or intellectually superior today? Last, does your point in any way contradict the hypothesis that the NBA seeks a larger media deal despite documented lows in viewership in the US because they’re relying on revenue from the CCP market?
Econgrad
Rookie
And1: 80

Post#12 » by Econgrad » Tue Mar 23, 2021 3:47 pm

Wow, this thread sure took a turn.
Not sure how the NBA can justify that price tag as so many people are consuming the content via 10 minute youtube highlight packages. I can't see how a broadcaster can get a good return on their investment without shutting down the NBA youtube site.
PDXKnight
RealGM
And1: 2,676

Post#13 » by PDXKnight » Tue Mar 23, 2021 4:37 pm

BostonCouchGM wrote:They’re dreaming. Networks would be stupid or desperate to pay that. Might be worth $50 billion at most. It’s a dying league about to get worse once Lebron is gone

haven’t nba fans said this same notion about once every generational player retires? after mj there were new stars and after lebron there’s giannis and plenty of other big names to carry the fort
dan-man
Sixth Man
And1: 364

Post#14 » by dan-man » Tue Mar 23, 2021 4:39 pm

DoctorDunc wrote:Not likely with the dope Adam Silver at the helm.

The best commissioner in the history of sports is no dope.
DoctorDunc
Junior
And1: 45

Post#15 » by DoctorDunc » Tue Mar 23, 2021 5:01 pm

The NBA has to get the agenda back to competitive basketball and roster continuity. Often displayed on this chatroom and others is the hypocritical prominence of the social and political agenda that the NBA promotes with energy. It is not what many people want to spend their entertainment dollar on. The players teaming up is out of control. Players sitting out games for whatever reason is a joke. Trades that force roster turnover to match salaries are not in the average fan's interest. The whole regular season has been badly devalued. They need a new commissioner to go forward. With the clueless leader Adam Silver in charge, its hard to see the NBA maxing its viewership and getting a great contract.
MitchB3
Starter
And1: 144

Post#16 » by MitchB3 » Tue Mar 23, 2021 6:38 pm

They'll need to change their entire image, become a more center-leaning league.

Return to Wiretap Discussion