Marc Gasol Will Lose Starting Job To Andre Drummond, Lakers Unlikely To Waive Him

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 292

Marc Gasol Will Lose Starting Job To Andre Drummond, Lakers Unlikely To Waive Him 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Tue Mar 30, 2021 8:12 pm

The Los Angeles Lakers are expected to start Andre Drummond at center over Marc Gasol, sources tell Jovan Buha of The Athletic.

Frank Vogel declined to go into any detail about any conversations the Lakers had with Drummond about his role before they signed him.

“I have talked to him personally,” Vogel said. “He’s really excited about this situation. I don’t want to go too far into the nature of those private conversations other than to say that he’s really excited — probably excited as we are. I think our team got a lot better.”

Either way, Drummond is expected to receive less playing time and touches with the Lakers than he did with the Cleveland Cavaliers. 

Gasol is unlikely to be waived by the Lakers, sources tell The Athletic. 

Via Jovan Buha/The Athletic

Parataxis
General Manager
And1: 5,304

Re: Marc Gasol Will Lose Starting Job To Andre Drummond, Lakers Unlikely To Waive Him 

Post#2 » by Parataxis » Tue Mar 30, 2021 8:31 pm

"Either way, Drummond is expected to receive less playing time and touches with the Lakers than he did with the Cleveland Cavaliers. "

Now, I'm not a math genius, but I'm pretty sure it's impossible for Drummond to play less than the zero minutes a game he was playing before being bought-out.
yava
Ballboy
And1: 1

Re: Marc Gasol Will Lose Starting Job To Andre Drummond, Lakers Unlikely To Waive Him 

Post#3 » by yava » Tue Mar 30, 2021 8:42 pm

Such a huge upgrade from Marc Gasol. As long as Drummond can just rebound and defend, I would say the Lakers should have the West pretty much locked up for another trip to the finals. Losing Dwight Howard and Javale McGee really hampered their interior defense so Drummond will help fill in that gap and more.
boomershadow
Forum Mod - Pacers
Forum Mod - Pacers
And1: 6,275

Post#4 » by boomershadow » Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:05 pm

yava wrote:Such a huge upgrade from Marc Gasol. As long as Drummond can just rebound and defend, I would say the Lakers should have the West pretty much locked up for another trip to the finals. Losing Dwight Howard and Javale McGee really hampered their interior defense so Drummond will help fill in that gap and more.
He can't defend.

Sent from my SM-G970U using RealGM mobile app
Revived
RealGM
And1: 19,158

Post#5 » by Revived » Tue Mar 30, 2021 9:46 pm

boomershadow wrote:
yava wrote:Such a huge upgrade from Marc Gasol. As long as Drummond can just rebound and defend, I would say the Lakers should have the West pretty much locked up for another trip to the finals. Losing Dwight Howard and Javale McGee really hampered their interior defense so Drummond will help fill in that gap and more.
He can't defend.

AD and Bron will teach him. He’s not someone that’s challenged size wise like Harrell.
Ballknowledge
Sophomore
And1: 28

Post#6 » by Ballknowledge » Tue Mar 30, 2021 10:12 pm

Revived wrote:
boomershadow wrote:
He can't defend.

AD and Bron will teach him. He’s not someone that’s challenged size wise like Harrell.

The mans been in the league 9 years and played with plenty of other good defenders and decent coaches and has been awful on defence consistently. That ain’t changing in 2 months my man
TheCage4
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 516

Post#7 » by TheCage4 » Wed Mar 31, 2021 1:44 am

I would of liked to see Gasol go out on a high note. If he doesn’t bring a lot to the court off the bench I don’t see him being in the league next year.

Forever Grit & Grind
“And where once you had the freedom to object, to think and speak as you saw fit, you now have censors and systems of surveillance coercing your conformity and soliciting your submission.” -Alan Moore
arasu
Rookie
And1: 147

Post#8 » by arasu » Wed Mar 31, 2021 3:06 am

Ballknowledge wrote:
Revived wrote:
boomershadow wrote:He can't defend.

The mans been in the league 9 years and played with plenty of other good defenders and decent coaches and has been awful on defence consistently. That ain’t changing in 2 months my man

Drummond is polarizing, and we get people going too far either direction with their opinions of his defense. His defensive rebounds, steals, and blocks numbers look pretty good on paper, so some think of him as better on defense than he is. He has played on teams with terrible defensive chemistry and coaching inconsistency, which has contributed to a slightly over-hyped bad reputation on that end. He makes a lot of mental mistakes, is not the vocal defensive leader like Gasol has been, and seems to be lost frequently. But in a simplified scheme, he should flourish in the same way JaVale did. He fills a big hole on the boards for the Lakers, and his ability to force turnovers and decent blocks rate should translate to positive utility. He's not the savior upgrade many Laker fans are looking for, and for that matter, Gasol isn't as bad as many are claiming, but Drummond is a nice fit with the Lakers' needs. Drummonds' detractors may be in for a surprise. Drummond's numbers should take a big hit while with the Lakers, especially after Davis returns, but he fills that Howard/McGee role they've been lacking, which should translate to more team success.
Rek
Senior
And1: 128

Post#9 » by Rek » Wed Mar 31, 2021 3:09 am

TheCage4 wrote:I would of liked to see Gasol go out on a high note. If he doesn’t bring a lot to the court off the bench I don’t see him being in the league next year.

Forever Grit & Grind

I feel the same for Marc. He should have been signed as a backup. He's no longer a starter which was evident well before this season. Also, his shooting range allows him to easily coexist with Trez or AD without clogging the paint.

Still brings value. Just needs to be the right role.
Spot31
Pro Prospect
And1: 527

Post#10 » by Spot31 » Wed Mar 31, 2021 5:45 pm

Revived wrote:
boomershadow wrote:
He can't defend.

James plays defense???
"And we rejoice in the hope of the glory of God. Not only so, but we also rejoice in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; perseverance, character; and character hope." Rom. 5: 2-4

Return to Wiretap Discussion