Dwyane Wade Buys Ownership Stake In Jazz

Moderators: bwgood77, Domejandro

RealGM Wiretap
RealGM
And1: 293

Dwyane Wade Buys Ownership Stake In Jazz 

Post#1 » by RealGM Wiretap » Fri Apr 16, 2021 5:31 pm

Dwyane Wade has purchased an ownership stake in the Utah Jazz and plans to take an active role in the franchise and region.

Wade is the latest of several Hall of Fame-level players with NBA ownership stakes, including Grant Hill (Atlanta Hawks), Shaquille O'Neal (Sacramento Kings) and Charlotte Hornets majority owner Michael Jordan. Magic Johnson previously had a 4% stake in the Los Angeles Lakers.

"This goes way beyond the dream I had to just play basketball in the NBA," Wade told ESPN. "I've seen Shaq do it in Sacramento. I've seen Grant Hill do it in Atlanta. I've seen Jordan do it in Charlotte. If this partnership is going to be anything like my relationship is with Ryan, there are going to be a lot of things that I'll want to be involved in. ...

"Unfortunately, people in my community don't get this opportunity, and I do not take it lightly to have this opportunity. To make real change, this is where you have to be -- at the top -- and Ryan knows that. I'm thankful for him, and I know too that I bring a lot to this partnership outside of just my basketball knowledge and skills."

Wade met Smith at a golf course in 2019 and they soon became friends. 

The NBA has a bylaw that ownership stakes can be no less than 1% of the team, but Wade's financial investment in the franchise is not immediately clear.

Micky Arison on Twitter expressed disappointment that Wade didn't reconsider a stake in the Miami franchise after previous negotiations.

Via Adrian Wojnarowski/ESPN

Theo Ratliff
Pro Prospect
And1: 718

Re: Dwyane Wade Buys Ownership Stake In Jazz 

Post#2 » by Theo Ratliff » Fri Apr 16, 2021 8:57 pm

This is nothing more than making a few extra dollars every month. Wade and everyone else on that list except Jordan have any power to make decisions.
njknicks
Pro Prospect
And1: 113

Post#3 » by njknicks » Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:22 pm

Applaud Wade for doing what is best for himself -- and getting into sports ownership with the Jazz.

Likely the Heat's refusal to extend his contract ( before he joined Chicago ) - left an irreparable stain on that relationship.

Otherwise, no reason why he would not be part of the front-office / ownership at this point.
objectivefan
Junior
And1: 66

Post#4 » by objectivefan » Fri Apr 16, 2021 11:11 pm

The article doesn't cite the Ownership percentage. Are we talking .001% or something substantial enough to warrant an article?

Also, why didn't this happen in Miami?
Risk Addict
Analyst
And1: 240

Post#5 » by Risk Addict » Fri Apr 16, 2021 11:18 pm

objectivefan wrote:The article doesn't cite the Ownership percentage. Are we talking .001% or something substantial enough to warrant an article?

It does give a minimum though. Has to be greater than 1%. And Miami probably was charging a lot more per percent ownership
Pickled Prunes
General Manager
And1: 1,213

Post#6 » by Pickled Prunes » Sat Apr 17, 2021 1:38 am

Risk Addict wrote:
objectivefan wrote:The article doesn't cite the Ownership percentage. Are we talking .001% or something substantial enough to warrant an article?

It does give a minimum though. Has to be greater than 1%. And Miami probably was charging a lot more per percent ownership

SLC is a 90 min flight from LA, where Wade lives. The Jazz could also benefit from the name brand he brings with him.

Return to Wiretap Discussion