Lakers Offered Dennis Schroder Full Amount Allowed On Extension

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 292

Lakers Offered Dennis Schroder Full Amount Allowed On Extension 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Tue Mar 30, 2021 6:02 pm

Dennis Schroder is scheduled to become a free agent with the Los Angeles Lakers this offseason and he appears unlikely to sign an extension during the season.

A report before the deadline indicated the Lakers and Schroder were far apart on extension talks.

"What is going to happen with Dennis Schroder and the Lakers long-term here?" said Brian Windhorst on his podcast. "They were absolutely offering him for Kyle Lowry last week. And here's the thing: so Schroder became eligible to sign a contract extension in late February, so at least a month now. From what I understand, they've had contract talks and they couldn't agree to an extension. Now, the most that Schroder could extend for under his current contract, because when you extend a contract, you're under some limit on how much you can get a raise. The maximum he can sign for is four years and $84 million if he totally maxes out what he's able to do on an extension. That is very close to the contract Fred VanVleet signed with the Toronto Raptors last offseason."

The Lakers may have already offered Schroder the full amount allowed on an extension.

"What I've been told and this rumor is pretty widely out there so I doubt it's very surprising, is that the Lakers did indeed offer him that $84 million over four years. Now, this is where we get in a gray area. Was it fully guaranteed? Was it partially guaranteed? Were there incentives? Blah, blah, blah. But I believe he was offered a contract in that realm and he said 'no' to that extension. And the Lakers subsequently offered him in trade for Kyle Lowry.

"What does this mean for Schroder coming out of this season? There is not going to be a deep free agent market for point guards. There are going to be a number of teams out there who need to sign them."

Via Brian Windhorst/ESPN

PDXKnight
RealGM
And1: 2,676

Re: Lakers Offered Dennis Schroder Full Amount Allowed On Extension 

Post#2 » by PDXKnight » Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:36 pm

if he turned down 84 mil he’s gonna regret that one
ecuhus1981
RealGM
And1: 1,427

Post#3 » by ecuhus1981 » Tue Mar 30, 2021 10:30 pm

This PG market is deeper than Windhorst thinks, and the pool of teams that have the capspace PLUS the positional need to sign a free agent PG who wants $25mil+ per year is small.

Conley, Paul and Lowry will all be higher priorities than Dennis on the open market. Holiday, Oladipo, Ball, Powell, Dinwiddie and Dragic are additional guards I would prefer over Schroeder.

Coming off of last season, many thought DS had turned the corner. But he's playing next to 2 superstars this year, and has regressed to the Atlanta version of himself.
Some people really have a way with words. Other people... not... have... way.
-- Steve Martin
TheShow2021
Junior
And1: 532

Post#4 » by TheShow2021 » Tue Mar 30, 2021 10:40 pm

Paying Schroder over 20m/yr is a mistake. He's not that much better than Caruso especially considering the fit with Lebron and AD.
TimeisIllmatic
Sixth Man
And1: 318

Post#5 » by TimeisIllmatic » Wed Mar 31, 2021 12:12 am

Oden2 wrote:if he turned down 84 mil he’s gonna regret that one

Yep, he will be at the bottom of the list after the better PG's.
Jedzz
RealGM
And1: 2,506

Post#6 » by Jedzz » Wed Mar 31, 2021 12:53 am

Sorry fellas. That 4 fo 80 isn't going to cut it. I want teh 4 for 84 plus Lebron's front row parking spot.

Imagine the balls of some of these players. I guess they can get ballsy once their accounts are already overflowing. It's not like he's concerned he's going to have to go play in China to keep feeding the kids.
Dmagic
Pro Prospect
And1: 297

Post#7 » by Dmagic » Wed Mar 31, 2021 1:40 am

lets be real this is a bad sign. lakers aint winning it
dautjazz
RealGM
And1: 9,560

Post#8 » by dautjazz » Wed Mar 31, 2021 2:42 am

Honestly he's not that good. Can't shoot the 3, for a pretty high volume shooter, he's quite inefficient. I don't really watch him, but I can't recall people raving about his defense, and his assists for a PG were never that high. The Lakers can easily replace him, I'd let him go at that price.
NickAnderson wrote:
How old are you, just curious.

by gomeziee on 21 Jul 2013 00:53

im 20, and i did grow up watching MJ play in the 90's.
kellmellus50
Starter
And1: 142

Post#9 » by kellmellus50 » Wed Mar 31, 2021 1:00 pm

thats what people said about golliday
PDXKnight
RealGM
And1: 2,676

Post#10 » by PDXKnight » Wed Mar 31, 2021 1:13 pm

dautjazz wrote:Honestly he's not that good. Can't shoot the 3, for a pretty high volume shooter, he's quite inefficient. I don't really watch him, but I can't recall people raving about his defense, and his assists for a PG were never that high. The Lakers can easily replace him, I'd let him go at that price.

yup
Psubs
RealGM
And1: 10,623

Post#11 » by Psubs » Wed Mar 31, 2021 2:12 pm

Knicks!
dan-man
Sixth Man
And1: 364

Post#12 » by dan-man » Wed Mar 31, 2021 2:42 pm

Dmagic wrote:lets be real this is a bad sign. lakers aint winning it

What does this have to do w/this season?
Dmagic
Pro Prospect

Post#13 » by Dmagic » Wed Mar 31, 2021 6:29 pm

dan-man wrote:

THE FACT THIS IS public says alot. the fact that he doesnt know what he wants to do yet shows a bit un-togetherness as a team imo. its just not good for a team with ring aspirations
chilluminati
Starter
And1: 3,885

Post#14 » by chilluminati » Wed Mar 31, 2021 6:46 pm

Maybe he wants a bigger role on a worse team? There are people like that in this league (Jerami Grant is a good example).
Maybe he can somehow raise his max value before the season ends to give him more money later? He could simply just resign with the Lakers in the offseason then.
Or maybe he doesn't like the situation for him? Maybe something personal? There are so many reasons why he might not want to sign.
dan-man
Sixth Man

Post#15 » by dan-man » Wed Mar 31, 2021 8:25 pm

Dmagic wrote:
dan-man wrote:

THE FACT THIS IS public says alot. the fact that he doesnt know what he wants to do yet shows a bit un-togetherness as a team imo. its just not good for a team with ring aspirations

Nah. On-court play is looking good. Winning a ring would put any negotiation issues to rest.
Dmagic
Pro Prospect

Post#16 » by Dmagic » Thu Apr 1, 2021 1:13 am

dan-man wrote:
Dmagic wrote:
dan-man wrote:What does this have to do w/this season?

Nah. On-court play is looking good. Winning a ring would put any negotiation issues to rest.

him talking about things being fair when he was offered the max is a distraction
dan-man
Sixth Man

Post#17 » by dan-man » Thu Apr 1, 2021 5:19 am

Dmagic wrote:
dan-man wrote:
Dmagic wrote:

him talking about things being fair when he was offered the max is a distraction

On the flip side, if he blows out his ACL before the season's end, it's a godsend for the Lakes. Two ways of looking at it.

Return to Wiretap Discussion