Re: Warriors Plan To Discuss Four-Year, $217M Extension With Stephen Curry In Offseason

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

Warriors Plan To Discuss Four-Year, $217M Extension With Stephen Curry In Offseason 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Thu Apr 1, 2021 5:23 pm

Stephen Curry was eligible for a three-year, $156 million extension this past offseason with the Golden State Warriors, but it was always more practical for him to wait until the 2021 offseason when he can sign a four-year, $217 million deal.

“It was just one of those things, let’s just talk about it,” Bob Myers told The Athletic of last offseason’s conversations with Curry. “It was such a rushed season and preseason … and with what was going on and dealing with Klay (Thompson’s Achilles injury) and all the things we had going on. People listening may not realize the COVID stuff and dealing with that stuff was so unique. We just very congenially said, ‘Let’s talk about it next season.’

“In his mind, the length matters. It wasn’t contentious. Nobody was upset. It was just, ‘Hey, let’s talk about this at the end of next season.’ And I think that probably meant everybody feels good about the situation. No one was feeling badly about it.”

A four-year extension would extend Curry to 17 seasons, all with the same team and rank him the seventh most in NBA history.

“A person of that stature, for what he’s accomplished here with our organization, they’re almost like a partner, really,” Myers said. “You want them to feel like a partnership in the future. Somebody like that has certainly earned that type of respect.

“You just don’t see it anymore, players like him. I don’t know you’ll see it much at all in the future, people staying in one place. People don’t even go to (the same) high school anymore for four years; they go to three high schools … you can transfer college, you can quit jobs. I have a great reverence for people like him.”

Via Tim Kawakami/The Athletic

Bentley1225
RealGM
And1: 1,562

Re: Warriors Plan To Discuss Four-Year, $217M Extension With Stephen Curry In Offseason 

Post#2 » by Bentley1225 » Thu Apr 1, 2021 5:50 pm

As much as I appreciate what Curry has done for the organization and I respect his abilities/skills, the man is not worth $54 million when he's already the highest paid player for what he's done for GSW organization in his career. I dont want the organization to prolong it for 4 more years when the core of their team have like a 2 year window left to compete at a high level. Id rather a 3 year, $120-150 million contract.
njknicks
Pro Prospect
And1: 113

Post#3 » by njknicks » Thu Apr 1, 2021 6:03 pm

Warriors were able to assemble the ground work of their title run because Curry was essentially on a low budget - team friendly contract from 2013-2017 ( during which they won 2 of 3 titles ). The $217M extension is essentially his market value + back pay for the years where he was underpaid as an elite player in the league while warriors were winning titles & going to the Finals.

Warriors are doing Curry right - and also send a signal around the league that they take care of their players - that's why they have won titles ( & will win more during Curry's remaining prime years ).

Despite being 33, Steph Curry's game is designed for a long run ( jump shot oriented ) -- his major health issue ( ankles ), have seemed to be corrected -- and given the advances in medicine, biometrics, there is no reason to believe he can play at a high level for at least the next 5 to 6 seasons.

Curry's salary during early title runs :

2013-14 Golden State Warriors NBA $9,887,642
2014-15 Golden State Warriors NBA $10,629,213 ( championship )
2015-16 Golden State Warriors NBA $11,370,786
2016-17 Golden State Warriors NBA $12,112,359 ( championship )
Theo Ratliff
Pro Prospect
And1: 718

Post#4 » by Theo Ratliff » Thu Apr 1, 2021 6:18 pm

Their time has come and gone. It's time to accept it. Even with Curry/Greens/Wiggins/Wiseman they are a .500 team. Klay coming back after 2 serious injuries isn't going to make them contenders again.
detlef_schrempf
Junior
And1: 489

Post#5 » by detlef_schrempf » Thu Apr 1, 2021 7:47 pm

Theo Ratliff wrote:Their time has come and gone. It's time to accept it. Even with Curry/Greens/Wiggins/Wiseman they are a .500 team. Klay coming back after 2 serious injuries isn't going to make them contenders again.

Pretty sure everyone HAS accepted it. Lol
DO THE DEW!
oaktownwarriors87
RealGM
And1: 4,354

Post#6 » by oaktownwarriors87 » Thu Apr 1, 2021 7:48 pm

Bentley1225 wrote:As much as I appreciate what Curry has done for the organization and I respect his abilities/skills, the man is not worth $54 million when he's already the highest paid player for what he's done for GSW organization in his career. I dont want the organization to prolong it for 4 more years when the core of their team have like a 2 year window left to compete at a high level. Id rather a 3 year, $120-150 million contract.

What a terrible idea
cdubbz wrote:Donte DiVincenzo will outplay Poole this season.
d-train
RealGM
And1: 1,098

Re: Warriors PLlan To Discuss Four-Year, $217M Extension With Stephen Curry In Offseason 

Post#7 » by d-train » Thu Apr 1, 2021 8:29 pm

Lol, who announces what they plan to discuss?
RipCityKJ
Senior
And1: 205

Post#8 » by RipCityKJ » Thu Apr 1, 2021 8:35 pm

"People listening may not realize the COVID stuff and dealing with that stuff was so unique." WTF!? Does he seriously think COVID only effect him? These billionaires are all condescending brats.
lonzo_pelota
Lead Assistant
And1: 6,554

Post#9 » by lonzo_pelota » Thu Apr 1, 2021 8:36 pm

crunching some numbers, Curry might just retire earning over $100,000 per 3pt shot made :o :o
delsol650
Sixth Man
And1: 61

Post#10 » by delsol650 » Thu Apr 1, 2021 9:13 pm

2022, the starting line up of

Curry, Klay, Wiggins, Draymond, Wiseman = $163.85 million for 1 year. LET THAT SINK IN.... what's the cap again that year and what money is left to field an actual NBA supporting cast and not their typical GLEAGUE scrubs for a bench/role players last 2 years. :noway:
Calimaaade
Ballboy
And1: 0

Post#11 » by Calimaaade » Thu Apr 1, 2021 9:59 pm

Wouldnt be surprised if Curry joins the Lakers for way less and chases after 1-2 more rings, I mean the East has a thee headed monster why not have a three headed monster in the West now too am i right?
airjordanair
Senior
And1: 32

Post#12 » by airjordanair » Fri Apr 2, 2021 4:57 am

[tweet][/tweet]
Calimaaade wrote:Wouldnt be surprised if Curry joins the Lakers for way less and chases after 1-2 more rings, I mean the East has a thee headed monster why not have a three headed monster in the West now too am i right?

Not everyone is cheap like LeBron.
SnoopDub
Junior
And1: 240

Post#13 » by SnoopDub » Fri Apr 2, 2021 5:11 am

delsol650 wrote:2022, the starting line up of

Curry, Klay, Wiggins, Draymond, Wiseman = $163.85 million for 1 year. LET THAT SINK IN.... what's the cap again that year and what money is left to field an actual NBA supporting cast and not their typical GLEAGUE scrubs for a bench/role players last 2 years. :noway:

And theyre complaining that steph has Gleague teammates? Ofc he'll have scrub teammates bec of that amount money from that 5 guys.

One of the big reasons what made the warriors win multiple titles is their good veteran players off the bench.

Return to Wiretap Discussion